Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Breaking News: Indiana Jones & The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (DVD/Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
98 replies to this topic

#1 of 99 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,868 posts

Posted August 12 2008 - 05:48 AM

[img]http://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/0/08/news_ijdvd.jpeg"> 

With More Than $770 Million in Worldwide Box Office, the Globe-Trotting Adventure Launches October 14 in Single & Two-Disc DVD and Blu-ray Packed with Sensational Behind-the-Scenes Special Features

‘Crystal Skull’ Marks First New Release on Blu-ray from Lucasfilm Ltd. and Steven Spielberg

SAN FRANCISCO, CALIF. – The highest-grossing installment of the phenomenally popular adventure franchise, with more than $770 million at the global box office, Paramount Pictures and Lucasfilm Ltd.’s Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull will make its highly anticipated debut on DVD and Blu-ray October 14. Released by Lucasfilm Ltd. and Paramount Home Entertainment, the film will be available as a two-disc Special Edition DVD and Blu-ray loaded with spectacular bonus features that allow viewers to accompany the filmmakers and cast on a fascinating journey behind-the-scenes of this modern classic.

Directed by Steven Spielberg and produced by Frank Marshall, with George Lucas and Kathleen Kennedy as executive producers, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is the newest adventure in the phenomenally successful INDIANA JONES series, which has earned six Academy Awards® and over $2 billion worldwide.

Set in 1957, the film stars Harrison Ford, Cate Blanchett, Karen Allen, Shia LaBeouf, Ray Winstone and John Hurt, following Indy on a perilous adventure to find the coveted Crystal Skull of Akator. From the ivy-covered halls of Marshall College to the verdant jungles of South America, Indy is relentlessly pursued by sinister Soviet agents who will stop at nothing to get their hands on the eerie object of fascination.

The two-disc Special Edition DVD and Blu-ray presentations feature hours of new content that opens up the world of Indiana Jones as never before through in-depth footage of Steven Spielberg and his cast and crew at work. From Shia LaBeouf’s training to become a master swordsman to Harrison Ford’s reunion with his fedora, whip...and Karen Allen as Marion Ravenwood, viewers will play witness to the magic of cinema’s greatest action-adventure hero’s triumphant return to the big screen, as well as the of the extraordinary work of legendary artists who brought Indy’s latest thrilling adventure to life.

In addition, all four INDIANA JONES films will be showcased in the quintessential Indiana Jones collection entitled The Complete Adventure Collection, which will include the first three films plus the two-disc Special Edition DVD of the latest installment.

DVD

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull two-disc Special Edition DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 TVs with THX Certified Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, French 5.1 Surround and Spanish 5.1 Surround and English, French and Spanish subtitles. The two-disc set includes the following special features:

Disc 1:

· The Return of a Legend—The evolution of the new film and a tribute to the legendary hero and his creators.

· Pre-Production—Follows Steven Spielberg as he creates animatic sequences, Shia LaBeouf as he learns to swordfight and captures the reunion of filmmakers and cast on the soundstage.

DVD Disc 2:

· Production Diary: Making Kingdom of the Crystal Skull—Join filmmakers, cast and crew for a complete look at the making of the film.

o Shooting Begins: New Mexico

o Back To School: New Haven, Connecticut

o Welcome to the Jungle: Hilo, Hawaii

o On-Set Action

o Exploring Akator

o Wrapping Up!

· Warrior Makeup

· The Crystal Skulls

· Iconic Props

· The Effects of Indy

· Adventures in Post Production

· Closing: Team Indy

· Pre-Visualization Sequences

o Area 51 Escape

o Jungle Chase

o Ants Attack

· Galleries

o The Art Department

§ The Adventure Begins

§ Cemetery and Jungle

§ Akator

o Stan Winston Studio

§ Corpses, Skeletons & Mummies

§ Aliens & Crystal Skulls

o Production Photographs

o Portraits

o Behind-the-Scenes Photographs

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull also will be available as a single disc DVD presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 TVs with THX Certified Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, French 5.1 Surround and Spanish 5.1 Surround and English, French and Spanish subtitles.

Blu-ray

The Special Edition Blu-ray is presented in 1080p High Definition with THX Certified English 5.1 Dolby True HD, French 5.1 Dolby Digital and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital and English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese subtitles. The two-disc set includes the following special features:

Blu-ray Disc 1:

· Indiana Jones Timelines— Explore the movie through interactive timelines that include video featurettes, in-depth information and unique imagery. Your adventure begins with one of these three timelines:

o Story Timeline: Showcases the key events of the “Kingdom of the Crystal Skull” storyline.

o Production Timeline: A Making-of chronology for “Kingdom of the Crystal Skull”.

o Historical Timeline: Dives into the real-world historical influences that are referenced in the film.

· The Return of a Legend—The evolution of the new film and a tribute to the legendary hero and his creators. (HD)

· Pre-Production—Follows Steven Spielberg as he creates animatic sequences, Shia LaBeouf as he learns to swordfight and captures the reunion of filmmakers and cast on the soundstage. (HD)

Disc 2:

· Production Diary: Making Kingdom of the Crystal Skull—Join filmmakers, cast and crew for a complete look at the making of the film.

o Shooting Begins: New Mexico (HD)

o Back To School: New Haven, Connecticut (HD)

o Welcome to the Jungle: Hilo, Hawaii (HD)

o On-Set Action (HD)

o Exploring Akator (HD)

o Wrapping Up! (HD)

· Warrior Makeup (HD)

· The Crystal Skulls (HD)

· Iconic Props (HD)

· The Effects of Indy (HD)

· Adventures in Post Production (HD)

· Closing: Team Indy (HD)

· Pre-Visualization Sequences

o Area 51 Escape (HD)

o Jungle Chase (HD)

o Ants Attack (HD)

· Galleries

o The Art Department

§ The Adventure Begins

§ Cemetery and Jungle

§ Akator

o Stan Winston Studio

§ Corpses, Skeletons & Mummies

§ Aliens & Crystal Skulls

o Production Photographs

o Portraits

o Behind-the-Scenes Photographs

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull has a running time of 122 minutes and an MPAA rating of PG-13 for adventure violence and scary images and is rated PG in Canada for violence and frightening scenes. For even more information about the adventures of Indiana Jones, visit

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 99 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,436 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 12 2008 - 05:52 AM

Speilberg didn't do a commentary?! Posted Image

Can't wait to pick this one up.

EDIT: Looks like the timelines are Blu Ray exclusives:
Quote:
· Indiana Jones Timelines— Explore the movie through interactive timelines that include video featurettes, in-depth information and unique imagery. Your adventure begins with one of these three timelines:

o Story Timeline: Showcases the key events of the “Kingdom of the Crystal Skull” storyline.

o Production Timeline: A Making-of chronology for “Kingdom of the Crystal Skull”.

o Historical Timeline: Dives into the real-world historical influences that are referenced in the film.

#3 of 99 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,868 posts

Posted August 12 2008 - 06:07 AM

Am I correct in assuming here that the first three Indiana
Jones films will not be released to Blu-ray?

The Adventure set seems to indicate DVD.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4 of 99 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,436 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 12 2008 - 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
Am I correct in assuming here that the first three Indiana
Jones films will not be released to Blu-ray?
I read a story over at Yahoo that specifically said that the four movie set was DVD only. My guess would be that if this sells (and I'm sure it will), you may see the first three on Blu-Ray next fall.

#5 of 99 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted August 12 2008 - 06:45 AM

I never expected to see the first three released to Blu-ray Disc this year, so I am not surprised nor disappointed to hear that they won't be. I am happy to hear that IJatKotCS will have a BD release however.

The extras look pretty good. I would have really liked to have seen the deleted scenes for this movie though, as it looked like there was a more cohesive story originally than what wound up on the screen. I do think I liked this film a lot more than 'public opinion' would indicate regardless of that criticism.

Finally, I'm not feeling that gold border against the blue 'background' of the Blu-ray Disc case. Bleech.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#6 of 99 Wayne_j

Wayne_j

Second Unit

• 416 posts

Posted August 12 2008 - 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
Speilberg didn't do a commentary?! Posted Image
I don't think Speilberg has ever done a commentary.

#7 of 99 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted August 12 2008 - 07:29 AM

This is a shame, I just want the first; Raider's of the Lost Ark. Hopefully we see it this year and let's hope it doesn't show like the Matrix did as a box set only. I will not buy The Matrix on Blu because it's only sold that way.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#8 of 99 WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,213 posts

Posted August 12 2008 - 08:07 AM

I certainly wasn't counting on it, but I really wish they would have just bit the bullet and issued the whole series on Blu-Ray. Now I'm not sure whether to just get this when it is released or just wait it out. I'm leaning toward the latter, but then if KotCS isn't a big seller on BD, then it might be that much longer before we get the rest.

Quote:
I cannot own The Matrix on Blu because it's only sold that way.

No offense, but that is an incorrect statement. You can own The Matrix on BD, you just choose not to because you don't care for the way it's being offered, and that's fine. Personally, I'm not a hater of ToD or LC so I'd be fine if it was a boxed set. I know others don't prefer it that way, and normally I'd agree, but it's Lucasfilm here and I'd say it's a virtual certanty that the initial BD release of the previous three Indiana Jones films will be a boxed set only
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#9 of 99 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 15,639 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted August 12 2008 - 08:14 AM

No 4 pack = no sale. I'll wait for the inevitable double dip.

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#10 of 99 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,229 posts

Posted August 12 2008 - 08:24 AM

Given 2011 is the 30th anniversary of Raiders of the Lost Ark, it wouldn't surprise me we'll see a boxset of all four films at that time which would make it five years for the originals to reach BD since format inception - similar to the six years it took them to reach DVD.

#11 of 99 John Wielgosz

John Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted August 12 2008 - 08:24 AM

The fact that this is being released bodes well for future Lucas/Spielberg releases on the format. Despite my...displeased attitude towards the movie itself, I hope it sells well and jumpstarts releases of the Indy trilogy.

#12 of 99 Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Screenwriter

• 1,921 posts

Posted August 12 2008 - 08:47 AM

Glad to see Indy on blu and as staed above I hope it sells so we will get the original trilogy on Blu.

That being said; I wasnt pleased w Crystal Skull so I wont buy it but respect and congrats to those who will enjoy this release.
My Blu Rays
http://www.blu-ray.c...ol...=Dj Matt B

Favorite films of all time in no order
1. Zodiac 2. Dawn of the Dead (1978) 3. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 4. Blade Runner 5. The Warriors 6. Dark Knight 7. The Godfather  8. Bullitt 9. Experiment in Terror 10. Raiders of the Lost...

#13 of 99 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,616 posts

Posted August 12 2008 - 08:56 AM

Must say the Blu-ray cover art is pretty cool...brings back some of the Temple of Doom-ness. Posted Image

#14 of 99 Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted August 12 2008 - 08:58 AM

Glad to see Crystal Skull on BD. Would love to see the first 3 on BD as well, but I can live with the DVDs upconverted until their eventual release on BD.

I like the cover art for the BD too, Tim. Much better than the DVD cover. Much more of a classic look. The DVD cover looks like it was done in the style of the Star Wars prequel and SE editions.

#15 of 99 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted August 12 2008 - 10:24 AM

SWEET!

wow its going to be a very expensive fall with all of these great releases!

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#16 of 99 David Allen

David Allen

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted August 12 2008 - 10:54 AM

"DVD

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull two-disc Special Edition DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 TVs with THX Certified Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, French 5.1 Surround and Spanish 5.1 Surround and English, French and Spanish subtitles. The two-disc set includes the following special features:"

So, only the audio is THX certified?

#17 of 99 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted August 12 2008 - 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillG
I certainly wasn't counting on it, but I really wish they would have just bit the bullet and issued the whole series on Blu-Ray. Now I'm not sure whether to just get this when it is released or just wait it out. I'm leaning toward the latter, but then if KotCS isn't a big seller on BD, then it might be that much longer before we get the rest.

No offense, but that is an incorrect statement. You can own The Matrix on BD, you just choose not to because you don't care for the way it's being offered, and that's fine. Personally, I'm not a hater of ToD or LC so I'd be fine if it was a boxed set. I know others don't prefer it that way, and normally I'd agree, but it's Lucasfilm here and I'd say it's a virtual certanty that the initial BD release of the previous three Indiana Jones films will be a boxed set only

I edited my post just for you Will.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#18 of 99 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted August 12 2008 - 12:14 PM

Fan-fookin-tastic! Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Now where's the first three Indy's and those Star Wars films? Posted Image
Death before Streaming!

#19 of 99 Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted August 12 2008 - 02:24 PM

The lukewarm-to-negative fan reaction (and my best friend's vitriolic thumbs-down verdict) actually kept me from seeing this one in the theater (sad, really, as I consider ROTLA the greatest action-adventure film of all time). But of course I have to see it at some point, and I'm glad I'll be able to do so on high-def.

--Jefferson Morris
"If fakes, they were masterpieces."

--The New York Times commenting on Willis O'Brien's dinosaurs in The Lost World (1925).

"From the two trailers I've seen, the movie looks like AIDS."--Recent thread post on AICN

#20 of 99 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted August 12 2008 - 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson Morris
The lukewarm-to-negative fan reaction (and my best friend's vitriolic thumbs-down verdict) actually kept me from seeing this one in the theater (sad, really, as I consider ROTLA the greatest action-adventure film of all time). But of course I have to see it at some point, and I'm glad I'll be able to do so on high-def.

--Jefferson Morris

I know lots of people poo pooed this movie, but with a take of almost $800 million world wide....someone had to like it. Personally It's now my second favorite Indy film.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow