What's new

CBS Books a new Hawaii Five-O and Streets.. (1 Viewer)

Blake Comeaux

Stunt Coordinator
I know the new Hawaii Five-O is actually more of a continuation focusing on McGarrett's son. Does anyone one know if the new Streets of San Francisco is a remake of the original series or a new series that exist in the same universe as the old show. I prefer the latter since that allows for actors from the old series to reprise their roles in guest spots. Is Karl Malden even acting anymore? I just looked it up. I didn't know he was 96 years old! I wouldn't be surprised if they based the show around is grandson.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Regarding Hawaii Five-O. Who would you cast as McGarrett's son? And would you have the guy who played Danno make some appearances? He could be some state big wig.

Blake Comeaux

Stunt Coordinator
I know James MacArthur was in the unaired 1997 TV movie, which I believe was actually a pilot for a new series, as Governor Dan Williams. Apparently CBS decided not to air it since it featured Kam Fong as Chin Ho, who had been killed off in the 10th season and no one working on the new show mentioned it including Kam Fong! (Of course I got this information from imdb.com so it may not be accurate). I don't see why he couldn't still be governor of Hawaii though. That would be nifty because he could appear as often as he liked and would help connect the show to the original more. I don't know who I'd want to see as the son, maybe an unknown. I think it wouldn't hurt the show to also crossover with Magnum P.I. early in it's first season for a little publicity.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
There was no son on Hawaii Five-0. Why does it have to be McGarrett's son running the department? Enough with nepotism.

I'm still pitching Barnaby Jones: The Middle Age Years.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
We could also have Walker, Texas Ranger with a Walker. I'm not sure either of those shows will make it. They tried to do a remake of Maverick with James Garner in it. Like Maverick the main audience will be people that has a vivid memory of 5-0 or Streets are people close to or over 50 and this is not the demographic the networks and advertisers are trying to reach.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

If that is the case with the demographic these shows will quickly come and go. I have a bad feeling that this is a way for CBS to make CSI: Hawaii and CSI: San Francisco without having to get laughed at for making more spinoffs. They can quietly go about in a way that seems credible. I dunno...

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Isn't Karl Malden no longer with us? As Far as the the Douglas boy don't hold your breath, might get Richard Hatch thou now that his BSG gig is over.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
McGarrett had no son or wife from 1968 - 1980 so why would he now? This is a bad idea rivaling the introduction of "Paul Drake, Jr." in the reunion PERRY MASON movies.

If CBS want to remake 5-0, fine, but make the new head an entirely new character unrelated to the old show. Of the original cast, only Chin Ho had a family and even his older kids would be nearing retirement in 2008.

I also hear CBS is bringing Andy Griffith and Dick Van Dyke together for a new MOW where Ben Matlock and Mark Sloan battle a series of murders at their nursing home while simultaneously trying to keep their medicines from falling into the wrong hands.

Mister-Mike

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Quigley
Ed Bernero, executive producer of Criminal Minds, who is behind the TV remake of Hawaii Five-O, posted recently in my Five-O Guestbook, asking for fan input on what people liked the most about the old series.

You might want to check this out:

The Hawaii Five-O Guestbook

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member

Did they say for sure he had no wife or son, or just not mention his home life?

I've watched the first 3 seasons and don't remember any mention of him being single.

As for whether the lead of the new show is supposed to be his son, that seems pretty minor. It's just a name, really. I'm much more interested in the storylines and the look of the show.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Congratulations Mike that your site was contacted by Ed Bernero!

My sense of a new Hawaii Five-0 is that it would be very much like CSI. Perhaps a cross between the Miami and New York show and that Flashpoint show. To meet the demographic that network shows are shooting for, my guess is that it would be very high tech using the latest technology and computer gadgets.

Those CSI shows have a senior guy running the group with the younger guys out doing the leg work. Perhaps this new Hawaii Five-0 will have a lady or two in the group, Maybe McGarrett's daughter! And I highly doubt the headquarters would be the Iolani Palace! It would be a high-tech lab and offices.

It wil be tough, but like Galactica, I bet it will be a re-imaging and not related to the original, except name only.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member

I sure hope not. CSI is the bizarre murder of the week, very formulaic. One great thing about Hawaii Five-O was the variety of stories. The writers couldn't just do a search & replace on last week's script to create this week's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks