What's new

2008 Summer Olympics - Beijing, China (1 Viewer)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I don't know about anyone else here, but I am so excited that the Olympics has started. This is when I am glued to the TV more so than usual, and watch sports that I don't normally watch. I've been a huge fan since the 2000 Games in Sydney, and was a casual fan before that (starting with 1988 in Seoul).

Programming note: Coverage of the opening ceremony starts at 7:30 EST, a half-hour earlier than usual.

I always love the opening montages that NBC has done in the last few Olympics. Their coverage after that, is a whole another story.

But for now... Let the Games begin! :D

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
Oh my God!!! That was the most intense 10 minute opening i have ever seen. And it ain't over yet!

tyler

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the torch lighting was just aout the craziest thing have ever seen.

when that guy first started around the stadium the wire switched or moved and it scared the stuff outta me.

aftr that it was just completely awe all the way around the stadium.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
The torch thing was neat, but not as cool as when it was lit by an archer or when Muhammad Ali was carrying it in the stadium. I wonder if the guy had some glue on his hand to keep from dropping it while hanging from the wires- he had to hold it a long time.

I'm curious why some places which are not countries have their own Olympic teams, such as Guam, Puerto Rico, American Samoa... also curious why a team is called Great Britain rather than the UK, which I thought was the official name of the country.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i disagree on the archer thing.
that was about 3 seconds and it waa pretty obvious the arrow just went over the torch and didnt actually light the torch.
this guy was on a wire holding him above the rim of the stadium for the entire inside circumference of the building.

to each his own.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I watched part of the opening ceremonies on CBC tonight (a repeat of the morning's live broadcast). I missed the beginning, but that's not too serious as the ceremonies run for so long that my mind usually starts to drift in another dimension halfway through.

On top of coverage on CBC, Bold and TSN, the CBC's Olympic Web site also offers eleven channels of live streaming video, most without any commentary whatsoever.
That's how I saw China win the gold in women's weightlifting, 48 kg class. How a woman weighing less than 48 kg can successfully lift 117 kg is beyond my comprehension!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps Olympians from Northern Ireland compete with the Irish team instead?

Astonishing opening ceremony. Although that was on a tape delay, it looks like NBC is airing a greater number of events live this time around. USA women's basketball is on MSNBC live right now.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Great opening ceremonies, from the countdown with the drums to the lighting of the cauldron. Just unbelievable.

I am about to start watching some of the events.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
I read all the hype on the opening ceremonies and man did it deliver. Excellent show. Now to watch the hours set to Tivo.

Marianne

Supporting Actor

Some athletes from Northern Ireland compete for Ireland and some for Great Britain. Great Britain consists of England, Scotland and Wales. The United Kingdom is England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. So, if they had called the team United Kingdom it would automatically include all athletes from Northern Ireland.

The full name for the UK is United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I DVRed the opening ceremony, looking forward to watching it later. I did catch the tail end of the parade of nations, and the lighting of the torch. Some amazing stuff, I knew China would deliver, but there they just blew my mind.

It's gonna be a fun two weeks.

--
H

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm not actively watching the Olympics this year but I figured I'd be able to catch interesting spots on Hulu. Nothing there. Checked NBC's website and find they have video online but require some new video plug-in to watch, which I'm not inclined to use.

Oh well. Maybe they'll show up on YouTube in a few days.

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Beautiful opening ceremony. We were sad to miss a trip to Beijing a couple of years ago due to an illness but watching the Olympic coverage in gorgeous hi-def helps to make up for it.

During the parade of athletes my wife and I became anxious for the competition to start so we voted on the ugliest team outfits. Cuba got our votes although the competition was close from a couple of other countries.

Also, I can't remember their name but the small country with the lampshade hats got our vote as most likely to be the life of the party.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Amazing work. My mother is quite proud of her native country. I don't have quite the connection she does, but I admit I got a little misty with the torch piece. That may be because it was being carried by Li Ning, who was a big part of the first Olympics I ever experienced (albeit on TV). My dad's name is Ning also, so a running joke in our family has now been resurrected!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
it was replayed last night at 2:29 am on nbc. Universal hd has replayed it in the past.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

It was an amazing ceremony but Costas said the thing cost 300 MILLION dollars to produce. If this were any other country the organizers would have been kicked out of the country for being fiscally irresponsible, especially if it were on the taxpayers' dime.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I knew Zhang Yimou has put some of the most breathtaking visuals ever on film, but wow, I was really impressed with what he was able to do live.

~T

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Wow, I didn't know that Zhang Yimou was directing. No wonder it was the best OC ever. Simply amazing. This will be the first OC that I go back and re-watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks