What's new

Denon AVR-588 Reciever / Audio problems (1 Viewer)

jaxlynn86

Auditioning
Real Name
anderson
Hey I'm kinda new at this. Ive purchased this Denon AVR-588 receiver from a local dealer in my area. As well a (2) Klipsch F-2 Towers and the Klipsch Quintet SL surround package as well as a Klipsch Ksw-12 Sub. I've got my PS3 and my HD dish network receiver hooked up directly to my Receiver and then out to my Samsung 50" Plasma tv using HDMI cables (only). I hooked the two towers into my front R/L channels in the receiver, and adjusted my audio receiver to 5-channel stereo mode and the the cable option(where I have my satellite receiver hooked into), and received the picture but no sound.. So I tried the dvd option(PS3), again got the picture but no sound. So i went the the tuner option, and adjusted to a local fm station..no sound. I tried analog on/off, 5/7 channel stereo, surround, pcm, dts, everything.... Went to the setup options 1, 2, and 3, adjusted as the manual stated for speakers, input and output for HDMI mode. So i called the dealer (best buy). they told me something about having to use rca cables (red,white) to run my ps3 and/or HD dish network receiver if i wanted to run into stereo. Didnt know weather there just idiots or just ran out of things to tell me to try. So I tried running rca cables from satellite receiver to audio receiver (denon). Surpisingly got a consistent static sound from both channels, but thats it. So called Circuit city, they said I MUST use an optical cable for my PS3 and satellite to get any sound whether in stereo or surround. Is this correct???? I'm kinda beginning to think this reciever is some sort of a dud... Please let me know what to do and how i may can reslove this issue...

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
hmm. Your receiver may be set to zone 2. On many (most?) Denon receivers, the digital inputs are zone 1 only.

Be sure that all your speakers are connected to the zone 1 outputs, as well.

You may also want to reset the Denon (which also resets all user configurations back to their default, so you'll have to reconfigure them again.)

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
It looks like you might have to use the optical output from the PS3 and sat receiver. At Denon's site, it says the receiver has HDMI v1.3a for video, but no audio. See it here:
Denon USA | A/V Receivers & Separates
See your receiver at bottom of page, and read the list of features with it.
When using optical or digital coax, you'll need to assign the input you use, to what's plugged into it.

Now, for FM, I'm not sure. That shouldn't be affected by the cables. I see it has an A/B speaker selector switch on the front. Maybe it's set to the "B" speakers? Or possibly the "Mute" button got pushed?

I'm afraid you'll never get to listen to the HD audio formats, from Blu ray movies played on PS3, since the receiver doesn't handle the HD audio over HDMI, and the PS3 doesn't have the 6 analog outputs. You should be able to listen to regular Dolby Digital and DTS though.
Good luck!

jaxlynn86

Auditioning
Real Name
anderson
Thanks man... I just got a dud i guess, took it back to the dealer. he said there was a problem with it, also stated that i probably needed a (better) reciever so I got the Onkyo tx-sr606. Whats your opinion on this reciever vs the denon 988 i was fixing to purchase with what I'm running (speaker/component wise)???

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
The Onkyo 606 should do well for you. It will handle the HD audio formats, from your PS3, that your original receiver wouldn't do.

I like Denon equipment personally. I'd love to have a 3808ci myself. The Denon 988 costs a good bit more than the Onkyo you got, but you did good, getting the Onkyo.

Let us know how you like it, once you get it all set up?
Good luck!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
The Denon has preouts, and Audyssey MultiXT. The Onkyo has more HDMI inputs. They probably sound a bit different. Why? Is the price the same?

jaxlynn86

Auditioning
Real Name
anderson
The denon 988 was acually cheaper than the onkyo 606, by $20!!! I know the msrp is way more on the 988 than the onkyo 606- $1200.00 vs $700.00 but spoke with several people and said the sound is much richer and louder on the onkyo 606 than the denon 988, so that's what i went with...
I think i made a good buy, even though i could have purchased this same receiver online for right under four hundered :frowning: the sales man sold me a brand new polk audio cs20 center channel for $75.00- LIST $299.99, so i insisted on purchasing the reciever from them

$499.99 ONKYO TX-SR606

$479.99 DENON 988 ( NEW OPEN BOX SPECIAL)

Circuit City....

** any suggestions on a >very good< subwoofer (preferably klipsch)????**

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks