Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

how hot is a plasma supposed to get ?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   f1nuts

f1nuts

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted August 06 2008 - 06:14 AM

i have had my toshiba 42 inch plasma for around 2 years now..it had been mounted high up on the wall due to kids !... only used about 6hrs a week for movies. i have now bought it down into a large cabinet . i had never thought to feel how much heat it produces when it was on the wall , but checked it after about and hour , of first veiwing in its new spot i was surprised to how hot the top rear panel had become. and certainly felt that the screen had become much warmer. i mean it felt too hot ?....which seemd to also affect the plastic sides of the tv also. there is plenty of space in the rear of cabinet for ventilation, at least 18 inches with an open back also ....and i have now drilled out about 10- 3 inch diameter holes out of the top of the cabinet to let the heat escape upward from were it felt very hot. to me it seems it has not cooled it down . so is this normal to be hot enough to make you move your hand away after 30 secs or so .....can i add a quite fan in the rear of cabinet....would it help ??? thanks for any advice.......

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted August 06 2008 - 07:07 AM

Yes, they do get hot across the top. It's my understanding that's where all the heat vents from on a plasma. I own a Samsung and it does the same. It's probably been doing this for the 2 years you've had it and you just didn't notice. Maybe one of the techs will chime in here, but, I believe this is normal.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   chuckg

chuckg

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts

Posted August 06 2008 - 08:16 AM

After two years, I imagine there would be some dust accumulation in the vents, and in the wrinkly bits inside the TV. I don't know if you can vacuum it out, blow it out with an air compressor, or what.

Just a thought.

oh, btw: solar plasma can be millions of degrees. Posted Image
--ignore the man behind the curtain

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   f1nuts

f1nuts

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted August 06 2008 - 12:02 PM

thanks to you both for the piece of mind . i was getting a little anxious !

i will peer in and see how the dust is building up just incase .....Posted Image

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man

• 12,183 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted August 06 2008 - 12:15 PM

Jason: My Panasonic plasma is in a built that has plenty of room for ventilation and when it has been on for a couple of hours I can feel the heat from it when I walk by it. Parker

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted August 06 2008 - 02:02 PM

but a fan probably wouldn't hurt (much.) Plasmas get hot; the newer ones aren't as bad as the older ones - the first one I saw was a 20" diagonal (yes, twenty inch,) that demanded, I believe, 2200watts of peak power. The top of the screen was always a bit wavy due to the hot-air distortion in front of the screen. It was... ridiculous, but also still a "technology demonstration" stage product. But they still get hot, and boxing them in isn't a really great idea. The vents are a help; moving a little air through the screen will likely be a big help. Leo

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted August 06 2008 - 04:11 PM

My 50 inch Tosh gets damn hot. Not to touch, but when you step out of that room, its feels 20 degrees cooler! Thats no lie!

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   f1nuts

f1nuts

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted August 08 2008 - 04:31 AM

thanks agian for the last 3 replies also......i will definately be adding a quiet fan ....

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   IdontHaveAgoodUserName

IdontHaveAgoodUserName

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted August 08 2008 - 05:47 AM

lol just think of it this way in the winter when its cold turn on your plasma for a couple hours instead the heater/fireplace get warmth and tv enjoyment all in one Posted Image

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   chuckg

chuckg

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts

Posted August 08 2008 - 10:03 AM

Put in the BD of a fireplace...... Posted Image
--ignore the man behind the curtain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users