-

Photo
- - - - -

Surge protector/suppressor for open ground.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   ChuckM

ChuckM

Stunt Coordinator

• 132 posts

Posted August 09 2008 - 07:10 AM

Is there any type surge protector that doesn't require a ground wire from the receptacle. My home is an older one and I'm kind hoping I can find another solution other then paying $2000-$5000 for an electrician The biggest threat to my devices is lightning storms.

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   MustangChris04

MustangChris04

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted August 09 2008 - 01:37 PM

You may be able to go to best buy and pick up a battery backup supply. Many of them will be able to ground the electronics. Then go to homedepot and pick up a GFCI outlet to replace it with your 2 prong outlet. While you will have the 3rd prong available, it wont be a functional ground but I believe the GFCI unit will still trip if its overloaded and with a battery backup its even safter because it maintains a constant voltage.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Kevin. W

Kevin. W

Screenwriter

• 1,546 posts

Posted August 10 2008 - 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangChris04
You may be able to go to best buy and pick up a battery backup supply. Many of them will be able to ground the electronics. Then go to homedepot and pick up a GFCI outlet to replace it with your 2 prong outlet. While you will have the 3rd prong available, it wont be a functional ground but I believe the GFCI unit will still trip if its overloaded and with a battery backup its even safter because it maintains a constant voltage.

But with a battery backup wouldn't you have to get a large one to cover the power draw of a HT? Also what about the ability of a battery backup to offer a true sine wave? I also second replacing your outlet with a GFCI.