Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Audio Quality Question

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Don Scott

Don Scott

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted August 05 2008 - 03:58 PM

I'm getting a new tv(52LG70) that uses HDMI(my old one used DVI) and was wondering if there would be any loss of audio quality by connecting my PS3 and satellite receiver etc. via HDMI to my tv and then using an optical digital cable from my tv to my receiver.
My Marantz receiver isn't HDMI capable so this is my only option until I get a new receiver, which won't be for a while.

#2 of 5 Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted August 05 2008 - 04:28 PM

Use HDMI cable from the PS3, and from the sat receiver, to the tv for video.
Then run optical cables from PS3, and sat receiver, to the A/V receiver, instead of the tv.

The optical output on most tvs is for audio from local HD channels, that are received with an antenna. It's usually not meant to piggy-back like you were suggesting, although I've heard that a couple of tvs will allow it.
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#3 of 5 chuckg

chuckg

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts

Posted August 06 2008 - 12:58 AM

You won't get the full benefit of some audio (HD Master Audio, for instance) over the optical connection, but you will get audio of no lesser quality than you have been getting.

To take full advantage of HD-MA, you'll need HDMI connection to your audio system, or a BD player with analog outs and the proper codecs built in.
--ignore the man behind the curtain

#4 of 5 Don Scott

Don Scott

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted August 06 2008 - 03:12 AM

"You won't get the full benefit of some audio (HD Master Audio, for instance) over the optical connection, but you will get audio of no lesser quality than you have been getting."

That's a relief, that's what I was hoping. I really want the HD audio but will have to wait for a while, I just spent a large sum of money on the tv & PS3.

Thanks for the replies, it's much appreciated.

#5 of 5 chuckg

chuckg

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts

Posted August 06 2008 - 05:28 AM

No problem! I'm in the same boat - much better picture, but still optical (SPDIF) quality sound. I suppose I'll get the itch to change that around Christmas time...gleem.

Oh, and enjoy that PS3. I've never been a gamer, but I bought the PS3 for BD, and a couple games for the family to play together. And we _love_ the media server connection, to let us view our photos on the TV. I even use the 'net connection to check TV listings, since the on-air listings are always wrong or incomplete.
--ignore the man behind the curtain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users