Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Boomerang Not Being Released After All

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 ONLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted August 07 2008 - 01:29 AM

I received the following e-mail from DVD Empire concerning the Fox Noir film "Boomerang"

We have been informed by our distributors that the item 'Boomerang' is no
longer available and will not be available at any time in the future.

#2 of 34 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted August 07 2008 - 01:42 AM

GRRRR!

Surely this has got something to do with the Kazan estate. East of Eden was tied up for a few years as well. Or maybe it is the estate of the guy who wrote the article?

Fox could make up for it by releasing Man on a Tightrope, but that's probably in limbo too!

#3 of 34 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted August 07 2008 - 01:53 AM

I don't think that Kazan had any producer involvement with BOOMERANG! Louis DeRochemont was the producer. I'd love to see MAN ON A TIGHTROPE, VIVA ZAPATA!, WILD RIVER and A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN released on dvd. If or when BOOMERANG! is ever released on dvd, it mandates an "Inside Baseball" commentary on the legal problems or implications that have dogged its video history for decades. (Maybe that is why it has been withdrawn--it would be great publicity.)
Charles Hoyt

#4 of 34 OFFLINE   GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,126 posts

Posted August 07 2008 - 02:26 AM

What the ...? This cat-and-mouse game is really getting tiresome. After the initial release was pulled you'd think Fox would get everything absolutely ironed out and signed legally before announcing it for re-release.

I watched the movie on hulu.com. It was good and I'd like to have it on DVD. I can't understand what the apparent copyright problems could be for such an old movie. What do the current owners hope to achieve by not having it available?

#5 of 34 OFFLINE   BradleyS

BradleyS

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted August 07 2008 - 02:41 AM

I hope this means INFERNO is coming out as a replacement, at least.

#6 of 34 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,049 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted August 07 2008 - 04:58 AM

Bummer. I guess the version I snuck off the net will have to continue to do until Fox releases it proper. no way I'm paying the inflated ebay prices.

#7 of 34 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted August 07 2008 - 05:12 AM

Oh, balls...
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#8 of 34 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,335 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 07 2008 - 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell G
Bummer. I guess the version I snuck off the net will have to continue to do until Fox releases it proper. no way I'm paying the inflated ebay prices.
The prices on eBay were bad at first but they've actually been at or under the MSRP for months now. Anyone still waiting for a copy should just find a reputable seller on eBay and buy one there.

#9 of 34 ONLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted August 07 2008 - 07:28 AM

There is currently a new copy listed for sale at Amazon Marketplace for $19.99 plus shipping if you are willing to take a chance that it is as advertised.

#10 of 34 OFFLINE   ted:r

ted:r

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted August 07 2008 - 09:20 AM

I can't say I'm surprised...Disappointed, of course. Gnashing of teeth of course. Tearing of hair out (what there is of that) of course. But surprised? Oh no. Just another brick in the wall of my cynicism. That's all it is...

Whining meekly, looking for the liquor Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
"I was born when she kissed me. I died when she left me. I lived a few weeks while she loved me."

My 25 most wanted DVDs: Chilly Scenes Of Winter (1979); The Dead (1987); The African Queen (1951); Johnny Guitar (1954); The Sterile Cuckoo (1969); The Friends Of Eddie Coyle (1973); The Rain People (196...

#11 of 34 OFFLINE   ted:r

ted:r

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted August 07 2008 - 09:41 AM

In somewhat calm recollection...or whatever...

Part of the reason (if I recall correctly) that the WB stopped doing chats is that they would get bombarded by people saying "you said so-and-so would be released in the next year or two and where is it?" I've been guilty of that myself, at least in heart if not in print.

We do live in a world where rumours and half-facts gain traction and become pseudo facts pushing up expectations. Life does seem more of a rollercoaster these days in more ways than one, with the media, people. polls or companies pulling on our emotions, trying to be the firstest with the mostest. At the end of the day, it just reinforce's one's (or least my) cynicism. Tell me what you know, not what you believe, or want.

I know, I know, a little movie, a little DVD, its not the most important thing in the world. But wasn't there a Shakespeare thing "A little thing but mine own"*

*in case you think I'm being hoity toity, I remember it from "Quiz Show"
"I was born when she kissed me. I died when she left me. I lived a few weeks while she loved me."

My 25 most wanted DVDs: Chilly Scenes Of Winter (1979); The Dead (1987); The African Queen (1951); Johnny Guitar (1954); The Sterile Cuckoo (1969); The Friends Of Eddie Coyle (1973); The Rain People (196...

#12 of 34 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted August 07 2008 - 10:32 AM

I expected as much with all the discrepancies posted at various news sites and retailers. I already own the initial Fox pressing thanks to a kind person on this board who bought up extra copies to generously offer at face value to forum members after the first recall, so it's no personal loss to me. But I am hoping the title is replaced with something else of interest. Fox covers UA distribution package, right? How's about an official overdue release of D.O.A.?

#13 of 34 OFFLINE   BillyFeldman

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor

• 593 posts

Posted August 07 2008 - 06:04 PM

The question is was this ever really announced for this batch? Or was it just supposition on the part of websites, and then everyone jumped on that?

#14 of 34 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted August 07 2008 - 11:38 PM

Well hopefully this opened up Fox Noir slot gets filled ........preferably with Cry of the City.
Death before Streaming!

#15 of 34 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted August 08 2008 - 12:39 AM

I believe that commentaries have already been prepared for THE BRASHER DOUBLOON, THE THIRD VOICE, and VIOLENT SATURDAY. A gorgeous letterboxed print of VIOLENT SATURDAY has been playing on Fox recently.
Charles Hoyt

#16 of 34 OFFLINE   GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,126 posts

Posted August 08 2008 - 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyFeldman
The question is was this ever really announced for this batch? Or was it just supposition on the part of websites, and then everyone jumped on that?
Well, I think more than one retailer had it for preorder, so I assume it was more than supposition. Retailers don't usually list titles based on rumors.

#17 of 34 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,852 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 08 2008 - 06:58 AM

DVD Empire was the first to post the Fox announcement of the three Film Noir titles back in early summer and a little ago as 7/16/08 DVD Times posted this:

Fox Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of three Fox Film Noir titles on 2nd September 2008. Priced at $14.98 SRP each and making their R1 DVD debuts are Boomerang, Moontide and Road House. "Beautifully restored and remastered", features are detailed below…

So this was not just wishful thinking, but an actual announcement. Since I saw this thread yesterday, I have placed an order for a copy from the aborted first release.

The other two realeases "Road House" and "Moontide" are a got to have them.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#18 of 34 ONLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted August 12 2008 - 06:12 PM

However it still seems like Boomerang will be released in Canada. It is still listed on Amazon.ca with a September 2 release date

Amazon.ca: Boomerang: Elia Kazan, Dana Andrews, E.J. Ballantine, Royal Beal, Sr. Ed Begley, Wryley Birch, William Challee, Clay Clement, Lee J. Cobb, Philip Coolidge, James Dobson, Bert Freed, Richard Garrick, Walter Greaza, Helen Hatch, Taylor Holme

#19 of 34 OFFLINE   Paladin

Paladin

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted August 12 2008 - 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garysb
I received the following e-mail from DVD Empire concerning the Fox Noir film "Boomerang"

We have been informed by our distributors that the item 'Boomerang' is no
longer available and will not be available at any time in the future.

This is great news for me because I shelled out $40 for one of the pulled Boomerang DVDs. Now I don't feel like I wasted my money! Posted Image

#20 of 34 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted August 13 2008 - 12:13 AM

Sounds like I'll just order from Canada!!

Forum Nav Content I Follow