What's new

On-Line Multiplayer Question (1 Viewer)

wally

Second Unit
I'm new to console gaming and never thought I'd like the "shoot/carve 'em ups" till I received Assassin's Creed (PS3) for my birthday. I've just finished that and I'm kind of hooked. I purchased Call of Duty 4 and was wondering if it would be a waste of time after I finish that one to explore the on-line world.

Is there any patience for newbees like me or even better newbee groups?

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Definately go multiplayer with CoD4. I've got it on the 360, and it's so addicting, I haven't gotten around to doing the single-player campaign.

I don't think you'll have any problem with regard to being new to CoD4 online.

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
My only problem with COD4 is that the better you get, the better weapons you have. So a newb is going to have the crappiest weapons, which makes it very unfair. At least with Halo everyone starts the game with the same weapon.

However, like Bryan said I'm totally hooked, and COD4 is all I play now. At first I stunk it up, and most of it is learning the maps and how the game works. However it didn't take too long for me to get really good at it. I've had it for a month or so and I'm ready to go through prestige mode again (it's where you get to level 55 and start over).

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
You're right, you start off with minimal weapons. But you do level up pretty fast. And frankly, the M16 you start with is one of the better weapons. The only thing I really miss when I start over on a new prestige and lose everything is the claymores. Which you get back at level 23, I think.

Right now I'm at about level 30 of my 8th prestige.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I started CoD4 (PS3) in "online" (together with "Warhawk", it was my first online-experience in years) and while I liked it very much, it was the "one player" story-mode that really made me respect the game. IMO, online-games kinda come and go (yes, some will probably stay several years, like "Halo 3" etc), but IMO it´s always better to play the story-mode first. In any case, CoD4 is an excellent game. Haven´t tried MGS4 online yet (and I haven´t even tried Halo3 and Gears Of War in online).

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith

8th prestige? Dude you need to get a life
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I rarely ever go online with my PC games (my PS3 is not connected to the internet), usually because I get my a**kicked by 11-year-olds. I went online with Unreal Tournament 3 last week and got my head handed to me for the most part (I'm not very "agile," and I can't do "rocket jumps" and stuff like that). I DID play on one server where I completely dominated (go figure), which probably means my opponents were less-coordinated than I am.

I tried Team Fortress 2 a while back, and while I did kinda like it for a while, I just can't get the hang of "squad-based" and "job-based" games.

I played Diablo 2 online a few years back, because the cool thing was that you could export your existing character from the "offline" game and play online with all the experience gained beforehand. I stopped only because I was tired of doing most of the monster-slaying while the rest of my "party" would steal all the dropped loot.

This is why I tend to prefer offline RPGs (Oblivion RULES).

wally

Second Unit
Thanks for the replies everyone. Another question, I've never gone online with the PS3 for gaming, will I be playing other PS3ers or are the servers set up to accept CoD4 players regardless of platform?

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

Yeah, I know. But really it's not as bad as it seems. We've had the game since the beginning of the year and my son (13 years) and I have both been playing the same profile. Right now I just want to get to level 55 on the 10th Prestige in the next month or so. With Call of Duty 5 coming out in November (I think) I want to have time to enjoy all the weapons and perks at level 55 before I start playing CoD5. Right now as soon as we get to level 55 we just prestige so we lose it all.

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith

haha well that makes sense now. i can do my third prestige but like you i wanna enjoy the weapons for a little bit. plus i want to see if i can complete all the challenges, which gives me something to work for.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Metal Gear Online (it's part of MGS4) is pretty cool because it's MGS except played online. The one real drawback is that, from my experience, it's focused more on typical shooting than clever tactics. It's more CoD and less MGS. It also seems to be a way for Konami to just milk more money out of you, since you need to pay for any additional accounts beyond the first one and there are updates that allow for more playable characters and other little things.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
On my 2nd Prestige on COD4 but I recently picked up Bad Company for 360. The single player is quite amusing but the multiplayer is awesome. Its like COD4 but with vehicles. Others may be detered by the vehicles as an unfair advantage but it seems all thought out and plays out incredibly real.
On another note, I think the sounds of the weaponry, tanks are better rendered on BC...not to mention the off hand remarks premade.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
I have played through COD4 only twice but I have put many, many hours on that game playing online.

wally

Second Unit
Thanks to the reassurance gained here, I’ve made the dive into on-line play several times. Although I left every time utterly humiliated, I did enjoy it
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
. Back to Arcade Mode to for more “work outs”.

Michael G Jones

Stunt Coordinator
On-line play is lots of fun. I remember Lan parties at lunch hour at my old job, Half Life & Duke Nukem. It's been a couple years since going online and I am planning on getting a ps3 in the next couple months and look forward to going on line.
Is the PSN similar to Live except free?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
PSN is basically the same as Live, except free. That said, Live has been around longer and may be more fine-tuned. Frankly, I'm not big on the PSN Store or the XBL Store designs. Not sure how they could improve on them, but I do like the Wii's VC Store.

Michael G Jones

Stunt Coordinator
do your game stats get stored/recorded/ranked like on xblive? do you have one name that carries across all titles?

Michael G Jones

Stunt Coordinator
do your game stats get stored/recorded/ranked like on xblive? do you have one name that carries across all titles?

wally

Second Unit
Not sure about the scores being recorded, but I believe that the name you log on as when the PS3 boots up is the name you "play" under, regardless of game.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks