-Not Logged In-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

*** Official TROPIC THUNDER Review Thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 8,077 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted August 13 2008 - 08:11 AM

Fricking hysterical. There are a million things I'd like to talk about, but most of them would be spoiler material based on the commercials. If you can skip reviews and see this, I recommend it. There are a lot of little treats in store for you.

It's a very well structured, very well shot (cinematography by John Toll!) comedy. Stiller balances the cast very effectively, and they all contribute to the humor in their own way. The most nuanced humor is Downey, Jr, but I think that almost goes without saying. Black is surprisingly funny as well. The best DIALOGUE is Danny McBride's. I'll be quoting him forever. I'd love to do more shout-outs, but I'll wait for a Discussion Thread.

Top shelf comedy, well worth your time. If you can stomach some language Posted Image And a little gore.

Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#2 of 14 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 27,404 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 13 2008 - 08:20 AM

This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Tropic Thunder". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Brett_M

• 1,396 posts
  • LocationMos Eisley Spaceport

Posted August 14 2008 - 09:25 AM

The first Ben Stiller movie I didn't hate. Very funny with some great surprises. ****/*****
Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,345 posts

Posted August 15 2008 - 06:50 PM

I am not too high on the film. For some reason, even though it's a send-up on the Hollywood process (both in behind-the-scenes production, and handling of actor's egos and insecurities), I never really bought into its tone, so it never settled into an enjoyable viewing groove for me. Sure, we get to see stars curse like sailors, spitting out lines far too polished for the situations at hand, but it's too over the top for its own good. Robert Downey Jr. is the highpoint of the film, but I wasn't enamored by his performance, even if it was many-faceted, it just felt wasted in this particular film. I think I'm over-loaded on Danny McBride, who I really don't find all that funny, but somehow he's been able to convince many that he's worth putting on the silver screen. There are a couple of non-advertised roles (marketing-wise) that get a bit more screen time than I had expected. The Simple Jack stuff by Ben Stiller was cringe-inducing. Jack Black goes very far for some shallow comedic bits (much of it was eye-rolling for me). The rest of the cast play it almost too straight (Jay Baruchel) or not funny enough (Brandon Jackson). I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Jason Sweet

Jason Sweet

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted August 16 2008 - 03:09 PM

I was pretty disappointed as well. Zoolander is my favorite comedy of all time, and war movies are my favorite genre so I figured this would be a slam dunk. It started off promising, but once they were left in the jungle, it fell off for me. There were some good jokes, but there was way too much time between the good ones, not the rapid fire pace I expected. Robert Downey was awesome, and the fake trailers were great, but nowhere near as good as I had hoped for overall.

#6 of 14 ONLINE   TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 24,431 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 16 2008 - 03:24 PM

I'm not a big fan of Ben Stiller but I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. I thought Robert Downey, Jr. stole the movie and was the best thing in it. Jack Black (who somehow made heroin addiction funny) had some real good moments too. I didn't even know that Jay Baruchel was in the movie so it was a nice surprise to see him in a fairly large role.

And you could see that Tom Cruise was having fun playing the studio exec. I'm sure his portrayal is based on real people and very accurate. Posted Image

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted August 17 2008 - 04:00 AM

Funniest Movie of the Summer. But the only other comedy I saw was Pineapple Express. Grade: B

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Tino

Lead Actor

• 6,636 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted August 17 2008 - 06:39 AM

Hilarious from beginning to end.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Go Dawgs!

• 2,110 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted August 25 2008 - 01:54 AM

I laughed so hard I had tears rolling down my face. Funniest movie I have seen in a long time. 4/4 stars

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor

• 901 posts

Posted August 25 2008 - 06:47 AM

One of the funniest films I have ever seen. And probably the most offensive movie since South Park: BLU. Genius. WHERE IS YOUR FARM?!!!
My blog: Andrew Hamm: (Title Changes Regularly)

The 2008-2009 Richmond Shakespeare Theatre

Hamlet October 17 - November 9A Christmas Carol for Two Actors December 11 - 21Amadeus February 12 - March 8Cymbeline April 16 - May 10

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Shad R

Shad R

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted August 28 2008 - 06:06 PM

I loved it. Ben Stiller is firing on all cylinders...writing, acting and directing this one. He hits the comedic mark almost every time in this one. Great cast, great jokes, great satire. Although I liked Robert Downy Jr, Jack Black and the "hollywood producer" I thought Ben Stiller had the funniest bits. Like being attacked in the jungle. Or the portrayal of a character he hoped would bag him an Oscar. Overall I loved it. I really did.

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

• 5,913 posts

Posted September 01 2008 - 05:42 PM

I saw this film a few days ago. I have mixed feelings about this one. There were plenty of funny sequences, but sometimes I felt like they were trying too hard. Some of the humour just felt forced to me. I also found the "Simple Jack" thread in this film tiresome. It starts out funny, but how many times can you hear the word "retard" before it gets old? Answer: not much. They were lucky that Robert Downey Jr. was as good as he was in this film, otherwise the film wouldn't have been nearly as good as it was. Surprisingly, the other actor that impressed me in this film was the kid playing the narco boss. He could have easily looked completely cartoonish and out of place, but he actually succeeds at creating a reasonable facsimile of a tiny terror. There was some fun spotting references to the various films that influenced TROPIC THUNDER. All in all, a decent comedy but not nearly as funny as some of the reviews here led me to believe. I'd give this one a B-.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   SilverWook

• 1,989 posts

Posted September 01 2008 - 07:07 PM

I may never be able to watch Apocalypse Now again without laughing. Posted Image

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   WillG

• 5,275 posts

Posted September 07 2008 - 11:24 AM

Saw it yesterday. Not bad, but I'm not sure I thought it was all that great either. I actually surprised it has done so well seeing as how a lot of the humor is pretty "inside". In retrospect, I could have easilly have waited for DVD on this one. I can't believe no one here has yet mentioned
Assuming I'm interpreting this correctly, I thought it was kind of clever how his reveal was handled. The way he was in shadow at first made the back of my mind think "Ok, come on out Will Ferrell" but it turned out to be just some unknown kid. Was Stiller toying with the audience here?
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users