Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Replacement Bulb for Sony SXRD TV

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted August 13 2008 - 04:55 AM

I have a Sony SXRD rear projection TV, model #KDS-55A2000. I am getting a flashing red light when I turn on my TV. The manual indicates this means the lamp needs to be replaced. Can anyone recommend a reliable and reasonably priced source for a replacement lamp? A local dealer has quoted a price of $250.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted August 13 2008 - 06:19 AM

Here's one found through Crutchfield:
Sony XL-5200 Replacement Television Lamp, DNGO F93088600RL at Crutchfield Partsearch
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted August 15 2008 - 04:05 AM

With the Olympics on TV I chose to purchase a new lamp locally. I hadn't realized how dim the picture was getting until I replaced the lamp. The video is 100% better than it was before. It still sucks that I have to replace the lamp in less than 2 years, though.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted August 15 2008 - 04:59 AM

Well, when you need another lamp in a couple of years, I would suggest you buy one from Discount Merchant. They're selling your replacement lamp for $179.99. I bought a replacement for my JVC H-DILA set several months ago at a similar discount, just to make sure I had one on hand when I needed it, and installed it last weekend.

You're right. Because the lamp dims slowly you don't really notice the difference in the picture - until you plug the new lamp in! Posted Image

As for the cost...

I bought my TV in mid-December 2005, so the original lamp lasted almost exactly two and three-quarter years. The newer lamps are supposed to last even longer the original. And changing the lamp has basically restored my TV to the condition it was in the day it was delivered. A plasma TV would just continue getting dimmer and dimmer, but get what is practically a new TV after almost 3 years for less than 10% of the purchase price. If I have to spend another $150 or so in 3 or 4 years to extend the set's life even further I'll consider that a bargain.

Regards,

Joe

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted August 15 2008 - 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino
Well, when you need another lamp in a couple of years, I would suggest you buy one from Discount Merchant. They're selling your replacement lamp for $179.99. I bought a replacement for my JVC H-DILA set several months ago at a similar discount, just to make sure I had one on hand when I needed it, and installed it last weekend.

You're right. Because the lamp dims slowly you don't really notice the difference in the picture - until you plug the new lamp in! Posted Image

As for the cost...

I bought my TV in mid-December 2005, so the original lamp lasted almost exactly two and three-quarter years. The newer lamps are supposed to last even longer the original. And changing the lamp has basically restored my TV to the condition it was in the day it was delivered. A plasma TV would just continue getting dimmer and dimmer, but get what is practically a new TV after almost 3 years for less than 10% of the purchase price. If I have to spend another $150 or so in 3 or 4 years to extend the set's life even further I'll consider that a bargain.

Regards,

Joe

Thanks for the link. This is what I was looking for a couple of days ago. Now that I have an idea of how long my lamp will last I will look into purchasing one about a year and a half from now. I was a bit bummed out that I had to pay $250 for the new lamp but your posting does keep it in perspective.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,274 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted August 15 2008 - 06:16 AM

DLP Lamp Express also has the same lamp for $139.00, or $159.00 pre-installed in an OEM rebuilt housing, plus free shipping.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted August 15 2008 - 10:42 AM

Todd's link is a good reminder of the value of comparison shopping - and the fact that one size almost never fits all. Posted Image While DLP Lamp Express has a better price for Marty's Sony lamp, they are about $20 higher than Discount Merchant on my JVC bulb.

Regards,

Joe