Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is it time to buy a Blu-ray Player???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 OFFLINE   Norm

Norm

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted August 14 2008 - 11:25 AM

I've been out of the loop for a while moving from Florida. I was also low on funds. But its time to get back into HT. I just don't know which Blue-ray player to buy on a budget. Or should I wait for the newer players? what do I need to know before I jump back in? Any info deeply appreciated.

#2 of 21 OFFLINE   jaysonbarnett

jaysonbarnett

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted August 14 2008 - 11:34 AM

i just bought a sony bdp-s350 and could not be happier. also panasonic makes nice players as well. Still the best deal right now is the PS3 because its a game system, blueray player, and media streamer. I just wanted a standalone because it looks better in my rack. if you want to know more about my sony let me know.

#3 of 21 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted August 14 2008 - 11:57 AM

HELL YES it's time! I've got a PS3 and I can't recommend it highly enough. Jump in and enjoy the cool Blu water! Posted Image

#4 of 21 OFFLINE   Norm

Norm

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted August 14 2008 - 12:01 PM

Well I can't use a ps3 due to my disability. So thats out.

#5 of 21 OFFLINE   Kevin. W

Kevin. W

Screenwriter

• 1,546 posts

Posted August 14 2008 - 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm

It still makes an excellent player.

#6 of 21 OFFLINE   Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted August 14 2008 - 02:50 PM

Just picked up the Panasonic BD30, and I can't recommend it enough. I've been holding off on going Blu for ages now, but the 2.0 spec holds no attraction for me. I *do* suggest getting a 1.1 machine though, like the Panny BD30. Posted Image

#7 of 21 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted August 14 2008 - 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonbarnett
i just bought a sony bdp-s350 and could not be happier.

I will second that. I might pick up the 550 too. But the 350 was calling me, and at a nice price.

#8 of 21 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted August 17 2008 - 05:17 PM

Quote:

Rubbish. Operating a PS3 with a BD remote control is NO different from operating any Blu-ray player. In fact, the front-loading mechanism (versus the usual tray-loader) might even make it a touch easier to use. Seriously, the PS3 is an awesome player (with a bunch of other nifty features... web browsing, etc). I've never once used mine for gaming.

#9 of 21 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,222 posts

Posted August 17 2008 - 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Beam
Rubbish. Operating a PS3 with a BD remote control is NO different from operating any Blu-ray player.

Fully agree. BD remote control is great (also Bluetooth) and quite cheap.

Blu-ray players to choose (IMO) - all "profile 2.0" (I would say, that it´s best now to get "full" 2.0-player):

*PS3 (new 80gb model coming soon)
*Panasonic DMP-BD50
(one good review: UltimateAVmag.com: Panasonic DMP-BD50 Blu-ray Player )
*Sony BDP-S550 (not available yet, I guess - coming soon)

I would say one of these three choices.. Posted Image

#10 of 21 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,651 posts

Posted August 18 2008 - 12:33 AM

Although I initially planned buying a PS3, there were reasons not to (no need to go into that now).

But my ever growing BD-library (40+) is screaming for a (Region-A) player, louder and louder all the time, so I'm planning to pick up a new Panasonic DMP-BD50 soon. Is about to come out any moment now. (The next number may even be -55, after CEDIA.)

It's profile 2.0, has the new audio decoders I want and the proper outputs. I guess the price will be something like $599. Probably lower if you look carefully.
Word is that the DVD-upconversion (Reg. 1 of course) is excellent too.

Cees

#11 of 21 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,222 posts

Posted August 18 2008 - 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cees Alons
Word is that the DVD-upconversion (Reg. 1 of course) is excellent too.

Based on the review I linked, upscaling with BD50 could be better. Of course, it´s just "one review".

Also note Cees, that all US players (also PS3) are "NTSC only" (when it comes to SD DVD), so you need to use alternate player for PAL-material (even R0).

European BD50 will support both PAL and NTSC (but is region coded for R2). I guess there are already region hack for BD30/BD50, though.

#12 of 21 OFFLINE   Norm

Norm

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted August 18 2008 - 01:59 AM

I meant playng games on the PS3.

What is profile 2.0?

#13 of 21 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,651 posts

Posted August 18 2008 - 02:31 AM

Jari,

Quote:
Also note Cees, that all US players (also PS3) are "NTSC only" (when it comes to SD DVD)
Yes, but I have a few other players as well. Posted Image
You're right that it needs thinking and planning.

Quote:
I guess there are already region hacks for BD30/BD50, though.
Not heard of anywhere yet, but bound to arrive!

Quote:
Based on the review I linked, upscaling with BD50 could be better.
Mmm. I must admit, my spokesman was discussing the brand new (yet-to-be-announced) BD55. Don't know if there's a difference in this respect.
(Two of my *other* players are known for their excellent upscaling of SDVD.)

Cees

HTF Rules (uhm ... and has Rules)

HTF Mission Statement

#14 of 21 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,222 posts

Posted August 18 2008 - 08:36 AM

Quote:
Yes, but I have a few other players as well. Posted Image
You're right that it needs thinking and planning.

Yes, well I have US PS3 and European Toshiba. So far it has been a pretty good combination (also when it comes to "upscaling"). Then again, the slowness of Toshiba is killing me. Posted Image

Quote:
Not heard of anywhere yet, but bound to arrive!

I have at least one link, but I´m not sure that can I post it here?

Quote:
Mmm. I must admit, my spokesman was discussing the brand new (yet-to-be-announced) BD55. Don't know if there's a difference in this respect.

Ok, I´m now officially confused. Panasonic DMP-BD35 and DMP-BD55-models are actually coming, it seems:
Blu-ray.com - New Panasonic Blu-ray Players to be Announced at CEDIA

"Both feature an updated version of the UniPhier® video processor as well as an Ethernet port for BD-Live compatibility.

The DMP-BD55 will focus on audio reproduction with the addition of 8-channel analog audio outs (the DMP-BD50 only has 6-channel), high quality audio components, and isolation feet to reduce the effects of vibration.

Pricing and availability is expected has yet to be announced, but we expect that both players will be available this holiday season at a premium over the existing (and short supplied) DMP-BD30 and DMP-BD50."

Wow. Thanks for the tip, Cees. I thought, that BD50 is "da s**t" now when it comes to Panasonic.. Posted Image

#15 of 21 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,651 posts

Posted August 18 2008 - 09:26 AM

Quote:
have at least one link, but I´m not sure that can I post it here?
You can.
Overruling the region restriction is not defeating a form of encryption.
(Modified players have been discussed on this forum freely.)

Cees

#16 of 21 OFFLINE   Casey C.

Casey C.

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted August 23 2008 - 02:38 PM

Sony's S350 was the first I had seriously considered. Now I'm waiting for the Panny BD35.

SD upscaling is important to me, high-end audio is not.

Samsung 2250 caught my attention with the Reon, but their players have been too glitchy.

#17 of 21 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,343 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted August 25 2008 - 06:34 AM

Quote:
What is profile 2.0?
I'll ditto this question. Is there a thread that discusses the feat ures of profile 2.0? I believe one of these features is internet capability. When a 2.0 BD player has an ethernet port, does that mean the is not built in, that you have to hook it up to a router or to a wifi adapter?
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#18 of 21 OFFLINE   Rhoq

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted August 25 2008 - 08:07 AM

Quote:
What is profile 2.0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell
I'll ditto this question. Is there a thread that discusses the feat ures of profile 2.0? I believe one of these features is internet capability. When a 2.0 BD player has an ethernet port, does that mean the is not built in, that you have to hook it up to a router or to a wifi adapter?

Because HD DVD had a bit of a head start over Blu-ray, in order to not lose too much ground, Blu-ray was launched in three different phases.

BD Profile 1.0 was the first wave of players released and provides just the basic playback of Blu-ray discs.

BD Profile 1.1 (a/k/a "Bonus View") added BD-J (the specialized version of Java, giving Blu-ray it's "interactive" layer) and secondary video & audio decoders allowing for PIP commentary.

BD Profile 2.0 (a/k/a "BD Live") added web connectivity to take advantage of web-enabled features and additional downloadable content.

While the later profiles are backwards compatible (1.1 with 1.0/2.0 with 1.1 and 1.0), Profile 1.0 players should, at the very least, be able to play the main feature and any content not requiring Profile 1.1/2.0

Profile 1.1 players should be able to play any BD Live enabled discs, just not the BD Live specific content.

http://en.wikipedia.....layer_profiles

#19 of 21 OFFLINE   Norm

Norm

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted August 25 2008 - 09:35 AM

Thanx

#20 of 21 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted August 25 2008 - 10:18 AM

The S350 is a very good unit (I've used one) and the list price is dropping to $300 next month. The SD DVD performance is pretty decent too.

If you can be patient, I'd wait and see what the upcoming BD35 offers.

Back to Blu-ray, DVD, LD, Tivo, Satellite and Other Playback Devices

Forum Nav Content I Follow