Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Universal spinning Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted August 13 2008 - 06:35 AM

Universal spinning 'Wheel of Time' - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

Quote:
Universal Pictures has acquired film rights to the late Robert Jordan's bestselling "The Wheel of Time" novel series in a seven-figure deal. Adaptations of the fantasy tomes will begin with the first book in the cycle, "The Eye of the World."

Rick Selvage and Larry Mondragon will produce for Red Eagle Entertainment, which published graphic novel adaptations of Jordan's books.
"The Wheel of Time" follows, among its dozens of characters, Rand al’Thor, the latest incarnation of a force for good called "The Dragon." Rand is born to fight an evil character called Shai’tan.

"Wheel of Time" books have sold 44 million copies worldwide and spawned computer, trading-card and role-playing games; a soundtrack; comicbooks; and numerous fan sites. The four most recent installments have reached No. 1 on the New York Times bestseller list.

The property has been optioned before, notably in 2000, when NBC held the rights to make a miniseries based on "The Eye of the World."
Jordan died last year at 58, but the final book in the series is still set for publication in fall 2009, with fellow fantasy scribe Brandon Sanderson writing the novel’s conclusion from Jordan’s notes and tapes.

Interesting indeed.

Are we going to see all the books eventually filmed ?
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#2 of 6 Jason Roer

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor

• 977 posts

Posted August 13 2008 - 07:21 AM

I was wondering when Wheel of Time would finally get made into a film. We'll see if it gets to production this time around. Here's hoping.

As far as whether or not they will make all the books into films? It will depend entirely on if Eye of the World is profitable for the studio. If so, you better believe they will commit to a second film. If not, they'll dump the franchise.

Cheers,

Jason

#3 of 6 David Brown Eyes

David Brown Eyes

Second Unit

• 262 posts

Posted August 13 2008 - 09:35 AM

Wow I have no idea how this will work because IMHO the story collapsed under its own weight over the past 5 books.

Movies set in the time period and with the primary story line could be fun though.

#4 of 6 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted August 13 2008 - 09:45 AM

This has development hell written all over it. I'll wait for this to come out the same time Ender's Game and Altered Carbon, both of which have been optioned come out.

And, I'll bet something like Blood Sucking Fiends has a better shot at adaptation.

I love the books, but adapting them in any way that will make a lot of sense in a shortened movie format is going to be very difficult.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#5 of 6 Werner_R

Werner_R

Stunt Coordinator

• 161 posts

Posted August 17 2008 - 06:17 AM

Wheel of Time would work better in a series format like "Rome", the story is so vast and rich that a movie wouldn't do it justice.
I don't see this coming very soon though, the last book still has to be released (next year probably).

#6 of 6 Bonnie*F

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted August 18 2008 - 05:43 AM

I going to agree with Werner R - the best way to do this would be as a mini-series. The first book may go into a movie format but as the books go on, the characters go different directions and Jordan was generous to let his readers know what was going on with all of them. Unfortunately, it was with one chapter about what Mat is doing, and one for Perrin and one for Rand and one for Elayne and one for this character and another for Rand and then.... It got very confusing - at least for me. Posted Image
If they do the movie format further on, I think too much of the story would be cut in order to follow one storyline - likely Rand - and the complexity of the books would be completely lost. That and the story would have very little in common with the books save the names of the characters and the most basic of outlines. Jordan created a complex and very believable world and although some people might investigate the books after seeing the movie, I personally think that most people would think that it was just another movie cashing in on the interest and popularity of magic/fantasy movies.
But we can only wait and see what happens. Although it would be nice for this series to be filmed.