Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

2008 NCAA College Football Thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#141 of 154 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,890 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 27 2008 - 05:21 AM

Keep in mind the only reason Michigan's bowl streak is at "only" 33 is that the Big Ten had a rule then where they only sent one team to a bowl -- the conference champ to the Rose Bowl. Michigan stayed home for the holidays two straight years with only one loss and one tie over those two seasons (both to Ohio State). It's difficult to imagine an undefeated (one tie) team not going to a bowl game.

#142 of 154 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted October 27 2008 - 07:28 AM

It is illegal to punch the ball like that to advance it if you can't get it. I'll get back to you on the actual rule. Based on the schedule Penn State has, I could see a one loss big twelve/one loss SEC playing in the national championship game over an undefeated Penn State.

#143 of 154 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 8,051 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted November 01 2008 - 02:57 PM

Oh gosh. Boise State just can't seem to get their act together this year. The final score against New Mexico State was only 49-0. They should have at least doubled that score. How are they ever going to get past USC in the Rose Bowl this year? Posted Image
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#144 of 154 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,001 posts

Posted November 01 2008 - 03:53 PM

Wow. Texas Tech. Wow.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#145 of 154 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,919 posts

Posted November 02 2008 - 03:09 AM

That is probably what should happen, but the "powers that be" might be hard pressed to ignore Penn State if they are undefeated and there is only one Big 12 or SEC team with one loss. It looks like the last four weeks of the college football season are going to be very interesting.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#146 of 154 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,890 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 02 2008 - 04:30 AM

That pretty much sums it up. That was quite a game.

#147 of 154 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted November 03 2008 - 11:36 AM

First post here in a while.

FOX Sports on MSN - COLLEGE FOOTBALL - Reports: Fulmer won't return to Vols next year

I figure it's part terrible offense part terrible recruiting.

#148 of 154 OFFLINE   KevinGress

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

• 674 posts

Posted November 04 2008 - 05:45 AM

I'd agree with the recruiting part of it. I read somewhere that Tenn. has to recruit its athletes out of state. Can someone here verify? He'd already done the firing assistants at least once before, so this was the logical step. Question is, does he still want to coach, and if so, who'll pick him up? Several BCS programs are gonna be looking for new blood. It'll be interesting who they pick.

#149 of 154 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 8,051 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted December 11 2008 - 06:17 AM

A Texas congresscritter is proposing legislation to force the BCS into a playoff system.

Congressman proposing bill to kill BCS system - College football- nbcsports.msnbc.com

I keep looking in the Constitution, Art. I, section 8, for Congressional authority in the matter, but somehow haven't found it yet. Posted Image

#150 of 154 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,919 posts

Posted December 12 2008 - 02:54 AM

With the economy on the brink of collapsing you would think there would be more important matters for members of Congress to tackle.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#151 of 154 OFFLINE   KevinGress

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

• 674 posts

Posted December 12 2008 - 05:51 AM

I'd rather they be distracted with trying to get D1 football into a playoff system, then muck up the economy any more than they have! I do find it funny that it's coming from Texas. Given how they've basically just taken over the B12 and rewritten everything to suit them, I find these just desserts sweet!

#152 of 154 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,220 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted December 13 2008 - 09:46 AM

I don't know. I think congress has fair incentive to get involved in this issue. Most of these universities are state & federal funded. The current setup of bowls diminishes the value of "lesser" leagues potential to earn monetary benefit from their presence in the BCS system, and the BCS system overly rewards states by placing extra value on their bowls.

A playoff system could provide greater financial impact, and if structured in the right way, it would provide interest in many teams that up until then would be statistically eliminated before the season began from contention.

Just some thoughts. Besides, agree with above, I'd prefer they waste time on this then mucking things up more Posted Image
trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#153 of 154 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 8,051 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted January 18 2009 - 07:06 AM

I don't have an original source for this but it's been "going around" the web.

#154 of 154 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,890 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 18 2009 - 11:59 PM

George Kaplan should really like this part... he can now equate Mack Brown to Adolf Hitler. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users