-

Jump to content



Photo

BOETTICHER/SCOTT SET


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
70 replies to this topic

#1 of 71 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

    Screenwriter

  • 1,526 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 07 2004

Posted August 13 2008 - 12:43 AM

Movies Unlimited is taking pre-orders for the release of the Boetticher/Scott boxset (THE TALL T, COMANCHE STATION, BUCHANAN RIDES ALONE, DECISION AT SUNDOWN, RIDE LONESOME). Release date: 11/4.
Charles Hoyt

#2 of 71 OFFLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

    Supporting Actor

  • 752 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 27 2000

Posted August 13 2008 - 03:00 AM

Finally, my holy grail!

Thanks for posting this information. Hopefully, Ron will post an 'official' SPHE release announcement later this week, or maybe next Monday (in line with recent practices).

#3 of 71 OFFLINE   JohnRa

JohnRa

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 122 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 15 2006
  • Real Name:John Needham
  • LocationTennessee

Posted August 13 2008 - 01:47 PM

Wow! Really looking forward to this set.

#4 of 71 OFFLINE   Jim Bur

Jim Bur

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 161 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 01 2006

Posted August 13 2008 - 03:02 PM

Great news. This has the potential of being the outstanding set of the year.

#5 of 71 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

    Screenwriter

  • 1,779 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 18 2004

Posted August 13 2008 - 10:10 PM

FINALLY !!!!1111!!!!!1111

#6 of 71 OFFLINE   Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston

    Supporting Actor

  • 848 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 03 2003

Posted August 14 2008 - 01:23 AM

Is Sony putting this out? Looking forward to new anamorphic transfers.
-J. Theakston

#7 of 71 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

    Producer

  • 4,796 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 02 2003

Posted August 14 2008 - 01:45 AM

This is definitely the year of the western on DVD!

I can't wait! this is a definite buy!!

#8 of 71 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

    Screenwriter

  • 1,779 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 18 2004

Posted August 14 2008 - 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Theakston
Is Sony putting this out? Looking forward to new anamorphic transfers.
Yes it is SPHE putting this out. Commanche Station has been restored to 4K digital, and has been projected as such at various festivals.

The quality should be as good as it can possibly be for DVD.

#9 of 71 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

    Executive Producer

  • 10,089 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 07 2000

Posted August 16 2008 - 01:29 AM

SRP $59.99 .

A bit pricier then their recent Hammer sets (which are an insane deal) but after discounts it'll come down to less than $10 per movie which is my SD DVD spending limit. Posted Image
Death before Streaming!


#10 of 71 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

    Screenwriter

  • 1,779 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 18 2004

Posted August 16 2008 - 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_K
SRP $59.99 .

A bit pricier then their recent Hammer sets (which are an insane deal) but after discounts it'll come down to less than $10 per movie which is my SD DVD spending limit. Posted Image

It sounds like they've put a lot of work into preserving these films, so I think a slightly higher price that usual is acceptable.

#11 of 71 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

    Screenwriter

  • 1,429 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 19 2008
  • Real Name:Alan
  • LocationLondon

Posted August 16 2008 - 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Howson
It sounds like they've put a lot of work into preserving these films, so I think a slightly higher price that usual is acceptable.

They put a lot of work into the Hammer set, the films look fantastic. The thing is, it's nice to get really cheap DVDs (& we've all got used to that), but if it all gets too cheap then it's not worth it to the studios to put in any work into the releases.

#12 of 71 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

    Screenwriter

  • 1,779 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 18 2004

Posted August 16 2008 - 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Batson
They put a lot of work into the Hammer set, the films look fantastic. The thing is, it's nice to get really cheap DVDs (& we've all got used to that), but if it all gets too cheap then it's not worth it to the studios to put in any work into the releases.
Yeah it's a catch 22 scenario.

Personally I wish they committed say 10% of the price to future preservation, and made you aware of that on the cover somewhere.

The crazy thing is when SPHE eventually release their classic DVDs in Australia they are often 50% less than the U.S. prices. They essentially give their expensive restorations away when they release them here.

#13 of 71 OFFLINE   Bob Graham

Bob Graham

    Supporting Actor

  • 506 posts
  • Join Date: May 11 2001

Posted August 17 2008 - 02:28 AM

Release date: 11/4
Winter Deep Discount 20% off sale: 11/?

At least we won't have to wait too long too long for the sale...

#14 of 71 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

    Screenwriter

  • 1,429 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 19 2008
  • Real Name:Alan
  • LocationLondon

Posted August 17 2008 - 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Howson
Yeah it's a catch 22 scenario.

Personally I wish they committed say 10% of the price to future preservation, and made you aware of that on the cover somewhere.

The crazy thing is when SPHE eventually release their classic DVDs in Australia they are often 50% less than the U.S. prices. They essentially give their expensive restorations away when they release them here.

It's different in England. Stuff comes out quite expensive, esp. Warner Sp.Ed. But you wait for 6-8 months & it always crashes down. The four disc "Gone With The Wind" set was released at £25, but I bought it about eight months later for £6! You just need patience, but there's not a lot of that around these days.

#15 of 71 OFFLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

    Supporting Actor

  • 752 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 27 2000

Posted August 18 2008 - 05:32 AM

Has the pre-order page at Movies Unlimited been taken down? Last week, I could find the pre-order page by searching for any of the individual titles, such as 'Ride Lonesome'. However, as of today the searches for those titles only produce a list of similar-sounding titles.

#16 of 71 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

    Screenwriter

  • 1,526 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 07 2004

Posted August 18 2008 - 06:02 AM

Go to "What's New on DVD" on Movies Unlimited and then look under the "Western" genre.
Charles Hoyt

#17 of 71 OFFLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

    Supporting Actor

  • 752 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 27 2000

Posted August 18 2008 - 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles H
Go to "What's New on DVD" on Movies Unlimited and then look under the "Western" genre.



***



Thanks for the tip; however - in using this approach, I no longer see a listing for the Boetticher/Scott set.

#18 of 71 OFFLINE   ted:r

ted:r

    Second Unit

  • 336 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 23 2005

Posted August 18 2008 - 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Howson
Personally I wish they committed say 10% of the price to future preservation, and made you aware of that on the cover somewhere.

I'm not quite sure I understand this. Yes, I understand the sentiment OK, but really, if they put a sticker on it saying 10% of the proceeds would go to buying Jaguars for themselves, it still wouldn't matter to me.

What I want is the DVD. What the Co.'s want is profit. I get what I want (without paying $100 per DVD of course) and I am happy.

And from a marketing perspective, I don't see how it would help. Would some person who doesn't read this forum (Posted Image) care where the proceeds were going? I sincerely doubt it.

For example: I purchase Criterion releases that cost more than most DVD's. I pay the premium because a) I want the movie first and foremost and; b) I realize they release movies that aren't going to sell in the millions, and they are a company and they want to make a profit. I don't think, picking an example out of a hat, "Rules Of The Game" would sell substantially more if it were out there for $9.99. I'm just ecstatic it is out there at all.

I don't think that Boetticher or Scott is a household name these days. I think that Sony has to maximize its profit based on the number of people who do know of Boetticher and Scott, those of us who care. I''m just deliriously happy that they are savvy enough (I hope) to want to do it.

Caveat: I'm in a position where I can afford DVDs (I bought the Ford on Fox, I will buy the Borzage/Murnau). If I were forced to be more discriminating in my choices due to affordability, I (or my wallet!) might hum a different tune.
"I was born when she kissed me. I died when she left me. I lived a few weeks while she loved me."

My 25 most wanted DVDs: Chilly Scenes Of Winter (1979); The Dead (1987); The African Queen (1951); Johnny Guitar (1954); The Sterile Cuckoo (1969); The Friends Of Eddie Coyle (1973); The Rain People (196...

#19 of 71 OFFLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

    Supporting Actor

  • 752 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 27 2000

Posted August 25 2008 - 08:40 AM

I was hoping Ron might post a press release this morning; however, as we continue to anticipate the official press release, at least the box set has been confirmed for November 4th in the daily post at The Digital Bits (12:45 PM).


--- Quote ---

First up, Sony has set Good Times: The Complete Series (17 discs), Newsradio: The Complete Series (12 discs), Sanford and Son: The Complete Series (17 discs) and The Berenstain Bears: Christmas Tree for release on 10/28, followed by This Christmas (DVD and Blu-ray), When Did You Last See Your Father, Moscow Zero, Termination Point, I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (20 discs), an Awakenings/The Fisher King/The Survivors 3-pack and a Budd Boetticher box set (5 discs - includes The Tall T., Decision at Sundown, Buchanan Rides Alone, Ride Lonesome and Comanche Station) all on 11/4.

#20 of 71 OFFLINE   Mark VH

Mark VH

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 164 posts
  • Join Date: May 02 2005

Posted August 25 2008 - 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B Ferris
I was hoping Ron might post a press release this morning; however, as we continue to anticipate the official press release, at least the box set has been confirmed for November 4th in the daily post at The Digital Bits (12:45 PM).


--- Quote ---

First up, Sony has set Good Times: The Complete Series (17 discs), Newsradio: The Complete Series (12 discs), Sanford and Son: The Complete Series (17 discs) and The Berenstain Bears: Christmas Tree for release on 10/28, followed by This Christmas (DVD and Blu-ray), When Did You Last See Your Father, Moscow Zero, Termination Point, I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (20 discs), an Awakenings/The Fisher King/The Survivors 3-pack and a Budd Boetticher box set (5 discs - includes The Tall T., Decision at Sundown, Buchanan Rides Alone, Ride Lonesome and Comanche Station) all on 11/4.


Clearly then you have not seen the Home Media Retailing story linked on the HTF front page:

Quote:

Film Foundation, Sony Partner to Release Classic Films on DVD
Author: THOMAS K. ARNOLD
tarnold@questex.com
Posted: August 25, 2008

Martin Scorsese’s The Film Foundation has partnered with Sony Pictures Home Entertainment to bring a variety of classic films to DVD. Films will be released under the “Collector’s Choice” banner and include restored and remastered transfers of previously unreleased titles from the Sony catalog. Hollywood talent will contribute commentaries and introductions in films that have inspired their own work.

The first release will be The Films of Budd Boetticher, a boxed set of five Westerns that will arrive in stores Nov. 4. The set includes The Tall T, Decision at Sundown, Buchanan Rides Alone, Ride Lonesome and Comanche Station, all released theatrically between 1957 and 1960, and will feature introductions and commentary from a trio of Oscar-winning directors inspired by Boetticher’s work: Scorsese, Clint Eastwood and Taylor Hackford.

“We have an incredible treasure trove of films in our catalog, and this partnership with The Film Foundation helps us to create a unique, collectible package for classic cinema fans so they, too, can own a piece of Hollywood’s film legacy,” said Lexine Wong, senior EVP of worldwide marketing for Sony.

Sony Pictures and The Film Foundation will continue their alliance with several upcoming DVD sets, including a Michael Powell double feature as well as Rita Hayworth, Frank Capra, William Castle and film noir collections.


THAT's the connection I seemed to be missing. I knew Scorsese was recording a commentary track for the A Matter of Life and Death DVD - easily my most highly anticipated yet-to-be-released film - but this is beyond my wildest expectations. Oh please oh please let it come out before Christmas.

Regardless, can I get a woohoo?


Back to DVD



Forum Nav Content I Follow