What's new

New David Lynch 10 Disc "Lime Green" DVD Box Set (1 Viewer)

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit
Just saw this press release on Dugpa.com:

Dugpa.com - A David Lynch and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - Resource Site

Writer, director and artist David Lynch has personally selected these works, including many pieces new to DVD, and a “mystery disc” of content taken from Lynch’s own personal archives and available only in this box set.

BOX SET INCLUDES:

ERASERHEAD – REMASTERED VERSION

ERASERHEAD SOUND TRACK

THE SHORT FILMS OF DAVID LYNCH

THE ELEPHANT MAN

THE ELEPHANT MAN EXTRAS – DVD DEBUT

WILD AT HEART

INDUSTRIAL SYMPHONY No. 1 – DVD DEBUT

BLUE VELVET – NEW LYNCH APPROVED 5.1 SOUND MIX

DUMBLAND

MYSTERY DISC – DVD DEBUT

BOOKLET – FEATURING RARE LYNCH IMAGERY

Running Time +/- 720 minutes
DVD: 5/9
9 DVDs + 1 CD
PKG: Deluxe Box Set Packaging
UPC: 858334001398
Street Date: November 18th, 2008
SRP: $179.95

Not sure what I make of it... I own all of the DVDs except for the exclusive ones so I don't think I can afford to pick this one up unless the "Mystery" DVD has some serious extras like the lost Deleted Scenes to Blue Velvet.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, $180 (I'm assuming this is a davidlynch.com exclusive item so there won't be a discount) is a lot of money when I have everything but the new discs. I'm sure Industrial Symphony No. 1 will be available on its own some day so I'll be waiting for that.

I'm guessing that the Blue Velvet sound mix is the same one on MGM's re-release?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Well it wouldn't be "new" then wouldn't it?

Also wasn't the MGM mix just billed as 5.1 but was in fact 3.1?

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit
Here's some more details from dugpa.com

I don't get it why they would spend time doing a new audio mix on Blue Velvet and not add some new extras for the films in the box set. Just doesn't seem like this one is gonna sell real well...

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller

It's being distributed by Ryko, so it should be available from most major retailers.

This release is a mixed bag for me. I hate Dumbland and Wild at Heart (and really, why does Dumbland need an entire disc to itself?). I already have Eraserhead and Blue Velvet. I would love to own Elephant Man (especially with the bonus disc) but I've been holding out for a Blu-Ray. Short Films... I can take it or leave it. But it would great to have a legitimate, remastered copy of Industrial Symphony. The "mystery disc" could be the deciding factor. That price is pretty steep, though.

I guess I'll probably end up buying this, and then kicking myself when the movies start coming out on Blu-Ray. I just wish I could swap out the Dumbland and Wild at Heart discs for, say, Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
The fact that he's touching the sound on Blue Velvet makes me think that the Mystery involves new BV elements. I'm willing to invest... but I'm going to wait until there's news of more Lynch BluRays. I don't want to drop $170 in 2008 and end up double-dipping in 2009.

So far the best news is The Elephant Man getting two discs. That makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
If only this set featured/licensed the new remastered R2 transfer of Lost Highway with extras and commentary in place of Dumbland and Wild At Heart, I'd be all over it. I have no idea what INDUSTRIAL SYMPHONY No. 1 is but this is WAY TOO MUCH money to spend on three film (Eraserhead, Blue Velvet and the Short Films). It's too bad he doesn't want to license his work out to a competent studio to properly release in a career retrospective set. This sounds like a bit of a waste to me personally. Dumbland looks horrible and Wild At Heart kind of sucks in my opinion.

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit
I wonder what the point is of keeping the "Mystery" Disc a Mystery. I doubt it will be Deleted Scenes, as that would be a huge selling point. Plus after the first online review, it will no longer be a mystery.

Still what bothers me about this release is why even bother and re-release Wild at Heart or Blue Velvet without adding any additional content as an incentive to double dip.

So what you are left with are the Elephant Man bonus DVD, Industrial Symphony, and the Mystery Disc which can't possibly be worth the steep suggested retail price.

It's a shame to put so much effort into getting the rights to those films only to have a box set that will likely fail as from what I can tell, even the hardcore fans are passing on this one.

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller

It's essentially an hour-long music video for Julee Cruise. It's pretty good, but whether or not you want to own it depends on how much you like Cruise.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

Sounds like more reason to pass on this for me.

Also Dumbland is awful... a real chore to sit through. Too bad the worthwhile films couldn't simply be remastered and released individually as Special Editions with interesting extras and a reasonable price tag.

I don't understand who this is being marketed towards...

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
A couple more possibilities occurred to me re: the "Mystery Disc":

1. On the Air, the aborted television series that is rumored to make it's home video debut sometime soon. Seven 30min episodes exist, which would roughly fill one disc and probably isn't substantial enough to warrant a separate release, anyway.

2. The television pilot version of Mulholland Dr. which runs a little over 100min and ends with the bum behind Winkie's holding the blue box. This seems less likely, as Lynch was supposedly very unhappy with the pilot.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

I've got ON The Air. The first episode is SO funny and the rest pretty much stinks. I've also got Industrial Symphony ... it's pretty neat.

And as I'm pass double dipping on SD releases ... this strikes me as a bloated overpriced boxset, timed for holiday sales.

This one is an easy pass for me.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
You could probably even fit both "On the Air" (7 episodes at about 22 minutes) and "Hotel Room" (3 30 minute episodes) on a single disc. It would be pushing it but Sony did "NewsRadio" discs with 10 half-hour episodes and that would just be a tad bit more.

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit
Looks like details are starting to leak regarding the contents of the Mystery Disc. According to an interview with Lynch and an article at Dugpa.com Lynch has found and will be releasing 120 minutes of Deleted and Extended Scenes from Wild at Heart!

For this reason alone, I think I've just gone from passing on this one to picking this one up. Granted they are not Twin Peaks Deleted Scenes, but from what I recall, some of the Deleted Material from Wild at Heart was supposed to be pretty intense. I think there was at least one more Crispin Glover scene, several more intense sex scenes with Lula and Sailor, as well as the famous extended torture/masturbation scene with Harry Dean Stanton.

Also to be included are some rare 16mm college experiments that Lynch did back in the 60's as well as his Rabbits series that was partially used in Inland Empire.

Check out the articles here:

Dugpa.com - A David Lynch and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - Resource Site

The Mysterious Mr. Lynch | homemediamagazine.com

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
It went from a "possible buy" to a "no thanks" for me. WAH is my least favorite Lynch movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.