What's new

Casablanca: Ultimate Collector's Edition December 2nd (1 Viewer)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
$64.99?! Hopefully there's an option for just the discs at a reasonable price. I don't need the box of junk.

If not I'll be keeping my HD DVD.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Great news! New documentary and collectibles doesn´t sound bad at all. I guess I have to start selling these HD DVDs before it´s too late..

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I'll stick to my HD DVD, thanks. The Jack Warner documentary is not sufficient inducement for me to "upgrade" and, frankly, I'm not into the "props" and so on. For those who are into that, however, this seems like a great set. If I didn't have the HD DVD, though, and wanted just the discs in BD, I'd be disappointed (if the info is accurate--no word on just a disc release rather than the "fully loaded" model).

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
IIRC the other UCE ("Christmas Story") also included a 1-disc version without the geegaws, so there's at least a chance they will do the same here.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

You read and then 'spoke' my mind. :laugh:

I'd 'upgrade' to BD if either a standalone keepcase or digibook format version is announced for sure.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Wow that is definitely a comprehensive release!
I'd be very surprised if Warner didn't also release this in a non UCE version via their "book" format (ala "Bonny & Clyde").

If not... then if I can find it for around $40 (which should be doable given that time of the year) I'll be upgrading. Although I have to say this recent trend of including "props" and "collectibles" just isn't something that really interest me a great deal.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
That is funny. There is a 2005 documentary about Lew Wasserman called The Last Mogul which is actually a bit more accurate.

Doug

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Hmmm. I've been awaiting this announcement, but for that price tag, I think I'll just wait either for it to come down or a blu-ray only release.

Also, is that Jack Warner documentary all that relevant here? From some of the behind the scenes accounts, I've gathered that the movie was more Hall Wallis' show and Warner wasn't very active in the production of the movie.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I already have the HD-DVD too. I'll eventually get this when I can pick up just the discs without the collectibles. I'm sure the encode will be the same anyway.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I was going to jump on you guys for calling it a box of junk then i saw the "junk"

"and will include collectibles such as reproductions of executive memos and props**, a branded passport holder, luggage tag, photo book and mail-in offer for a movie poster.

** 1) Memo from Hal Wallis that “Casablanca” is the new title 2) Memo from Wallis to Jack Warner strongly urging casting of Bogart over George Raft 3) Letter from Publicity head Charles Einfeld to publicist Marty Weiser to “sell” Bogart as a romantic lead 4) Victor Laszlo’s “letter of transit."

pretty blah.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I actually find the idea of reproductions of production memos much more interesting than toy robots or toy flying cars, but I don't think I'll pay THAT much more for them.

A set of lobby cards would be cool.

Doug

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I will say that calling it "junk" was harsh on my part because what will be there will probably be nice but it's of no interest to me. I hope they do the same thing they did with Blade Runner and have the box set for the super fan and the regular release for the fan.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Well, you know what they say? One man's junk is another man's treasure. ;)

I don't mind if Warner Bros. offers all this 'junk' as long as give me a choice to buy the movie without. As far as I'm concerned, they're already pushing it with their digibooks, which effectively raises the price-point $4. I appreciate the extra content in the book, but I'd appreciate the choice to forgo it and save $4 more. Offering a movie exclusively via an Ultimate Collector's Edition of some kind, even for a short period of time, has always just rubbed me the wrong way.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
So this is not a "book" release (as well as all the other junk)?
Thanks.

How's the "book" format going?
Is there a lot of titles announced in this form?
I only got 2.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Thus far these titles have been released or announced in Digibook packaging:

Bonnie and Clyde
Dirty Harry
How The West Was Won
JFK
Natural Born Killers
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Poltergeist

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks