Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Quick PS3 connectivity question?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Dan Keliikoa

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted August 14 2008 - 02:26 AM

Hi all,

Sincerest apologies if this has come up ad-nauseum, but I don't have the strength for searching this morning. lol

I'd like to take the plunge for a current 40 gig PS3 in a couple of weeks. What will I need to buy to hook this thing up via HDMI for picture to my tv and digital optical to my receiver for 5.1/7.1 (don't care about HD audio yet...receiver can't do it...and no HDMI switching at my receiver, either)?

I know they come pretty stripped down, but just wondering if I have to get a 'pack' to be able to hook up, or if I can just use off the shelf HDMI and optical cords?

Looking forward to upconverting my SD DVDs, starting a BD collection, and playing some GT and The Show. Currently using a JVC 52" Dila display, but will be going to a Samsung LN52A630 or 650 within the next three months.

Thank you kindly in advance! -Dan
"He is not Herbert. We reach!"

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,575 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 14 2008 - 03:09 AM

Off the shelf HDMI and optical will work fine. That's what I used when I first got my PS3 and had no receiver that could handle HDMI. Coincidentally, I also had a JVC D-ILA 52" TV then as well. All of that has since been upgraded, but you'll be very impressed with the picture.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Dan Keliikoa

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted August 14 2008 - 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattH.
Off the shelf HDMI and optical will work fine. That's what I used when I first got my PS3 and had no receiver that could handle HDMI. Coincidentally, I also had a JVC D-ILA 52" TV then as well. All of that has since been upgraded, but you'll be very impressed with the picture.

That's perfect, Matt...thank you! Any PS3 settings advice for my Dila?

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Bob_L

Bob_L

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted August 14 2008 - 03:52 AM

As Matt said, regular HDMI and optical audio cables will work fine; they do so in my system. Set your Display for HDMI Automatic and your Sound for Optical with Dolby and DTS definitely chosen (your choice whether to try out the additional LPCM settings).

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Dan Keliikoa

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted August 14 2008 - 03:54 AM

Good deal! Thanks a million!

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   chuckg

chuckg

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts

Posted August 14 2008 - 05:49 AM

I was a bit confused when I first set up my PS3. There is a note about setting video on HDMI and audio on optical in the instructions, but it wasn't obvious....one navigates the XMB (cross media bar) to the settings and there were a couple of choices, but I didn't see what I was looking for. The thing that got me was that they didn't mention that you have to click or select the settings menu item - in other words, the list of sub-menus does not show up automatically as it does on a PC. You must push a button to show the sub menu.

After that it was easy!
--ignore the man behind the curtain

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Dan Keliikoa

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted August 14 2008 - 05:58 AM

Thank you kindly, Chuck. I appreciate the 'insider's' tip! I think I've read before that the PS3 is not always the most intuitive beast to set up.

All tips appreciated to minimize any hair-pulling at setup :^)