What's new

Building my first HT (excited and nervous!) (1 Viewer)

Mike.P

Second Unit
So, now that I've got my first real job since leaving college a year ago and a steady income, I've decided to kick the $250 Onkyo HTIB to the curb and upgrade to a decent starter system. I'm really only looking for 5.1 right now since my room is small (looking to move into a townhome in the next 1.5-2 years and these will be coming then).

So far, here is what I've purchased:

Onkyo TX-SR606 (checked out one in store for heat and humming, didn't notice much of a difference between this and my current receiver).
2x Polk R50s for my L and R speakers
1x Polk CSi25
100' 16 AWP Speaker Wire

Currently, I'm having trouble finding either Polk's R15's in Cherry, or the R150's in cherry as I'd like either of those for my surrounds. Worst case scenario, I pick up the R150's in black and that completes the setup for speakers and

For my subwoofer, I'm completely stumped. I'd like to get the SVS 20-39 PCi, but is that going to overpower the rest of my setup?

Do I need to look into things like pre-amps? Other equipment to help keep things powered smoothly? Primary use is movie watching with Blu-Ray, Sports and Video Gaming. The room is approx. 18'x18' where this is.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That is a decent sized room for a single 12" sub. Is it open to other rooms? Do you listen at or close to reference levels? Do you watch action movies? All of this can push a sub to its limits.

-Robert

Mike.P

Second Unit

Thanks for your help, Robert - It's not open to any other rooms, and I try to listen close to reference levels and I do watch a wide variety of movies, mostly action, comedy, and drama (So I guess...everything?)

htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

The SR-606 came today, my CSi25 comes tomorrow...Still need some rears as the crappy HTIB onkyo's at the rear right now aren't cutting it.

Also don't have a sub hooked up, but I'm not ordering the PB 20-39 until next week.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sounds like a nice setup. With calibration via the receiver's auto mode (if it has it) or a calibration DVD and SPL meter, you will be well on your way to a great experience. Even if your receiver will auto calibrate, I still recommend checking it with a meter and disc. Also, the disc usually has video calibration screens as well. I use it on my systems as well as friend's and family.

-Robert

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike: I haven't seen R15s or R150s in cherry for sale in quite awhile. You should be able to find a really good deal on the 150s in black. Keep checking frys.com. They are currently sold out...but get them in stock frequently.

I'e got R30s for my fronts, R15s for my rears with a Polk CSi25 for a center. I've got a Panny BD-10 feeding a Sony STRDE-445 via either coaxial or analog 5.1s. I'm pleased with it and will consider upgrading when I pay off my kid's college education! :D It never ends!

BTW, for my sub I purchased a used Sony SA-WM40 from another member of this board. I am aching to upgrade the sub someday...but, again, am content until then.

Good luck with your new system! :D

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The 606 has calibration, but you'll have to adjust it a bit once it's done. It will set the speakers to "Large" and they should be changed to "Small". It will also probably set the crossover too low. Bump it up couple notches, or more. there is an extensive thread in the Receivers section on this with info from Audyssey. Just do a search.

The SVS will definitely strain to achieve reference in that size room, but it won't melt down. The 25-31 may actually be a better choice. Slightly higher tuning, but may handle the levels better. Robert would know that better then me. You really need a Plus/2 or Ultra to do what you want, but the cylinder also won't disappoint.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The higher tuned subs trade extension (low bass) for volume (SPL). For example, the 16-46 is tuned almost an octave lower than the 25-31. To play that lower octave, the driver's excursion is 4 times that of the higher tuned sub. With the PC subs, you are looking at an estimated 16mm to 18mm of linear, one-way excursion. The Plus subs should be 24mm to 30mm of one-way excursion. Based on that, the Plus series can handle the low end while still providing SPL.

The Ultra series is a little different. The larger driver will move more air but it does it at the expense of massive excursion. It is an underhung driver desiged for sound quality. Based on the looks of the magnet structure in the pictures, it probably has 26 to 30mm of excursion.

-Robert

Mike.P

Second Unit
Haha, funny that I was just coming here to post and you happened to bump it for me Mike...

I purchased the PCi 20-39 today (much to my wallet's crying for mercy). I cannot wait til this bad boy comes! I was also looking at other options, and I really was strongly considering the Epik Knight, but it was 150 to ship it alone which made the PCi 20-39 a bit easier to swallow.

I got everything hooked up, ran the Automatic test, changed a few things (turned off the Audessey EQ as it was causing hissing, arranged the distance from speaker to couch a little better). I just left the crossover stuff where it is because I honestly have no clue where it is supposed to be with my current set-up, not to mention I'll need to re-run the tests once the PCi 20-39 comes.

My next question is - what cable(s) do I need to hook this up to my SR606?

Oh, and Mike, the system is so crisp and clear, even with total crap for rears (Onkyo HTIB speakers). I'm trying to hold out for a deal on some R15s or the R150's (100 for a pair on amazon. Not bad, but I can do better I think).

I'm thrilled thusfar, but I've really just done a few test scenes as I've been waffling on whether or not I wanted to buy a $500+ sub, or get a $100 sub to hold me over. Hence why I hadn't posted here

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Decisions...decisions... :laugh:

We're not very good at decisions at my house sometimes either!

Obviously now you need to report back when the PCi 20-39 hits the door!
I always enjoy living vicariously through others! :D

Mike.P

Second Unit
My cylinder came today.

Oh my god, it's gigantic. I'm not even hooking it up until my audio buddy can come do it since I have no faith in my cabling of a $600 sub, but just looking at it until then is getting me giddy.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I know that statement is relative but even SVS subs are limited in size because of shipping. With DIY subs, you aren't limited by shipping rules. Just by the size of the opening to your theater (unless you build it in there) and how much weight you and your friends can lift. Here are some "larger" subs.

-Robert

A DIY cylinder sub beside an SVS Ultra:

A DIY box sub. Yes, that is a couch on the right side of the picture:

The largest cylinder subs I have ever seen:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks