What's new

Blu Ray rumors about The Dark Knight release (1 Viewer)

Derek Faber

Stunt Coordinator
I just want the movie. I will watch endlessly for days. Amazing film. I haven't been this blown away by a film since I watched Once Upon a Time in the West, on video, for the first time.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I just read an article where Nolan says he plans (for BD, no word on SD DVD) to have the IMAX footage "fill the screen" of 16x9 displays, so expect the BD to offer changing aspect ratios like the IMAX presentation (it won't be exact, as I believe IMAX is 1.66:1 but it should be pretty close).:emoji_thumbsup:

Those with CIH setups, though, may not be happy with this "feature". I, however, look forward to reliving (albeit on a much smaller scale) the IMAX presentation.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Its a safe bet that it will be because I'm sure it is 'all part of the plan'. ;)

On a semi-related note, was a change in aspect ratio not possible with DVD? One other changing aspect ratio movie I'd really like to see get a BD release is Galaxy Quest. The DVD release is pretty abysmal. Maybe Dreamworks will release it when Star Trek IX is released theatrically or to home video.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
The article didn't say it wasn't possible. Nolan was simply pointing out that BD will allow the detail of the IMAX footage to shine sufficiently to warrant such a decision. Perhaps the difference would not be striking enough on the SD DVD. Who knows?

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason

You can bet your bottom dollar this will be released during the holiday shopping season. :D

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy

I would think that those with CIH setups would just realize that they are duplicating the how the film appeared in 2.35:1 theaters. I have watched the dark knight prologue on BR cropped on a 2.35:1 screen. It looks fine, and probably duplicates that general release appearance. I would guess that Nolan framed the IMAX scenes with a 2.35:1 crop in mind.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Wonder if we'll see this before X-mas, I plan on a blind buy like with Begins.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Native 15-perf IMAX is more like 1.33:1. I don't know if any matting was applied to the IMAX sequences in The Dark Knight or not, though.

Regards,

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Do we know if Heath Ledger contributed to a possible audio commentary for the upcoming release on BR or DVD ?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

This assumes that they didn't alter the top line of the cropped version from shot to shot. They MAY have used a common top line, but that line would likely have been near the top of the Imax frame. Just cropping it to the center of a 2.35:1 CIH might cut off the tops of heads from time to time, or miss important information at the bottom of the frame.

Its likely that they panned up and down on the Imax frame for the 2:35:1 version to keep important info in the frame.

Doug

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I believe that is the physical size of the film frame, but that projector apertures are slightly narrower. In any case, in Michigan, we have IMAX screens in Dearborn, Lansing, and Grand Rapids that are 1.33:1, 1.4:1, and 1.6:1, so I guess it varies.

Regards,

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Well, that ratio makes sense with what I saw last night (early this morning), but it is less exciting with regards to the plan by Nolan. I guess one can ONLY see the IMAX changing aspect ratio version at the IMAX cinemas (though I suppose extremely anal fans can make an IMAX ratio screen and take it out just for titles like this--I could actually do that in the other room in the basement, but I'd lose the great sound).

Maybe a windowboxed version that...nah, nevermind. However it comes out, it will look great, I'll wager. Now if only I could replicate the IMAX subwoofer in my basement.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Could very well be. It surely has enough real estate to play with aspect ratio wise. And you sit so close to the screen in an Imax theater that you probably couldn't tell the difference between 1.33 and even 1.85 unless you measured it, or ran a test film with frame lines on it.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks