Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

New David Lynch 10 Disc "Lime Green" DVD Box Set

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 OFFLINE   John Sullmeyer

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit

• 274 posts

Posted August 11 2008 - 02:16 PM

Just saw this press release on Dugpa.com:

Dugpa.com - A David Lynch and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - Resource Site

Writer, director and artist David Lynch has personally selected these works, including many pieces new to DVD, and a “mystery disc” of content taken from Lynch’s own personal archives and available only in this box set.

BOX SET INCLUDES:

ERASERHEAD – REMASTERED VERSION

ERASERHEAD SOUND TRACK

THE SHORT FILMS OF DAVID LYNCH

THE ELEPHANT MAN

THE ELEPHANT MAN EXTRAS – DVD DEBUT

WILD AT HEART

INDUSTRIAL SYMPHONY No. 1 – DVD DEBUT

BLUE VELVET – NEW LYNCH APPROVED 5.1 SOUND MIX

DUMBLAND

MYSTERY DISC – DVD DEBUT

BOOKLET – FEATURING RARE LYNCH IMAGERY

Running Time +/- 720 minutes
DVD: 5/9
9 DVDs + 1 CD
PKG: Deluxe Box Set Packaging
UPC: 858334001398
Street Date: November 18th, 2008
SRP: $179.95

Not sure what I make of it... I own all of the DVDs except for the exclusive ones so I don't think I can afford to pick this one up unless the "Mystery" DVD has some serious extras like the lost Deleted Scenes to Blue Velvet.

-John

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me DVDFight for the Deleted Scenes Petitionhttp://www.myspace.com/fwwmfight

#2 of 34 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,308 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 11 2008 - 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sullmeyer
I own all of the DVDs except for the exclusive ones so I don't think I can afford to pick this one up unless the "Mystery" DVD has some serious extras like the lost Deleted Scenes to Blue Velvet.
Yeah, $180 (I'm assuming this is a davidlynch.com exclusive item so there won't be a discount) is a lot of money when I have everything but the new discs. I'm sure Industrial Symphony No. 1 will be available on its own some day so I'll be waiting for that.

I'm guessing that the Blue Velvet sound mix is the same one on MGM's re-release?

#3 of 34 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,167 posts

Posted August 12 2008 - 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
I'm guessing that the Blue Velvet sound mix is the same one on MGM's re-release?
Well it wouldn't be "new" then wouldn't it?

Also wasn't the MGM mix just billed as 5.1 but was in fact 3.1?

#4 of 34 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,308 posts

Posted August 12 2008 - 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Dalek
Well it wouldn't be "new" then wouldn't it?
I thought maybe they used the word 'new' to differentiate it from the first MGM release. However if the re-release only had a 3.1 mix, I guess it is new. Sorry for asking a question.

#5 of 34 OFFLINE   John Sullmeyer

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit

• 274 posts

Posted August 12 2008 - 02:46 AM

Here's some more details from dugpa.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugpa.com
Update: I have gotten confirmation that the Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart DVD should be identical to the existing releases with the exception that Blue Velvet will be getting a brand new 5.1 re-mix for 2008 which will be done by David. I'm surprised as the previous one sounded pretty good but maybe they found additional elements for this one. Industrial Symphony will be remastered for this set and will remain exclusive for this release along with the Mystery DVD which still remains a mystery. According to Absurda, only David knows what is on the Mystery DVD and he isn't spilling the beans. The box set will be distributed by Ryko, so expect it at most stores and online retailers.

I don't get it why they would spend time doing a new audio mix on Blue Velvet and not add some new extras for the films in the box set. Just doesn't seem like this one is gonna sell real well...
-John

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me DVDFight for the Deleted Scenes Petitionhttp://www.myspace.com/fwwmfight

#6 of 34 OFFLINE   Martin Teller

Martin Teller

Screenwriter

• 2,414 posts

Posted August 12 2008 - 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
(I'm assuming this is a davidlynch.com exclusive item so there won't be a discount)

It's being distributed by Ryko, so it should be available from most major retailers.

This release is a mixed bag for me. I hate Dumbland and Wild at Heart (and really, why does Dumbland need an entire disc to itself?). I already have Eraserhead and Blue Velvet. I would love to own Elephant Man (especially with the bonus disc) but I've been holding out for a Blu-Ray. Short Films... I can take it or leave it. But it would great to have a legitimate, remastered copy of Industrial Symphony. The "mystery disc" could be the deciding factor. That price is pretty steep, though.

I guess I'll probably end up buying this, and then kicking myself when the movies start coming out on Blu-Ray. I just wish I could swap out the Dumbland and Wild at Heart discs for, say, Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive.

#7 of 34 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,030 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted August 12 2008 - 04:37 AM

This will have to get a serious discount for me to bite. :S

#8 of 34 OFFLINE   Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted August 13 2008 - 10:17 AM

The fact that he's touching the sound on Blue Velvet makes me think that the Mystery involves new BV elements. I'm willing to invest... but I'm going to wait until there's news of more Lynch BluRays. I don't want to drop $170 in 2008 and end up double-dipping in 2009.

So far the best news is The Elephant Man getting two discs. That makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

#9 of 34 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted August 13 2008 - 11:36 AM

If only this set featured/licensed the new remastered R2 transfer of Lost Highway with extras and commentary in place of Dumbland and Wild At Heart, I'd be all over it. I have no idea what INDUSTRIAL SYMPHONY No. 1 is but this is WAY TOO MUCH money to spend on three film (Eraserhead, Blue Velvet and the Short Films). It's too bad he doesn't want to license his work out to a competent studio to properly release in a career retrospective set. This sounds like a bit of a waste to me personally. Dumbland looks horrible and Wild At Heart kind of sucks in my opinion.

#10 of 34 OFFLINE   John Sullmeyer

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit

• 274 posts

Posted August 13 2008 - 01:42 PM

I wonder what the point is of keeping the "Mystery" Disc a Mystery. I doubt it will be Deleted Scenes, as that would be a huge selling point. Plus after the first online review, it will no longer be a mystery.

Still what bothers me about this release is why even bother and re-release Wild at Heart or Blue Velvet without adding any additional content as an incentive to double dip.

So what you are left with are the Elephant Man bonus DVD, Industrial Symphony, and the Mystery Disc which can't possibly be worth the steep suggested retail price.

It's a shame to put so much effort into getting the rights to those films only to have a box set that will likely fail as from what I can tell, even the hardcore fans are passing on this one.
-John

#11 of 34 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,308 posts

Posted August 13 2008 - 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sullmeyer
I wonder what the point is of keeping the "Mystery" Disc a Mystery.
I guess it's just a Lynch quirk- like keeping the secret of how they made the baby in Eraserhead.

Quote:
It's a shame to put so much effort into getting the rights to those films only to have a box set that will likely fail as from what I can tell, even the hardcore fans are passing on this one.
Me too but the more selfish part of me says that if doesn't sell well maybe they'll sell Industrial Symphony and the other exclusives separately to make some money.

#12 of 34 OFFLINE   Martin Teller

Martin Teller

Screenwriter

• 2,414 posts

Posted August 14 2008 - 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoBiscotti
I have no idea what INDUSTRIAL SYMPHONY No. 1 is

It's essentially an hour-long music video for Julee Cruise. It's pretty good, but whether or not you want to own it depends on how much you like Cruise.

#13 of 34 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted August 14 2008 - 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Teller
It's essentially an hour-long music video for Julee Cruise. It's pretty good, but whether or not you want to own it depends on how much you like Cruise.

Sounds like more reason to pass on this for me.

Also Dumbland is awful... a real chore to sit through. Too bad the worthwhile films couldn't simply be remastered and released individually as Special Editions with interesting extras and a reasonable price tag.

I don't understand who this is being marketed towards...

#14 of 34 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,030 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted August 14 2008 - 09:57 AM

I liked DUMBLAND, it was Inland Empire that was a chore to get through.

Saw this on amazon:

Posted Image
Amazon.com: Lynch (One): Laura Dern, David Lynch, Mørten Soborg, Jason S., Morton Sobort, Sune Martin, blackANDwhite: Movies & TV

Out this month, any idea what it is? Be funny if it was the MYSTERY DISC Posted Image

#15 of 34 OFFLINE   Martin Teller

Martin Teller

Screenwriter

• 2,414 posts

Posted August 15 2008 - 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell G
I liked DUMBLAND, it was Inland Empire that was a chore to get through.

Saw this on amazon:

Posted Image
Amazon.com: Lynch (One): Laura Dern, David Lynch, Mørten Soborg, Jason S., Morton Sobort, Sune Martin, blackANDwhite: Movies & TV

Out this month, any idea what it is? Be funny if it was the MYSTERY DISC Posted Image

It's this documentary.

#16 of 34 OFFLINE   Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted August 17 2008 - 01:36 PM

A couple more possibilities occurred to me re: the "Mystery Disc":

1. On the Air, the aborted television series that is rumored to make it's home video debut sometime soon. Seven 30min episodes exist, which would roughly fill one disc and probably isn't substantial enough to warrant a separate release, anyway.

2. The television pilot version of Mulholland Dr. which runs a little over 100min and ends with the bum behind Winkie's holding the blue box. This seems less likely, as Lynch was supposedly very unhappy with the pilot.

#17 of 34 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 2,000 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted August 17 2008 - 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah Sullivan

1. On the Air, the aborted television series that is rumored to make it's home video debut sometime soon. Seven 30min episodes exist, which would roughly fill one disc and probably isn't substantial enough to warrant a separate release, anyway.

2. The television pilot version of Mulholland Dr. which runs a little over 100min and ends with the bum behind Winkie's holding the blue box. This seems less likely, as Lynch was supposedly very unhappy with the pilot.

I've got ON The Air. The first episode is SO funny and the rest pretty much stinks. I've also got Industrial Symphony ... it's pretty neat.

And as I'm pass double dipping on SD releases ... this strikes me as a bloated overpriced boxset, timed for holiday sales.

This one is an easy pass for me.

#18 of 34 OFFLINE   Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted August 17 2008 - 05:45 PM

You could probably even fit both "On the Air" (7 episodes at about 22 minutes) and "Hotel Room" (3 30 minute episodes) on a single disc. It would be pushing it but Sony did "NewsRadio" discs with 10 half-hour episodes and that would just be a tad bit more.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#19 of 34 OFFLINE   John Sullmeyer

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit

• 274 posts

Posted October 28 2008 - 12:20 PM

Looks like details are starting to leak regarding the contents of the Mystery Disc. According to an interview with Lynch and an article at Dugpa.com, Lynch has found and will be releasing 120 minutes of Deleted and Extended Scenes from Wild at Heart!

For this reason alone, I think I've just gone from passing on this one to picking this one up. Granted they are not Twin Peaks Deleted Scenes, but from what I recall, some of the Deleted Material from Wild at Heart was supposed to be pretty intense. I think there was at least one more Crispin Glover scene, several more intense sex scenes with Lula and Sailor, as well as the famous extended torture/masturbation scene with Harry Dean Stanton.

Also to be included are some rare 16mm college experiments that Lynch did back in the 60's as well as his Rabbits series that was partially used in Inland Empire.

Check out the articles here:

Dugpa.com - A David Lynch and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - Resource Site

The Mysterious Mr. Lynch | homemediamagazine.com
-John

#20 of 34 OFFLINE   Martin Teller

Martin Teller

Screenwriter

• 2,414 posts

Posted October 28 2008 - 04:10 PM

It went from a "possible buy" to a "no thanks" for me. WAH is my least favorite Lynch movie.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow