What's new

Petticoat Junction- "Official" 1st Season (1 Viewer)

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
I just read on TVShowsonDVD.com that Paramount has this as a prelisting on Amazon, with a retail price of 40,99 and a pre-order price of 28.99 on Amazon. To be released in December-

Now why would Paramount recognize MPI's venture into Beverly Hillbillies and not duplicate Season 1, but not recognize PJ Season 1 from MPI?

Now I am faced with a dillema- Do I show my support for this release to get the remaining seasons, or do I wait and hope for a season 2 official release? What do all of you think?

Jack

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
If I'm not mistaken, the MPI "Petticoat Junction" set did NOT contain all the 1st Season episodes. So it only makes sense that CBS/Paramount would go back and offer the entire 1st Season. The reason they jumped to the 2nd Season with the "Hillbillies" is because MPI had put out two dvd sets, and had actually covered the entire 1st Season. So there was truly no need for CBS/Paramount to offer another "official" Season One, but with "Junction" there is that need.

Gary "I bought all the MPI sets for both shows and will buy all the Paramount sets as well - I'd like to see these two series keep going" O.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
This is great!

But, Where's "The Lucy Show" and the rest of "Have Gun,Will Travel"?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

Okay- It's been a while since I looked at the set, and forgot that it is not a complete season that MPI gave us. So count me in- I'll buy the new set and keep my old set for the extras, as I am also doing with the Hillbillies.

I love this show, and look forward to seeing the complete run. Nothing like good old homespun fun from Hooterville (LOL! What a ridiculous name, thanks to the Hooters bar!)

Jack

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Amen to that! I'd love to see the two B/W seasons complete. But for me, the show really got moving when Meredith MacRae joined as Billie Jo (and Mike Minor joined as Steve)- and that was in Season 4!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
We can also count on much better picture quality with these Paramount sets. Not that I personally had that much of an issue with the MPI releases, but there's no doubt these will be an upgrade in picture and sound.

Gary "now if only we could get 'THE LUCY SHOW' released by Paramount, I think I'd have the sitcoms portion of my wish list fulfilled as far as their company goes" O.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just wish Paramount could some way, somehow, get the rights to release the remaining Green Acres seasons, so we could one day have the complete Hooterville saga on DVD.

I just hope the MPI set doesn't dilute sales for Paramount's Petticoat Junction so much that we never see season 2.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Gary,

Thanks for mentioning that point here. PJ is one show that I'd decided to pass on for now or put it on the back burner list but if the transfers are up to the usual CBS/P quality I might jump on it at a sale.

As for MPI, I have mixed feelings about their sets although I only have 2 sets to compare. I have all of the Rifleman sets and the "War & Rememberance" sequel miniseries from the "Winds of War" saga. Both sets (video/audio) aren't great IMO, but easily watchable. The Rifleman set is the one that I have problems hearing some of the dialog/audio.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
WooHoo!!! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

I have no problems double-dipping to get the full first season. PJ is one of my favorite classic shows. I just hope additional season sets follow.

And I concur with the wish that someone would also continue with Green Acres. It's a crime that the funniest sitcom ever is stalled at Season 3. :frowning:

I actually wish that they'd just put out a full series box set on these shows. Then the fans can be assured of getting all the episodes.

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator
CAN'T WAIT!!! Hope they will release the second season soon as well...I'd love to have "The Curse of Chester W. Farnsworth" episode on DVD. Of course I would by Bea Benaderet reading a phone book!!!

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I wonder if Mark Heyes is redoing the scores? I can hear it now - lots of fake accordion music playing non-descript melodies...

Harry
...still cynical about anything Paramount, online...

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Trust me, Harry. You are not alone in your cynicism when it comes to CBS/Paramount at this point. It's so hard to imagine that just 3 months ago had anyone asked me who was "king of the hill" when it came to vintage TV on DVD I wouldn't have hesitated to say CBS/Paramount. It wasn't even close. I was so happy about that company I would have gone on a PR tour for them. But no more. After what they did to "THE FUGITIVE" I no longer have faith in them to do the right thing every time. They also have lost a customer who was pre-ordering every pre-80's series they put out. I even bought a few I probably wouldn't have just to support the company because I was so happy with them. No more. With the possible exception of RAWHIDE, I will not be pre-ordering any new releases from them. I don't even have "MY THREE SONS" pre-ordered at this point. And it's not all because of the Fuge fiasco either. It's also the fact that I feel they are gigging me with the split season sets and the high prices. I will no longer pay those prices. I'm waiting for sales. And none of that even takes into consideration what you mentioned: the fact that I'll need to wait on multiple reviews from this point on to make sure we don't get any more music subs like "THE FUGITIVE." I know you were just joking, but much truth is spoken in jest.

Gary "at this point I'm really feeling rather 'blah' about the entire vintage TVonDVD phenomena" O.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Yeah, sorry to rain on the parade here, but the bitterness is still fresh.

I recall enjoying PETTICAOT JUNCTION and the other "bucolic" series that CBS ran all those years ago, following it through the cast changes and the intro to the "next-door neighbors" on GREEN ACRES and all of that. It was fun times.

Hopefully, for the devout fans, it will be treated with respect and done well. I hate to hear about any series not being treated properly in the DVD world because I know how it feels.

Harry

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Gary, in case you were not aware, DeepDiscount has a massive sale on CBS Paramount titles going on right now (but ending on Aug. 18). I picked up seasons 3&4 of "Hawaii Five-0" for just under $25 for each season shipped. No "Rawhide" titles on sale, though. Link:

DVD - Paramount TV Sale

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gary & Harry,

I agree 100% on you guy's take on the CBS/P releases. Until the Fugitive fiasco, I was also getting most of their releaes on release week. Now, as Gary said, I'm another one here that has to wait for online reviews before purchasing their sets with Rawhide being the lone exception. I may even wait for Mannix S2 and that's something I thought I'd never do. There's a plus side for that release though, since S1 was a complete season release with no infamous S/S set. There's no question that the Fugitive thing has had an impact with customers, at least here in the online community. But, as we know, we only make up a small # of sales for these companies. I wish it were otherwise. Maybe the online sales #'s are on the increase lately since the gas prices have risen.

Bob, thanks for the DD link. I'll check out that CBS/P sale.

- Jeff "rain in forecast for Dallas this weekend....DVD time" W.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Thanks Bob. Unfortunately, all the CBS/Paramount dvds on sale are ones that I bought at release date or during the last 20% Off Sale and before the FUGE fiasco. But that's the kind of sale I'll be looking for from this point on with almost all my purchases. And it is a great sale, Bob. One could pick up the entire 2nd Season of RAWHIDE (Vol. 1 & 2 are bundled together) for only $38.99 right now. That's an incredible price compared to what it costs when you pick up the split-seasons individually on the release date.

Gary "thanks for the link, Bob" O.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I read that the MPI releases were from 16 MM prints. I assume the CBS Paramount release will be from 35 MM elements. The picture quality should be improved though I had no problem with the MPI picture quality.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Do we know how many episodes will be on the set? The MPI release had 20.

I would assume there were at least 30 in the first season, maybe more?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

There were 38 episodes in that first season, so this set will offer quite a bit more than the MPI one.

Gary "and the transfers should look much nicer as well" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks