What's new

Anyone use an Optical Switch? (1 Viewer)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I just bought a blu-ray player and now with my all my other components I've run out of optical and digital coaxial inputs on the back of my receiver (Pioneer 1014TX). The receiver doesn't have HDMI, so my HDMI cables run straight to the TV for video only.

I don't want to buy another receiver right now so I was thinking of buying an optical switch like this:

Amazon.com: Nyrius SW100 Digital Audio Optical Toslink 3-Way Selector Switch for Fiber Optic Home Theater Connections (Silver): Electronics

Anyone use these? Are they OK to use? I don't want to lose any audio quality. Maybe that's not an issue since this is an optical cable. I don't know. Any comments or other solutions ( inexpensive ones
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
) would be appreciated!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I have one that I bought from Radio Shack several years ago. It has four inputs and is black. Works just fine. If you buy one that is defective you will know pretty much right away.

To be sure, I don’t really know how well the mechanical mechanism will hold up, as I don’t often switch from one input to another, but so far, so good.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You can also use an optical splitter in reverse as long as only one of the optical "inputs" is on at a time. Make sure you get it from a company with a good return policy as the optical quality varies widely. I've also seen these carried by Meritline for $9. I've placed many successful orders with them.

As another 1014 user, I do know about the lack of digital inputs. I've been using my front optical input sometimes. I'll probably pick up a couple of these splitters the next time a make an order from Meritline or Monoprice.

-Robert

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I decided not to go with the optical switch. I caved and bought a new receiver.

I picked up the Pioneer 1018. I'm loving the Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks