Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How The West Was Won - Blu ray

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
62 replies to this topic

#1 of 63 Brent Avery

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor

• 699 posts

Posted August 12 2008 - 01:09 PM

Say, is anyone familiar with U.S. and Canadian versions of this film? I noticed that the Canadian release is listed around 31.00 at the place I usually deal with and the U.S. one is 20.00 more. Hmmm... could it be that it is the same as the Ultimate Edition SD dvd? I never knew there would be a difference between the two but the pricing indicates something. September 9 is fast approaching! ( At least that is the release date up here ). Any insight on this?

#2 of 63 Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted August 12 2008 - 02:00 PM

WoW
The three strip process lines in HD!
JJ
I heard they supposedly removed the lines for the last SD release.
Classic film making in HD!
This is a good thing.
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#3 of 63 Jonny_L

Jonny_L

Stunt Coordinator

• 158 posts

Posted August 12 2008 - 02:27 PM

The difference in price you're seeing is simply the fact that even though for almost 2 years our Canadian dollar has been worth near the same or more then the American dollar, the movie studios will not change their SRP's in Canada. I have no idea why you say the American Version would be more. I would be buying elsewhere.

I've personally asked a few reps about this and gotten the run around about it. One suggested to do what I suggest, buy whatever you can from Amazon.com - theres no import duty and whatever you buy you just need to pay for exchange.

There is NO DIFFERENCE in this title in Canada, except there might be some French on the packaging.
Jonathan
DVD Reviewer / News Editor
eyecravedvd.com

#4 of 63 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,521 posts

Posted August 12 2008 - 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed St. Clair
WoW
JJ
This is a good thing.

I vaguely remember reading an article a few months back showing how they had gone back and redid the line removal again . I wish I could recall where I read it though because it showed some nice comparisons between the different versions.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#5 of 63 frankie108

frankie108

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted August 13 2008 - 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S
I vaguely remember reading an article a few months back showing how they had gone back and redid the line removal again . I wish I could recall where I read it though because it showed some nice comparisons between the different versions.
I hope they did remove those lines and used all their power and magic to do it so that all we see is a pristine image.
Geeeeez. You don't suppose that some people will protest the removal of those lines do ya?

#6 of 63 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,521 posts

Posted August 13 2008 - 09:46 AM

From the comparison that I saw it looked pretty good (i.e. no image loss or degradation) so I would think there wouldn't be much opposition. There may be some detractors but I think the majority of discerning viewers will be happy.

#7 of 63 John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 701 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted August 13 2008 - 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed St. Clair
WoW
JJ
This is a good thing.

The current SD DVD that's out there on this title is made from the old composite negative. There are obvious join lines with frequently different color balance in each "panel". The image is also from a worn negative with old scratches and debris. I was very disappointed with it when I got it. Hopefully, the new SD and BR discs will be revelations. This title deserves it.

#8 of 63 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,521 posts

Posted August 13 2008 - 09:59 AM

Well I still can't find that article... but here is one from HMM that should subside some of the join line fears.

Link
Quote:
Feltenstein notes that in all showings subsequent to the film’s original theatrical run, be it in regular theaters, on television or on home video, “people have had to put up with those awful join lines.”

“It was a fact of life; no one ever bothered to fix it or even make any attempt to explain to audiences why the picture looked funny,” he said.

The new and improved How the West Was Won, sans annoying join lines, will be presented on all three home entertainment editions of the film: a special edition DVD, an “ultimate collectors edition” DVD and a Blu-ray Disc edition.

The Blu-ray Disc edition also will come with a second version of the film that replicates the original Cinerama experience.

“Dave Strohmaier, considered the world’s foremost expert on all things Cinerama, calls it the SmileBox version, because it uses the shape of the original Cinerama screen and expands out with a curve so it looks like a frown on the bottom and a smile on the top,” Feltenstein said. “It’s almost 3-D, and it allows anyone who has a home theater system to recreate the Cinerama experience.”

Also for a good example of the join lines from the previous DVD see this image from Wikipedia.

#9 of 63 RickardL

RickardL

Second Unit

• 470 posts

Posted August 13 2008 - 09:56 PM

There is a video documentary online here about film restoration which includes
HTWWW: BBC NEWS | Programmes | Click | Mission possible: Film restoration

Quote:
Mission possible: Film restoration

Spencer Kelly visits the Warner Bros archive in Los Angeles to meet the people painstakingly restoring old films using the latest technology.
All film deteriorates, end of the story. The 1962 epic How the West Was Won is a case in point.
The last 46 years have not been kind to the reels of film making up the multi-Oscar winning epic - the colour has faded, the landscape is marred by dirt and scratches, and there are strange vertical lines in every shot
Quote:
Cinerama bother

How the West Was Won was more difficult than most to restore - three times as difficult in fact.
In order to dazzle audiences with super-wide vistas, the movie was filmed on three cameras positioned side-by-side, and then the resulting three rolls of film were stitched together and run through three adjacent projectors.
It is an effect called Cinerama and it has given colourist Ray Grabowski something to really get his teeth into.
Each frame is 6,000 pixels wide and since the three rolls of film have all aged differently, each third of a frame has faded or warped to a different degree.
Sitting at a desk that could have been ripped out of the Starship Enterprise, Mr Grabowski uses colour curves, scopes, and his keen eye to match the colour and contrast of each part of the frame.
"The first thing we'll do is adjust contrast to even out the blacks and whites so they're not clipped or just a weird colour," he said.
"From there we'll start to enhance the picture with colour saturation. We'll also work on skin tones, because those are very important."
The stitches between the three parts of the image also need to be removed. Using techniques familiar to the photoshoppers among us, he blurs the offending area of the image using a particular shaped mask.

#10 of 63 Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted August 14 2008 - 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hermes
The current SD DVD that's out there on this title is made from the old composite negative. There are obvious join lines with frequently different color balance in each "panel". The image is also from a worn negative with old scratches and debris. I was very disappointed with it when I got it. Hopefully, the new SD and BR discs will be revelations. This title deserves it.
Sorry.
I was sure a few yrs ago they said the SD DVD wouldn't have the "lines".
(after some great restoration or something)
Never saw the SD; so thanks for clearing that up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie108
You don't suppose that some people will protest the removal of those lines do ya?
Yep! :-)
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#11 of 63 Brian-W

Brian-W

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted August 15 2008 - 03:39 AM

For Los Angeles members - Arclight will be showing "How the West Was Won" in the 3-strip Cinerama projection in the Dome September 7th.
* No longer looking for Hi-Vision Laserdiscs *
(I buried that format)

www.16cylinder.com
www.jet-x.com

#12 of 63 Rob W

Rob W

Second Unit

• 457 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted August 15 2008 - 08:16 AM

I saw HTWWW in Cinerama at the Dome about 5 years ago ( and five years earlier in Seattle ) and it was one of the great moviegoing experiences of my life ( if you're a technology nut or a classics fan ). It was the primary reason for going to both cities and worth every dollar.

Not an especially great place to meet girls, though ! : )

#13 of 63 OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,537 posts

Posted August 15 2008 - 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob W
Not an especially great place to meet girls, though ! : )

Don't you kid us - we all know that the hot girls are all over guys who watch 50 year old movies with John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart split into three different parts with visible lines on a huge screen - nothing hotter than that Posted Image

#14 of 63 Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 974 posts

Posted August 24 2008 - 12:06 PM

Well, its two days until release. I don't see any reviews online and Warner hasn't shipped my preorder. I wonder if this is delayed?

#15 of 63 Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter

• 1,379 posts

Posted August 24 2008 - 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleddyn Williams
Well, its two days until release. I don't see any reviews online and Warner hasn't shipped my preorder. I wonder if this is delayed?

The new release date is now September 9th. WHV has it up on their site.

http://whv.warnerbro.....jsp?OID=49502

#16 of 63 Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 974 posts

Posted August 24 2008 - 03:12 PM

Thanks, Joe!

#17 of 63 DeeF

DeeF

Screenwriter

• 1,676 posts

Posted September 05 2008 - 04:56 AM

Has anybody found this in NYC yet? I sure would like to watch it this weekend. Send me a PM if you know where to pick it up.

#18 of 63 Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted September 05 2008 - 05:20 AM

I used a Best Buy gift certificate to buy this and the Blu-ray of Cool Hand Luke. I received an e-mail that Luke was shipped yesterday, but no work on HTWWW yet.
Rich Gallagher

#19 of 63 Bob_L

Bob_L

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted September 05 2008 - 05:52 PM

They've been showing a widescreen version of HTWWW on the Encore Westerns channel recently. It appears to me that this is the remastered version because the join lines between the Cinerama strips are nearly gone. You can still see some of the lens "distortion," of course. If this is what's going on Blu-ray, it could end up looking very, very good.

#20 of 63 Brian-W

Brian-W

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted September 07 2008 - 10:59 AM

The showing today at the Arclight Hollywood Cinerama dome today of HTWWW was ok. I noticed people lining up at 9:00am this morning, wondering why since seats are assigned. Now I know - the first 100 ticket holders got copies of HTWWW on Blu-Ray as they entered the theater!

They had some of the actors and stunt men from the film present in the audience, and the showing today was ok. A big sound glitch marred the first reels about 1/3 the way in all the way to intermission. A high pitched whine developed and only disappeared during loud music/voices/singing. During the second set of reels (post intermission) they found a way to get around it (it would appear for a split second then go away, but happened consistantly).

It was a lot of fun today, I'm glad WB and Arclight did something for the release on BD.
* No longer looking for Hi-Vision Laserdiscs *
(I buried that format)

www.16cylinder.com
www.jet-x.com

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow