What's new

Little House on the Prairie: The Complete Series (1 Viewer)

njoberheim

Agent
Real Name
Rich
For those of you that havent heard, on Nov 4 a complete series box set of Little House on the Prairie will be released:

Little House on the Prairie DVD news: Announcement for Little House on the Prairie - The Complete Series | TVShowsOnDVD.com

As a kid I used to love this show. It made my whole family cry every week!

Anyway, I had held back from purchasing the season sets because I had heard a lot of complaints about the picture quality. From his article I'm not sure if the discs in this set are the exact same ones or if they have been restored in any way for this release. Anybody know?

Thanks!

Larry.P

Stunt Coordinator
Was wondering the same thing. I have all the Little House DVD sets that are currently available. They are filled with time-compressed and edited episodes. In most of the episodes the editing is really poor. There are jarring cuts where the scenes just stop dead. In some episodes Charles sounds like he's on helium. The picture quality on many of the episodes leaves a lot to be desired as well. I'm assuming these will be the same tired transfers, but one can only hope.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Well, that press release states "5.1 dolby digital audio" which would indicate a new mastering, but I wouldn't count on it. New release information is often inaccurate. I bought the first two seasons the day they were released and was appalled at the PQ even though the packaging stated "restored using state-of-the-art color correction and picture enhancement." As far as I could tell the "restoration" was done to the existing video masters, not the original film elements. Nevertheless I'll wait for verification from a trusted source before I buy this time around.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'm up to about Season 5. I recently started re-watching at Season 1 again instead of spending the money on the rest. At least I can maybe get the remaining seasons on the cheap. However, better transfers (that this show friggin deserves) would be the only reason I'd buy this new Series set.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I own all the seasons on dvd, and aside from season 6, the PQ is usually rather nice. Not great, but it does look better than the episodes I catch on the Hallmark channel.

Season 6 is....um iffy. Some eps are ok, others not so much. Don't know what happened there.

I'll wait for a review on the complete series. If it sounds good, I'm in.

RichieMagoo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richie
I have the whole series, too- and I have no complaints with the picture quality (But I don't watch on anythiong fancy- just a plain old 25" set...which is what these shows were designed to be watched on when they aired...)- but my complaint is the sound quality!

I remember even as a kid, watching these shows when they first aired, the sound quality was horrible. Half the time you can't understand what Ma and Pa are saying- they're either whispering, or Charles or mumbling or talking faster than somebody from Hoboken!

These shows don't just need to be remasterd or restored, they need to be improved over original, as far as sound quality goes. I love this show...but spending so much time straining to hear what they are saying, really ruins my enjoyment. I have even contemplated selling my set, because of this.

Concerning the new whole-series release: Have you guys seen the pic of the packaging on TVshowsondvd.com? For me, it's a real turn-off. I'm getting tired of all these little cutesy bozes- I mean, lets face it, most of us have at least a fair ammount of DVDs, and can't put all of the cutesy ones out on display, but rather want to put them neatly on a shelf.

But...I shouldn't complain- at least this is one of those rare shows where we were lucky enough to have had them release the entire series.....

(((Hello Goldie! Good girl!!!!!)))

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm complaining...once again I faithfully buy all the sets, and once again am left in the cold without the incredible extras.

I'm becoming a jaded DVD buyer. Someone save me!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I wonder if they'll at least add the titles back to seasons 1 and 2. They got complaints and corrected it for the following seasons.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The quality or re-watchability of special features isn't the issue. It's the principle. Devoted fans who make continued releases possible by buying each season set as they release out are screwed when the goodies come around.

It's that simple.

RichieMagoo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richie

I know- they should at least make the new goodies available to the loyal customers who bought the earlier discs, in the form of a seperate disc that they could sell seperately- and what the heck- at that point, it's just a matter of having to make a few more copies of the new extras discs- .25 cents worth of plastic that they could sell for $10-$20- it's foolish not to, because I'm sure the majority of people who own the older sets aren't going to buy the new just for the extras...so it wouldn't be like they are losing sales on the new sets if they make seperate "extras" discs.

They should also offer indicidual discs from sets, seperately. Like say somebody ruins or loses a disc from a season set....it's ridiculous that they'd have to replace the whole season.

Ah...if I ran a DVD studio.....I'd have a bunch of loyal customers, because I'd operate in such a manner so as to accomodate my customers needs- which is the fist principle of any business. (I'm not one of those who says "The customer is always right"....but i do believe in treating people like I'd want to be treated- and giving them a fair shake...and it works wonderfully in small business...and it would work in big business, too)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks