Definitive New Editions of Three Timeless Thrillers
from the Master of Suspense Join the
Acclaimed Universal Legacy Series

PSYCHO – SPECIAL EDITION
VERTIGO – SPECIAL EDITION
REAR WINDOW – SPECIAL EDITION

Available on DVD with Never-Before-Seen Bonus Features on
October 7, 2008 from Universal Studios Home Entertainment
Universal City, Calif. – August xx, 2008 -- Three of Alfred Hitchcock’s most celebrated cinematic achievements are available as new two-disc Special Edition DVDs on October 7, 2008 from Universal Studios Home Entertainment: Psycho – Special Edition, Vertigo – Special Edition, and Rear Window – Special Edition. The latest additions to the prestigious “Universal Legacy Series,” a collection of some of the finest films from the Universal Studios vault, each title is loaded with revealing new bonus features that take viewers behind-the-scenes as well as documentaries, feature commentaries, audio interviews, archival materials and much more. Essential additions to every cinephile’s library and listed among the AFI’s Top 100 Films, these classics grow in timeless stature as time goes by.

Screen immortals James Stewart, Grace Kelly, Kim Novak, Anthony Perkins and Janet Leigh star in a trio of the legendary director’s best films. Each two-DVD set is priced at $26.98 SRP.

PSYCHO – SPECIAL EDITION

One of the most shocking and terrifying films of all time, Alfred Hitchcock’s Psycho, is the chilling story, based on an actual incident, of an unsuspecting victim (Janet Leigh) who visits the Bates Motel and falls prey to one of cinema’s most notorious psychopaths – Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins). Named as the #1 film on the AFI “100 Years…100 Thrills” list, this critically and popularly-regarded 1960 release redefined the horror film for a new generation and has become a cultural phenomenon. Featuring one of the most iconic scenes in film history - the famous “shower scene” – plus new bonus features and digitally remastered picture, Psycho is “still terrifying after all these years” (Leonard Maltin’s Classic Movie Guide).

BONUS FEATURES:

• *In the Master’s Shadow: Hitchcock’s Legacy: Some of Hollywood’s top
filmmakers discuss Hitchcock’s influence and why his movies continue to thrill audiences.
• *François Truffaut Interviews Alfred Hitchcock: Excerpts from a 1962 audio
interview.
• *Audio Commentary: Feature-length audio commentary with Hitchcock scholar Stephen Rebello (author of “Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho”)
• *Alfred Hitchcock Presents “Lamb to the Slaughter”: Full-length episode from Season 3 of Alfred Hitchcock’s TV series featuring Barbara Bel Geddes.
• The Making of Psycho: A feature-length documentary on Alfred Hitchcock’s
most shocking film ever.
• Newsreel Footage: The Release of Psycho: Vintage newsreel on the unique press policy Alfred Hitchcock insisted upon for the release of the film.
• The Shower Scene: See the impact of the music selected for the terrifying scene.
• The Shower Scene: Storyboards by Saul Bass: Original storyboard designs of the movie’s most chilling scene.
• The Psycho Archives: A gallery of on-set photo stills from the film’s production.
• Posters and Ads: Original posters and ads from the film’s theatrical campaign.
• Lobby Cards: Promotional lobby cards from the film’s theatrical campaign.
• Behind-The-Scenes Photographs: View rare photos of the cast and crew at work.
• Production Photographs: Publicity photos featuring the cast.
• Production Notes: An essay on the making of the film.
• Theatrical Trailer: The original promotional trailer from the film’s theatrical campaign.
• Re-Release Trailers: The promotional trailer created for the re-release of the film.
*Bonus feature is new to this edition.

CAST AND FILMMAKERS

Directed By: Alfred Hitchcock
Written By: Joseph Stephano (Screenplay), Robert Bloch (Novel)
Produced By: Alfred Hitchcock
Director of Photography: John L. Russell
Edited By: George Tomasini
Costume Designer: Rita Riggs
Original Music By: Bernard Herrmann
Cast: Anthony Perkins, Janet Leigh, Vera Miles, John Gavin, Martin Balsam

TECHNICAL INFORMATION

DVD
Street Date: October 7, 2008
Pre-Order Close: September 2, 2008
Copyright: 2008 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved.
Price: $26.98
Selection Number: 61100450
Running Time: 1 Hours, 49 minutes
Layers: Dual
Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen (1.85:1)
Rating: R
Technical Info: English and French Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono; English SDH; French and Spanish Subtitles

VERTIGO – SPECIAL EDITION

One of Alfred Hitchcock’s greatest cinematic achievements, Vertigo, celebrates its 50th anniversary this year. Set in San Francisco, the film creates a dizzying web of mistaken identity, passion and murder after an acrophobic detective (James Stewart) rescues a mysterious blonde (Kim Novak) from the bay. Recognized for its excellence as one of AFI’s listed “100 Years...100 Movies,” this dreamlike thriller from the Master of
Suspense about erotic obsession still delivers a stunning ending that still grips and confounds audiences. Featuring revealing bonus features and a digitally remastered picture, Vertigo is a “great motion picture that demands multiple viewings” (Leonard Maltin’s Classic Movie Guide).

BONUS FEATURES

• *Partners In Crime: Hitchcock's Collaborators: A revealing look at Alfred
Hitchcock's closest collaborators including costume designer Edith Head, composer Bernard Herrmann, title creator Saul Bass and Hitchcock's wife, Alma.
• *François Truffaut Interviews Alfred Hitchcock: Excerpts from a 1962 audio
interview.
• *Alfred Hitchcock Presents “The Case of Mr. Pelham ": A full-length episode from Season 1 of Alfred Hitchcock’s TV series.
• Audio Commentary: Feature-length audio commentary with associate producer Herbert Coleman, noted film restorers Robert A. Harris and James C. Katz and cast members.
• *Audio Commentary: Feature-length audio commentary with film director
William Friedkin
• Foreign Censorship Ending: See a version of the film's ending that was created for international releases.
• The Vertigo Archives: Gallery of on-set photo stills from the film’s production.
• Production Notes: An essay on the making of the film.
• Original Theatrical Trailer: The original promotional trailer from the film’s
theatrical campaign.
• Restoration Theatrical Trailer: The promotional trailer created for the 1996 rerelease of the meticulously restored film
• Obsessed With Vertigo: New Life for Hitchcock's Masterpiece: An in-depth
documentary on the restoration of Alfred Hitchcock’s most hypnotic thriller.
*Bonus Feature is new to this edition.

CAST AND FILMMAKERS

Written By: Alec Coppel, Samuel Taylor (Screenplay); Pierre Boileau, Thomas Narcejac (Novel)
Produced By: Alfred Hitchcock, James C. Katz
Director of Photography: Robert Burks
Costume Designer: Edith Head
Original Music By: Bernard Herrmann
Cast: James Stewart, Kim Novak, Barbara Bel Geddes, Tom Helmore

TECHNICAL INFORMATION

Price: $26.98 SRP
Selection Number: 61102355
Running Time: 2 Hours, 10 minutes
Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen (1.85:1)
Rating: PG
Technical Info: Dolby Digital 5.1; Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono; English SDH; French and Spanish Subtitles

REAR WINDOW – SPECIAL EDITION

In this suspenseful story in which the Master of Suspense reveals both the fascination and the consequences of voyeurism, a professional photographer (James Stewart) suspects his neighbor of murdering his nagging wife based on conjecture while observing through his window across the courtyard. He enlists his socialite girlfriend (Grace Kelly) to help investigate the suspicious chain of events. Honored in one of AFI's “100 Years ... 100 Movies” for excellence in film, Rear Window has also been hailed as “one of Alfred
Hitchcock’s most stylish thrillers” (Leonard Maltin’s Classic Movie Guide). With indepth bonus features and a digitally remastered picture, this cinematic masterpiece succeeds in drawing the audience in as accomplice at first, then as prey to the proceedings as the hunter becomes the hunted.

BONUS FEATURES:

• *Audio Commentary: Feature-length audio commentary with John Fawell (author of Hitchcock’s Rear Window: The Well-Made Film)
• *Pure Cinema: Through the Eyes of the Master: A look at Alfred Hitchcock’s greatest sequences and the virtuoso filmmaking techniques behind them.
• *Breaking Barriers: The Sound of Hitchcock: An examination of Alfred
Hitchcock’s innovative use of sound throughout his films.
• * François Truffaut Interviews Alfred Hitchcock: Excerpts from a 1962 audio interview with Alfred Hitchcock.
• *Alfred Hitchcock Presents “Mr. Blanchard’s Secret: A full-length episode
from Season 2 of Alfred Hitchcock’s landmark TV series.
• Rear Window Ethics: An Original Documentary: An in-depth documentary on Alfred Hitchcock’s voyeuristic masterpiece.
• A Conversation with the Screenwriter John Michael Hayes: Rear Window’s
screenwriter reflects on the making of the film.
• Production Photographs: View publicity photos featuring the cast.
• Production Notes: Read an essay on the making of the film.
• Theatrical Trailer: Watch the original promotional trailer from the film’s theatrical campaign.
• Re-Release Trailer: Watch the promotional trailer created for the re-release of the film narrated by James Stewart.
*Bonus feature is new to this edition.

CAST AND FILMMAKERS

Written By: John Michael Hayes (Screenplay), Cornell Woolrich (Short Story)
Produced By: James C. Katz
Director of Photography: Robert Burks
Costume Designer: Edith Head
Original Music By: Franz Waxman
Cast: James Stewart, Grace Kelly, Wendell Corey, Raymond Burr, Thelma Ritter

TECHNICAL INFORMATION

DVD
Price: $26.98
Selection Number: 61102353
Running Time: 1 Hour, 55 Minutes
Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen (1.66:1)
Rating: PG
Technical Info: English and French Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono; English SDH; French and Spanish Subtitles

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 38 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 23,144 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 13 2008 - 09:35 PM

I hope the day comes real soon that Universal realizes that titles like these Hitchcock films are the type of movies that will expand the demographics of Blu-ray and therefore, increase sales for players and software. Personally, I'm not going to buy these titles in hope that Universal comes to their business senses in the next couple of years.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#3 of 38 Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,073 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted August 13 2008 - 11:05 PM

I wasn't going to buy RW or VERTIGO but looking at the new extras I might have to. I'm certainly not going to buy PSYCHO since that new footage showed up so I'll wait until they (eventually) release it with those new scenes.

#4 of 38 george kaplan

george kaplan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 13,064 posts

Posted August 13 2008 - 11:58 PM

I'm with you Robert. I'll wait for Blu-ray before I upgrade these films again (I've already done so countless times - vhs to laser disc to dvd to better dvd, etc.)
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#5 of 38 Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted August 14 2008 - 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kaplan
I'll wait for Blu-ray before I upgrade these films again (I've already done so countless times - vhs to laser disc to dvd to better dvd, etc.)

Same here. The time for upgrades in SD is gone as far as I'm concerned.

Any one of these would be a great introduction to HD for the Master.

#6 of 38 TravisR

TravisR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 20,741 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 14 2008 - 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleddyn Williams
The time for upgrades in SD is gone as far as I'm concerned.
For popular titles like these, definitely.

#7 of 38 Van594

Van594

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted August 14 2008 - 02:14 AM

I thought they had The Birds all ready to go for this as well. Are they maybe waiting for the remake to release it?

#8 of 38 Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted August 14 2008 - 03:36 AM

I wonder if "Vertigo" is sourced from the same HD master that's been playing on HDNet recently -- with the title sequence colored incorrectly, unfortunately.

#9 of 38 haroldS

haroldS

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted August 14 2008 - 04:18 AM

Looking at the commentary tract on the films, how do they differ from the MGM/Fox Premiere Collection? At least there isn't triple dipping on the MGM set.

#10 of 38 Carter of Mars

Carter of Mars

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted August 14 2008 - 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott
I'm certainly not going to buy PSYCHO since that new footage showed up so I'll wait until they (eventually) release it with those new scenes.
What new footage?

#11 of 38 Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,073 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted August 14 2008 - 06:33 AM

Check the last few pages of the Hitchcock Premiere Collection here.

#12 of 38 seanOhara

seanOhara

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted August 14 2008 - 06:55 AM

For those who don't want to double dip but would like to hear the Truffaut interviews, Tom Sutpen has them as MP3s on his blog. They're a neat contrast to the book because you can tell that Hitch was bemused by some of the questions, but Truffaut never notices because of the language barrier.
My Blog
Les Miserables Volume 1 with my reading of "Four and Four"
Librivox Short Story Collection 34 with my reading of Jack London's "War"

#13 of 38 jack phillips

jack phillips

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted August 14 2008 - 11:40 AM

You can also stream two of the three AHP bonus episodes at hulu.com.

#14 of 38 Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted August 14 2008 - 11:51 AM

I'd love to say I'll hold off for the inevitable Blu-ray editions.... but Christ, Vertigo is my favorite film of all time. How can I refuse????

#15 of 38 BillyFeldman

BillyFeldman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted August 14 2008 - 01:19 PM

But these are the same transfers as the Masterpiece Collection? So, we're only supposed to buy these for some new extras? Is that what this is about? Or, can someone actually inform us if these are new transfers, which, IMO, would be the only reason to purchase them.

#16 of 38 TravisR

TravisR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 20,741 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 14 2008 - 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyFeldman
But these are the same transfers as the Masterpiece Collection?
I certainly have no inside knowledge but I would guess that they are the same. If only because it seems unlikely that Universal would do another transfer so soon after doing the new anamorphic ones a few years ago.

And I think there's zero chance that they'll have the 'new' footage in Psycho.

#17 of 38 jack phillips

jack phillips

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted August 14 2008 - 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
I certainly have no inside knowledge but I would guess that they are the same. If only because it seems unlikely that Universal would do another transfer so soon after doing the new anamorphic ones a few years ago.
They might if they were preparing Blu-ray releases of these titles.

#18 of 38 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Advanced Member

• 9,931 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 14 2008 - 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Beam
I'd love to say I'll hold off for the inevitable Blu-ray editions.... but Christ, Vertigo is my favorite film of all time. How can I refuse????

My problem is that I want to hold out for BD, but I only have the first nonanamorphic issue of VERTIGO which is just NOT the way to see the movie at home.

#19 of 38 ReggieW

ReggieW

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted August 15 2008 - 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
I hope the day comes real soon that Universal realizes that titles like these Hitchcock films are the type of movies that will expand the demographics of Blu-ray and therefore, increase sales for players and software. Personally, I'm not going to buy these titles in hope that Universal comes to their business senses in the next couple of years.

Crawdaddy

I couldn't agree more.

This is the 50th anniversary of Vertigo. How Universal reasons that such an important film is unworthy of the best presentation available on home video is mind-boggling. Uni can continue to milk these Legacy titles in SD to no end, but I'll be taking a pass until they get their act together and release these films on Blu-ray. Why can't more studios adopt the Warner philosophy?

Just incredible.
More Harlow on DVD Now! - Red Dust, Bombshell, Hold Your Man, Saratoga, The Iron Man, Goldie, The Secret Six, Beast of the City, Three Wise Girls, Reckless, Personal Property, Riff-raff, Suzy & Girl from Missouri

#20 of 38 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,632 posts

Posted August 15 2008 - 09:40 AM

Wow William Friedkin talking about Vertigo.

Sold
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

Back to DVD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow