What's new

WHOOPEE!, GOLDWYN FOLLIES, KID MILLIONS (1 Viewer)

Charles H

Screenwriter
DVD Empire has a listing of a HOLLYWOOD MUSICALS COLLECTION on 11/11 that consists of 61 motley titles from Fox (THE DOLLY SISTERS, CALL ME MADAM, CARMEN JONES, LOVE ME TENDER), AIP (BEACH BLANKET BINGO), MGM/UA (A CHORUS LINE, FUNNY THING HAPPENED, BELLE OF THE YUKON, CLAMBAKE) but most interestingly, Goldwyn (HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN, WHOOPEE!, THE GOLDWYN FOLLIES, and KID MILLIONS). The asking price is $395. KID MILLIONS was pulled from release a week before shipping so this means that the Goldwyn titles--and perhaps others like A SONG IS BORN, KID FROM SPAIN, WURTHERING HEIGHTS, THESE THREE, THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY, HURRICANE do actually exist and might be forthcoming individually. Look at the belated release of THE WESTERNER this summer. The price of this set is $395 but I am certain that Fox will be releasing these new titles seperately, and in time for Christmas.

GeorgeJA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George Agnos
Yeah, I can't imagine that they would make this an all-or-nothing affair, especially at that price.

It is good to see an Eddie Cantor film come out. I'm not familiar with his work but I taped KID FROM SPAIN a while ago and thought it was a blast, so I would definitely like to see more of his work.

George

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Well-spotted, Charles!

Any Eddie Cantor release is certainly cause for celebration.

I hope this means the missing Goldwyn titles (and the many that didn't even make it to laserdisc) eventually find their way to a release.

ColbyCo82

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Exciting to see Whoopee! on this list...but I dont think im going to shell out 400 bucks for 2 Eddie Cantor films. I was kind of hoping for an Eddie Cantor collection with all his Goldwyn films remastered. The copies I have on VHS and have seen on TCm look rather dupey (At least for The Kid From Spain, Roman Scandals, and Strike Me Pink). I am hoping better sources exist somewhere

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
If you can find them, the prints used for the laserdiscs are excellent.

Although I doubt it will ever happen, I wish Fox would release Cantor's Ali Baba Goes to Town as it has never had an official release on any home video format.

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder if anyone has seen these three titles from this collection, yet.

I'm particularly interested in "Kid Millions".

Perhaps some ebay seller will break up the collection and sell individual titles.

DG

Charles H

Screenwriter
Classicflix has just announced that MGM is releasing A SONG IS BORN (1948), THE GOLDWYN FOLLIES (1938), and IT'S A PLEASURE !(1945) on April 7. The latter is the first Sonia Henie film to be released on dvd....unless this cues Fox to release her remaining films on the same date.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot

Wonderful!!!! More musicals in April...they are always timed for my birthday it seems.......;) :D :laugh:

What excellent news!!!

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
The artwork is up here for A Song Is Born, The Goldwyn Follies and It's a Pleasure
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
Great news! All I can say is it is about time we got some more Danny Kaye and Sonia Henie on DVD!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks