• Please log in to reply
1411 replies to this topic

#1 of 1412 Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,209 posts

Posted August 11 2008 - 12:24 AM

Two new characters are set to join the cast of ABC’s "Lost" this season. [Entertainment Weekly]:

* Caesar: a dangerous, physical and extremely intelligent male between the ages of 35 and 45. His intentions are unclear, he’s as skillful at charming people as he is at killing them.
* Ilanna: a European female in her late 20s to early 30s who possesses great intelligence, but who’s also dangerous. She’s "alluring and apparently used to getting her own way".
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#2 of 1412 Ray H

Ray H

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted August 11 2008 - 06:57 AM

Not too sure about new characters...
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#3 of 1412 TravisR

TravisR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 20,763 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 11 2008 - 07:13 AM

I'm sure those names are fake but the descriptions are interesting.

Quote:
Not too sure about new characters...
How can they not have new characters this season?

Isn't this thread about five months early? Posted Image

#4 of 1412 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted August 11 2008 - 09:52 AM

So, the new characters are "dangerous". Everybody involved with the Losties, with the possible exception of Bernard and Rose, is "dangerous" in one way or the other. Posted Image This is like announcing the new characters are "primates". Posted Image

Regards,

Joe

#5 of 1412 Holadem

Holadem

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 8,972 posts

Posted August 11 2008 - 10:23 AM

Quote:
* Ilanna: a European female in her late 20s to early 30s who possesses great intelligence, but who’s also dangerous. She’s "alluring and apparently used to getting her own way".
Sounds like Kate... (who now that I think about it, has been dumbed down a bit lately from her double-crossing ways. Sawyer too!)

--
H

#6 of 1412 Ray H

Ray H

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted August 11 2008 - 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
How can they not have new characters this season?
Of course, they'll probably introduce new characters. I just don't know how I'd feel if the characters are given large roles. I can deal with something like Abaddon who just popped up every five or six episodes. But with two more seasons left, it seems a bit too late to bring in new characters if they're gonna have meaty roles that'll take away from the core cast's screentime.

Also, the creators have a fairly spotty track record with new characters on this show. Some were cool. Some were awful. And don't forget they introduced a couple of new characters last season who still haven't had anything to do.
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#7 of 1412 Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts

Posted August 11 2008 - 01:39 PM

Who knows when (and by that I mean time-wise, or even reality-wise) those characters appear? It would be pretty fair to have substantial characters back off the island. It's either that, or stare at Kate in her underwear for an hour... Posted Image

#8 of 1412 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted August 11 2008 - 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Dial
It's either that, or stare at Kate in her underwear for an hour... Posted Image

Works for me. Posted Image

Joe

#9 of 1412 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,570 posts

Posted August 11 2008 - 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino
So, the new characters are "dangerous". Everybody involved with the Losties, with the possible exception of Bernard and Rose, is "dangerous" in one way or the other. Posted Image This is like announcing the new characters are "primates". Posted Image

Well, Bernard was pretty dangerous when he blew up those tents and killed a bunch of the Others. (Season 3 finale.)

#10 of 1412 TravisR

TravisR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 20,763 posts

Posted August 17 2008 - 12:34 PM

Over at ew.com, they say the title for episode 1 is Because You Left.

#11 of 1412 Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,209 posts

Posted August 25 2008 - 11:53 PM

Michelle Rodriguez returns for one episode this season.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#12 of 1412 Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,683 posts

Posted August 26 2008 - 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Sytsma

No.

NO.

NO!!!!!

Bah, at least it's only one episode. Then Ana Lucia can go back to LOST DUI hell.Posted Image

#13 of 1412 TravisR

TravisR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 20,763 posts

Posted August 26 2008 - 05:30 AM

If you live in Hawaii, stay off the roads for the next week or two! Posted Image

I'm sure it's a vision or flashback so it's not something that makes happy or mad. Although I do like that the writers are doing what they want rather than listening to the fans.

#14 of 1412 Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted August 26 2008 - 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
If you live in Hawaii, stay off the roads for the next week or two! Posted Image

And lock up your daughters! Posted Image

#15 of 1412 Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts

Posted August 26 2008 - 01:24 PM

Quote:
Although I do like that the writers are doing what they want rather than listening to the fans.

Agreed. But then, I didn't dislike the character at religious levels.
Studios, caption your internet streams.

#16 of 1412 Jason_V

Jason_V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,430 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted August 27 2008 - 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray H
Some were awful.

Come on. We (the fans) never gave Paolo and Nikki a chance to be anything. We didn't like them, made our feelings known and they were killed off. Is that very fair?

Serialized shows do need to continue to introduce new characters, though, to keep the story from getting stale. Every successful series in history has done it. If we give the new people a chance, we might be surprised. Instead it's all instant gratification.

#17 of 1412 Arild

Arild

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted August 27 2008 - 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_V
Come on. We (the fans) never gave Paolo and Nikki a chance to be anything. We didn't like them, made our feelings known and they were killed off. Is that very fair?

Serialized shows do need to continue to introduce new characters, though, to keep the story from getting stale. Every successful series in history has done it. If we give the new people a chance, we might be surprised. Instead it's all instant gratification.
The problem was not the fact that they were new characters - LOST has introduced new characters and had fans embrace them many times. The problem was the way they were introduced. I know the idea was that they'd been there all along but we just never happened to see them, but it just didn't work and they stood out like a sore thumb next to everyone who really had been there all along.

#18 of 1412 Jason_V

Jason_V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,430 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted August 28 2008 - 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arild
The problem was not the fact that they were new characters - LOST has introduced new characters and had fans embrace them many times. The problem was the way they were introduced. I know the idea was that they'd been there all along but we just never happened to see them, but it just didn't work and they stood out like a sore thumb next to everyone who really had been there all along.

Personal opinion, obviously, but it wasn't Nikki and Paolo didn't work. It's that the audience never gave them a chance to work. The minute new faces appeared and took one or two lines from the vets, everyone started pissing and moaning. What would have happened if these two had been allowed to develop over the season and, presumably, into S4? We don't know.

Would it have been better if they were guest characters instead of regulars, like Rose and Bernard? Probably. Use them as a different perspective every once in a while, but that's not what Cuse and Lindelof chose to do. And really, for me it's one of the very few areas of the show where a mistake might have been made.

#19 of 1412 Arild

Arild

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted August 28 2008 - 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_V
Personal opinion, obviously, but it wasn't Nikki and Paolo didn't work. It's that the audience never gave them a chance to work. The minute new faces appeared and took one or two lines from the vets, everyone started pissing and moaning.
I think you're missing the point. The characters themselves weren't the problem. But the way they were introduced - having them suddenly be part of the group as if they'd been part of the cast all along - was just too jarring. It's like they were just forced into an established show and expected to be accepted already. I think that's why the audience didn't give them a chance.

Like I said, "new faces" have been successfully introduced to the cast each year. Some characters have become fan favorites (Ben, Desmond) so just being "the new guys" in itself is not neccessarily a bad thing.

#20 of 1412 Jason_V

Jason_V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,430 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted August 28 2008 - 03:43 AM

All I can said, Arild, is I didn't find either of them to be jarring. I liked both. And really liked "Expose." Posted Image

Back to TV Programming

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow