Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

MGM Press Release: The Amityville Horror & Carrie (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,897 posts

Posted August 08 2008 - 06:49 AM

THE ORIGINAL INFAMOUS SCREAM QUEEN AND
A NOTORIOUS HAUNTED HOUSE REEP MAYHEM IN HIGH-DEF

CARRIE &
THE AMITYVILLE HORROR

The Horrifying Classics Debut On Blu-ray Disc October 7th
>From MGM Home Entertainment

LOS ANGELES, CA – Just in time for a Halloween fright night, MGM Home Entertainment unleashes two bone-chilling horror classics on Blu-ray Disc (BD) October 7.

Based on Stephen King’s first published novel and directed by Brian DePalma (The Black Dahlia), CARRIE (1976) is a pulse-pounding thriller starring Sissy Spacek (In the Bedroom) and Piper Laurie (Twin Peaks) in their Oscar®-nominated performances. Carrie White (Spacek) is a teenage outcast, who upon learning she has telekinesis, seeks revenge on her high-school classmates and wreaks havoc during prom. CARRIE BD will be available for the suggested retail price of $39.98 U.S./$49.98 Canada, prebook is September 10.

Revisit one of the most infamous haunted house stories of all time with the horrifying BD release of THE AMITYVILLE HORROR (1979) starring James Brolin (Catch Me If You Can), Margot Kidder (Superman) and Oscar® winner* Rod Steiger (In The Heat Of The Night). From the best-selling novel by Jay Anson, Brolin and Kidder play George and Kathy Lutz, a couple who discover that their new Long Island dream home is possessed by demonic spirits. As walls begin to drip blood and satanic forces threaten to destroy them, the Lutz family must try to escape with their lives before it is too late. THE AMITYVILLE HORROR BD will be available for the suggested retail price of $39.98 U.S./$49.98 Canada, prebook is September 10.

THE AMITYVILLE HORROR (1979) BD will be presented on 25GB disc in widescreen (1.85:1 aspect ratio) with English 5.1 Dolby Surround Audio plus English, Spanish and French subtitles.

CARRIE (1976) BD will be presented will be presented on 25GB disc in in widescreen (1.85:1 aspect ratio) with English 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio plus English, Spanish and French subtitles.

The Amityville Horror (1979)
BD Price: $39.98 U.S./$49.98 Canada
Pre-book Date: September 10, 2008
Street Date: October 7, 2008
Rating: R
Catalog Number: M109209
Runtime: 117 mins.
Screen Format: Widescreen
Audio Features: 5.1 English, Spanish and French Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, Spanish, French
Closed Captioned: Yes

Carrie (1976)
Pre-book Date: September 10, 2008
Street Date: October 7, 2008
Catalog Number: M112348
Runtime: 98 mins.
Screen Format: Widescreen
Audio Features: English 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio, French 5.1 Dolby Digital
Subtitles: English, Spanish, French
Closed Captioned: Yes

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 19 Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted August 08 2008 - 06:55 AM

Fox is out of their ever-lovin' minds if they think they're gonna leave off all the SD DVD's extras for CARRIE and try to sell it for $40; please tell me this is just another one of those half-assed press releases...
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#3 of 19 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,009 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 08 2008 - 07:27 AM

Can't MGM just die already so a real studio can inherit their catalog and treat it with the respect it deserves? If any more featureless BDs of movies I bought on DVD with oodles of extras for $10, they will be out of business in the next five years.

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#4 of 19 Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,074 posts

Posted August 08 2008 - 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewA
Can't MGM just die already so a real studio can inherit their catalog and treat it with the respect it deserves? If any more featureless BDs of movies I bought on DVD with oodles of extras for $10, they will be out of business in the next five years.

Don't blame MGM. Blame Fox, who's in control of their home-video catalog.

#5 of 19 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,009 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 08 2008 - 10:03 AM

But Fox is now starting to put extras on their non-MGM BD titles. Does Fox have any input regarding MGM's output?

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#6 of 19 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted August 09 2008 - 02:57 AM

Too bad about Carrie. I thought MGM turned a corner with the upcoming Bond releases (loaded extras and lower MSRP).

I guess not.
Death before Streaming!

#7 of 19 MattFini

MattFini

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted August 09 2008 - 03:01 AM

I was excited to get these releases and never stopped to think that the extras wouldn't be included.

But they're not and I certainly won't purchase either title.

Fox/MGM really need to wake up on this issue. I did buy their RoboCop Blu-Ray during one of the bogos, but I will not be purchasing any of their barebones titles from here on out. Not when the SD counterparts have some solid extra features.
Universal, please release Streets of Fire on Blu-ray.

#8 of 19 Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,030 posts

Posted October 10 2008 - 05:52 AM

Just picked up Amityville Horror today and can not wait to view and see how the video looks. And I am not sure how much anyone else has picked up this title up for, but I picked it up for $9.99. Is that a good price? I picked it up because it was stickered at $9.99 and it ended up ringing up at $29.99 at the register. But they ended up refunding me the difference as soon as I brought up the difference in price, I am willing to bet that the tag was wrong and they got out there after I left and updated the price tag.
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#9 of 19 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,068 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted October 10 2008 - 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewA
But Fox is now starting to put extras on their non-MGM BD titles. Does Fox have any input regarding MGM's output?
No. MGM is autonomous. Fox simply distributes.

Though, from the look of Bond and Spinal Tap, MGM has gotten the message.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#10 of 19 Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted October 10 2008 - 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz
Just picked up Amityville Horror today and can not wait to view and see how the video looks. And I am not sure how much anyone else has picked up this title up for, but I picked it up for $9.99. Is that a good price? I picked it up because it was stickered at $9.99 and it ended up ringing up at $29.99 at the register. But they ended up refunding me the difference as soon as I brought up the difference in price, I am willing to bet that the tag was wrong and they got out there after I left and updated the price tag.

Sounds indeed like a misprice. Let us know how it looks!

Posted Image

#11 of 19 Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,030 posts

Posted October 10 2008 - 11:45 AM

I watched part of the movie today after watching The Gauntlet and just was not in the mood to finish off Amityville today. I think I saw enough of the movie to say it is a good transfer, while not a reference transfer all in all a good transfer. I have never seen this title look so good in my life and the sound was decent. I figure that is because of the fact that it is an older movie and the sound just was not one of those top notch tracks. The DTS-HD MA track does the trick as it should and I can not find any fault with the audio format. I have heard some really rock solid DTS-HD MA tracks and I would not put this up there with the best ones. I also had the volume down lower than I usually do, so I am going to see if durring my next viewing my opinion does not change any?

Let me give a little back ground on my HT first. I own a Sony 50" LCD HDTV that is a native 720p TV that accepts 1080i input via component and HDMI. I also own an HD-DVD & Blu-ray player for my HD content. For the audio I run it via analog 5.1 cables & optical cable to my older Yamaha RX-V995 receiver. Hopefully next year I will be replacing it with a Denon AVR-3808ci that will be upgraded to Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ.

Anyway I found Amityville to look very good for the time period that it was filmed in. There are scenes in this movie that do look really good and dark scenes have good detail to them. Color balance is good and from what I have seen it is a solid transfer from well lit scenes to dark ones. I am also fighting off a cold so when I am feeling 100% I am going to rewatch this title from beginning to end.

This is the first time I have owned this title but I have seen it on a number of formats from VHS, Laserdisc and satellite tv. IMHO this is worth a purchase especially if you grew up with this movie. Sorry I kinda suck at doing any kind of write ups. Posted Image I will however let you know what I think once I feel better and rewatch Amityville from begining to end.

Quote:
Sounds indeed like a misprice. Let us know how it looks!

That is what I was thinking and I am glad they didn't try to tell me if I want it I have to pay what the register says. They just took me to customer service and did the paperwork and refunded me the difference with no fuss. Posted Image So I really love this title at $9.99, bet the price on the remaining stock was fixed pronto.

Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#12 of 19 Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted October 11 2008 - 03:16 AM

I hope your $9.99 pick up is the only copy of this that sells in the world. Barebones HD releases when there are Special Edition SD counterparts should not be rewarded whatsoever.
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...

#13 of 19 Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 974 posts

Posted October 11 2008 - 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Brashear
I hope your $9.99 pick up is the only copy of this that sells in the world. Barebones HD releases when there are Special Edition SD counterparts should not be rewarded whatsoever.

Couldn't agree more. I would have definitely been in the market for this if they had offered all the material already existing.

Same thing with Robocop - I love that movie and have bought it several times over the years, but I just can't bring myself to buy that crappy barebones blu.

#14 of 19 Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,030 posts

Posted October 11 2008 - 10:18 AM

I do not blame ether one of you for feeling that way. But for myself I only care about the movie so the extras are not important to me. I realize that does not help everyone else that wants to see extras included on all Blu-ray releases. But my main concern is that the Blu-ray title have a good video transfer and really good lossless audio.

Besides I couldn't pass it up for $9.99 on Blu-ray. Posted Image I would have rather picked up the Blu-ray than picked it up on SD-DVD. Posted Image

#15 of 19 Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 974 posts

Posted October 11 2008 - 12:23 PM

Dave, if I were you, I couldn't pass these up for $9.99 either! Posted Image

I didn't make the point earlier, but its not just Carrie or Robo losing the existing extras, but being saddled with a $40 retail for a 30-year-old catalog title. The resulting package is almost a seminar in how NOT to sell blu-ray!

#16 of 19 Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,030 posts

Posted October 14 2008 - 03:29 AM

After I have now had the chance to sit down and watch this title after being sick for about a week. Posted Image

Here are my thoughts on Amityville Horror.

The Amityville Horror (1979)
Runtime: 117 mins.
Screen Format: Widescreen (2.35:1 aspect ratio)
Video: AVC @ 17MBPS
Audio: DTS Core, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital
Disc: 25GB Single Layer

Video:
Note: I am watching this on a Sony KDF-E50A10 50" HDTV which has a native resolution of 720p, but will accept 1080i input via component or hdmi. I run hdmi straight from the Sony BDP-S300 as my Yamaha RX-V995 does not have hdmi connections.

While Amityville is not one of the best looking eye poping blu-ray titles to come out. I find the transfer to be good with very good color reproduction and good detail in dark scences. The color is well ballanced but in some breif moments the picture does a little soft but overall solid. IMHO the film looks good considering the time period it was filmed in. I did not see any evidence of color bleeding and flesh tones where natural looking. Dark scences had a decent amount of detail to them, overall the movie looked good.

Audio:
At this time I am only able to listen to the DTS core from the DTS-HD Master Audio track. The Sony BDP-S300 is hooked up to the Yamaha 995 via 5.1 analog audio cables for PCM & Dolby True HD tracks. The remaining tracks (DTS-HD MA-Core, DTS and Dolby Digital), are transfered to the 995 via optical digital cable. This will change once I purchase my Denon AVR-3808ci. Posted Image

Well after watching movies like Pale Rider, Dirty Harry and Full Metal Jacket on Blu-ray. I found that the audio presentation on Amityville Horror was not very good. Even the DTS-HD MA could not help this audio track. I find fault with the original recording and not DTS-HD MA. For example scences where there is shouting, it sounds distorted and gun shots sound thin and flat. The background music sounds good and there was some decent bass in a few parts of the movie. Overall I was disapointed in the audio presentation and was hoping for a better audio track. Granted I never thought this would ever come close to titles like Batman Begins, X-Men 3, Pirates Of The Caribbean or Transformers. But even though I found the audio lacking I still enjoyed the movie.

Final Thoughts:
While Amityville Horror may not be one of the most
scariest movies ever made especially not by todays standards. The movie is one of my guilty pleasures that I still like to watch from time to time. Amityville is a simple story of a house that has a demonic pressence and built on cursed land. I find the story to be good and the acting to be decent as well. IMHO they really did not push the envelope with this movie but I don't really feel they needed to do so. I am not sure I would pay $30 for this title especially since it is an older movie and not a new blockbuster title. I would recomend it if you can get a good deal on it. For many how ever this may be a no purchase as there are no extras on this disc. The Amityville Horror is a bare bones no extras release that will most likely be purchased by those of us who grew up with the film.

Video: 3.5 out of 5
Audio: 3 out of 5

Writting reviews is not an easy thing, hope I can learn how to do this better. Posted Image

#17 of 19 ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted October 14 2008 - 06:36 AM

I first saw the Amityville Horror at the drive-in at age 4 (give or take a few months.) It is still one of the scariest movies I have ever seen and I've been fascinated with the story ever since. It's not so much what is shown on-screen as the feeling it leaves you with.

#18 of 19 Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted October 14 2008 - 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottR
It's not so much what is shown on-screen as the feeling it leaves you with.

The feeling that someone just stole $8 out of my wallet and won't give it back? Posted Image

#19 of 19 ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted October 14 2008 - 10:10 AM

lol...well, it remains a movie-going milestone in my life. We were shocked. There aren't too many haunted house movies where the house is real (regardless of what you think of the "truth.")

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow