Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Lost: Season 5

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1411 replies to this topic

#41 of 1412 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,190 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted November 21 2008 - 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattCR
I think there will be a lot of flash-backs to see what happened on the Island in the time they've since been on the mainland.
I think it's episode 6 that is entitled
The Life And Death Of Jeremy Bentham. I don't know anything about it beyond the title but it seems safe to assume that you're going to see what happened to Locke between the island and when he's in the coffin.

#42 of 1412 OFFLINE   McPaul

McPaul

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted November 21 2008 - 06:54 PM

I'm terribly embarrassed to say that it has literally been too long and I have forgotten most of season 4, and I am a huge Lost fan.

I haven't picked up the S4 set yet, and think they waited too long to release it.

#43 of 1412 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,190 posts

Posted November 22 2008 - 04:32 AM

Like most series, they wait until its close to the premiere of the next season to release the previous season (on December 9) so they cross promote each other.

#44 of 1412 OFFLINE   McPaul

McPaul

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted November 22 2008 - 06:07 AM

and that's good for most cases, but how long has it been? a year and a half?

I think a number of other seasons were released in October or so this year, weren't they?

back to Lostpedia for me...

#45 of 1412 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,812 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted November 22 2008 - 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul McGowan
and that's good for most cases, but how long has it been? a year and a half?

Huh? The last new episode of LOST aired in May, 2008. So about 7 months from the finale to the DVD and a month from the DVD to new episodes.

Quote:
I think a number of other seasons were released in October or so this year, weren't they?

Seasons 1 was on DVD September 6, 2005; Season 2 September 5, 2006. S2 and S3 both had episodes debut in the fall, not January. Season 3 was a December DVD release, leading into S4, which started in January. So I'm not seeing the problem...?

#46 of 1412 OFFLINE   Arild

Arild

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted November 22 2008 - 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
Like most series, they wait until its close to the premiere of the next season to release the previous season (on December 9) so they cross promote each other.
It's already been out for a while in Europe. The Blu-Ray set is yummy. Posted Image

#47 of 1412 OFFLINE   Magnus_M

Magnus_M

Stunt Coordinator

• 80 posts

Posted November 22 2008 - 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Dial
Of note, is that Locke is on the "Island side," of the poster, despite his current location Posted Image

Past, present and future is anything but clear when it comes to Lost, but Locke being on the island side is in order.
As S5 will be the story of the Oceanic Six and (AFAIK) take place in "present time" Locke would still be on the island, though the flash forward in the S4 finale does however mandate that Locke will leave the island at some point.

#48 of 1412 OFFLINE   Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,593 posts

Posted November 22 2008 - 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus_M
Past, present and future is anything but clear when it comes to Lost, but Locke being on the island side is in order.
As S5 will be the story of the Oceanic Six and (AFAIK) take place in "present time" Locke would still be on the island, though the flash forward in the S4 finale does however mandate that Locke will leave the island at some point.

I said "of note," not "that doesn't make sense," for what it's worth...

#49 of 1412 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted December 03 2008 - 08:01 AM

Here's a transcript of an interesting roundtable internet chat with Damon and Carlton:

THUD: LIVE BLOG OF THE LOST SEASON 4 DVD CYBER ROUNDTABLE!

While I was never a big fan of Libby, it seems sort of criminal of them to not follow up on that character. I'm betting they wished they never included the last shot from "Dave".
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#50 of 1412 ONLINE   NeilO

NeilO

Screenwriter

• 2,627 posts

Posted December 03 2008 - 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray H
Here's a transcript of an interesting roundtable internet chat with Damon and Carlton:

THUD: LIVE BLOG OF THE LOST SEASON 4 DVD CYBER ROUNDTABLE!

While I was never a big fan of Libby, it seems sort of criminal of them to not follow up on that character. I'm betting they wished they never included the last shot from "Dave".
I started reading it and then my eyes blurred over. The white on black is hard to take much of.

Meanwhile, anyone else here take advantage of the Dharma Special Access and see two minutes of the season opener?

#51 of 1412 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,190 posts

Posted December 03 2008 - 09:58 AM

Thanks for the link. I definitely wish that they addressed Libby's 'origin' but at this point in time on the show, I don't think there's a way for it to fit into the show and it would just feel like the writers saying "Here's Libby's backstory. Happy, now?"

#52 of 1412 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted December 03 2008 - 02:20 PM

While I can definitely live without her backstory, I imagine that years from now when we're re-watching the series on DVD or whatever, it'll stand out as a pretty big omission if it's not wrapped up. Was it just a coincidence that she just happened to help Desmond and inadvertently led to him crashing on the island? Why the heck was she at the mental institution with Hurley? Was it just a coincidence that she was on the same flight as him and that the two fell in love - especially since she appeared to remember him? I guess we just have to say, "well, that's just the way it happened".

I guess it's just an annoyance since I believe the producers had hinted in the past that we should expect more about Libby.

#53 of 1412 OFFLINE   MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted December 07 2008 - 07:52 PM

Quote:
I guess it's just an annoyance since I believe the producers had hinted in the past that we should expect more about Libby.
I'm pretty sure I remember them actually saying, immediately after she died, that they had a plan to address Libby's backstory. In fact, her appearance in the season 2 finale was cited as the first step in that story. But I can understand the decision - they may have planned to tell the story and then realised, having killed off Libby, that there were more important storytelling priorities.
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#54 of 1412 OFFLINE   Simon Young

Simon Young

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted December 08 2008 - 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewLouwrens
I'm pretty sure I remember them actually saying, immediately after she died, that they had a plan to address Libby's backstory. In fact, her appearance in the season 2 finale was cited as the first step in that story. But I can understand the decision - they may have planned to tell the story and then realised, having killed off Libby, that there were more important storytelling priorities.
I guess if they don't address it, we'll just have to assume that her story goes something like this:
  • Was in a mental institution with Hurley
  • Recovered and became a clinical psychologist
  • Fell in love, got married, her husband died
  • Met Desmond and gave him her husband's boat
  • Ended up on The Island by coincidence/fate
  • Recognised Hurley, genuinely liked him
  • Didn't want him to find out about her past
  • Got shot by Michael
Which is fine as a series of unfortunate events but doesn't really give us any of the big revelations/twists that are so much a part of the show. Why show Libby in a mental institution with Hurley if that's as far as the story goes? Is it to give us a reason as to why she liked him so much, i.e. she knows what he's been through and can identify with him? Or something darker and more insidious? I guess we'll never know, but I think SOME effort should be made to connect the dots, even if it's just a throwaway bit of dialogue.

#55 of 1412 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,293 posts

Posted December 30 2008 - 08:06 AM

For those interested in some early thoughts of Season 5.

An early review of the first two episodes. Fairly non-spoilery.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#56 of 1412 OFFLINE   Louis C

Louis C

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted January 01 2009 - 11:22 AM

Thanks Lou - very good article, and it has really piqued my interest in the S5 opener.

I can hardly wait.

#57 of 1412 OFFLINE   Simon Young

Simon Young

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted January 01 2009 - 12:42 PM

Can I just add, I've been re-watching LOST from the beginning again with my dad (who has never seen it before, and is loving it) and we've just finished Season 2. I've been trying to keep a mental note of outstanding mysteries that (as of Season 5) haven't been answered. Here are a couple that stood out:

- Did Rousseau's team really get sick? If so, how/why? Is it anything to do with the antidote that Desmond, Claire and Aaron have all taken? If not, what is the antidote? Was it merely a red herring to keep the Dharma folk inside the hatch for fear of infection?

- Why did Radzinski draw the invisible map on the blast door? Why not turn on the UV light to help him see? Why edit the film and hide the pieces elsewhere?

I was worried we might never learn the answers, but with Season 5 apparently concerning time-travel, we just might get them a little sooner than I'd thought!

#58 of 1412 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted January 02 2009 - 04:36 PM

I've been keeping tabs on some of the on set reports, etc. and it seems likely that those two may be addressed this season. Posted Image

#59 of 1412 OFFLINE   JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,941 posts

Posted January 03 2009 - 06:09 AM

there'll be 16 episodes, correct? is there 1 or 2 more seasons after this? a total of 6 or 7 season?

#60 of 1412 OFFLINE   Arild

Arild

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted January 03 2009 - 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger
there'll be 16 episodes, correct?

Quote:
is there 1 or 2 more seasons after this? a total of 6 or 7 season?
One more after this, total of six.

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow