-

Photo
- - - - -

2008 NCAA College Football Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
153 replies to this topic

#1 of 154 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted August 05 2008 - 08:20 AM

It's that time of year. Being a Georgia Bulldog graduate, and fan, I'm pretty happy so far.

(searched for this thread, couldn't find it so started one)

#2 of 154 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,502 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 06 2008 - 02:03 AM

I am expecting a rough season for the Wolverines. The defense should be decent, but the offense will struggle a lot. The team is learning a completely new offensive system under new coach Rodriguez, and they have new starters virtually everywhere. No QB has any game experience, and they also lost their top two WR's, all time leading rusher and most of the offensive line (including #1 overall NFL draft pick Jake Long).

I think an 8-4 record would be quite an accomplishment.

#3 of 154 ONLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,675 posts

Posted August 06 2008 - 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield
I am expecting a rough season for the Wolverines. The defense should be decent, but the offense will struggle a lot.
Get in line.

I am expecting a rough season for the WolverinesUCLA. The defense should be decent, but the offense will struggle a lot.

We have a great coaching staff (Norm Chow & DeWayne Walker) calling the shots, but Dorrell left us with no horses, especially on the O-Line, which is where games are won and lost.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#4 of 154 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted August 06 2008 - 03:19 AM

BOOMER!

#5 of 154 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted August 06 2008 - 03:54 AM

Go Bucks! 20 returning starters!

#6 of 154 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Screenwriter

• 2,050 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted August 06 2008 - 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Tk
It's that time of year. Being a Georgia Bulldog graduate, and fan, I'm pretty happy so far.

(searched for this thread, couldn't find it so started one)

That makes two of us. Go Dawgs!!! Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 of 154 OFFLINE   Michael Warner

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor

• 742 posts

Posted August 06 2008 - 06:34 AM

Fortunately Michigan plays in the Big Ten which means that even with an off year they're still good enough to tie for 2nd and win 8 or 9 games. That's not an endorsement of Michigan's football prowess but rather an indictment of the quality of play in that conference over the past decade or so.

I'm still trying to decide which game to fly back for (Wisconsin or State) as I can only afford one trip this year. Might pick Wisconsin since I want to go root for UW against Notre Dame on 10/25.
Xbox Live: mugwumps

#8 of 154 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted August 07 2008 - 03:21 AM

I realize Georgia is the preseason #1, but one has to wonder how the off-field stuff is going to play out. http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3518653
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#9 of 154 OFFLINE   KevinGress

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

• 633 posts

Posted August 07 2008 - 06:30 AM

I'm really excited about this football season. I think the Nebraska Cornhuskers are going to surprise a bunch of people. Callahan's gone and the guy I wanted back in '03 is finally the HC. I know I need to temper my expectations, but I really think Pelini will have them playing hard and able to compete with everyone on their schedule, with the only exception being Oklahoma.

Quote:
I am expecting a rough season for the Wolverines. The defense should be decent, but the offense will struggle a lot. The team is learning a completely new offensive system under new coach Rodriguez, and they have new starters virtually everywhere. No QB has any game experience, and they also lost their top two WR's, all time leading rusher and most of the offensive line (including #1 overall NFL draft pick Jake Long).

I think an 8-4 record would be quite an accomplishment.

My question for Michigan fans is this - what is the prevalent thought about the choice of RR? I wonder because Nebraska made a big mistake trying the 'complete overhaul' with Callahan, and while I think RR is definitely a better coach than Callahan, I wonder if Michigan fans are onboard with this process.

#10 of 154 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,502 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 08 2008 - 12:02 AM

Quote:
My question for Michigan fans is this - what is the prevalent thought about the choice of RR? I wonder because Nebraska made a big mistake trying the 'complete overhaul' with Callahan, and while I think RR is definitely a better coach than Callahan, I wonder if Michigan fans are onboard with this process.

I think most fans are taking a "wait and see" approach, although Les Miles was the overwhelming fan choice for the job (but the athletic director screwed that up).

With the whole West Virginia lawsuit issue, though, fans will not show much patience with RR, IMO. While he gets a pass this season due to all the changes, the team had better be a contender next season or the grumbling will begin.

Personally, I'm a little uneasy with Rodriguez as the coach. There is something slimey about the guy, between the West Virginia lawsuit and the shady players he recruited at WV -- such as Pacman Jones and Chris Henry. Hopefully, I am wrong.

#11 of 154 OFFLINE   Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,189 posts

Posted August 08 2008 - 01:58 AM

My Auburn Tigers are hoping for a potent offense this year with the change to the "Spread" under the direction of new offensive coordinator Tony Franklin.

Unfortunately, we're probably going to need a potent offense since we've already lost a starting linebacker (Bo Harris) to academics and a starting DB (Aairon Savage) to a leg injury -- and we're only just now starting "Two-a-days".

In any event, it should be fun beating people 35-28 instead of 13-10!
Joseph
---------------

#12 of 154 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Screenwriter

• 2,050 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted August 11 2008 - 01:22 AM

Anybody own the SportSync radio? Been thinking about buying one so that I can watch the Dawgs and listen to Larry Munson at the same time without the audio delay between the two.

Welcome to SportSync - The AM/FM Radio With Sports Audio Delay!

#13 of 154 OFFLINE   Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,189 posts

Posted August 11 2008 - 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd H
Anybody own the SportSync radio? Been thinking about buying one so that I can watch the Dawgs and listen to Larry Munson at the same time without the audio delay between the two.

If you own a DVR, you can use the "video buffering" feature to sync up the broadcasts.

As you probably know, all DVR's provide a one hour buffer of any show that you're viewing live. Most also provide a "instant replay" feature that jumps back 8 seconds. Just press that button, make a few manual adjustments, and you should be "in sync" with Munson on the radio.
Joseph
---------------

#14 of 154 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Screenwriter

• 2,050 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted August 11 2008 - 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Bolus
If you own a DVR, you can use the "video buffering" feature to sync up the broadcasts.

As you probably know, all DVR's provide a one hour buffer of any show that you're viewing live. Most also provide a "instant replay" feature that jumps back 8 seconds. Just press that button, make a few manual adjustments, and you should be "in sync" with Munson on the radio.

The radio broadcast is ahead of the video broadcast so that doesn't work.

#15 of 154 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted August 11 2008 - 06:22 AM

I have the same problem Todd. I've got where I can't listen to Munson anymore bc I hate knowing every interception, fumble, incomplete before it happens. Last season with Direct TV Muson would say touchdown before the ball was snapped. Most of our games are on CBS and I like the guys on there.

#16 of 154 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Screenwriter

• 2,050 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted August 11 2008 - 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Tk
I have the same problem Todd. I've got where I can't listen to Munson anymore bc I hate knowing every interception, fumble, incomplete before it happens. Last season with Direct TV Muson would say touchdown before the ball was snapped. Most of our games are on CBS and I like the guys on there.

UGA football without Munson is painful to listen to. Plus, with this being his rumored last season, I figured I'd better listen to as many games this year as I can.

I found a couple of solutions...the SportSync and the Delay Play.

Welcome to SportSync - The AM/FM Radio With Sports Audio Delay!
Delay Play > Home

The SportSync is only $40 and the Delay Play is $150. I've ordered the SportSync. It comes with an audio cable that lets you hook it up to your home theater. I figured for $40 I'd give it a try.

#17 of 154 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,542 posts

Posted August 11 2008 - 06:44 AM

Quote:
I think most fans are taking a "wait and see" approach, although Les Miles was the overwhelming fan choice for the job (but the athletic director screwed that up).

With the whole West Virginia lawsuit issue, though, fans will not show much patience with RR, IMO. While he gets a pass this season due to all the changes, the team had better be a contender next season or the grumbling will begin.

Personally, I'm a little uneasy with Rodriguez as the coach. There is something slimey about the guy, between the West Virginia lawsuit and the shady players he recruited at WV -- such as Pacman Jones and Chris Henry. Hopefully, I am wrong.

I'm also a little uneasy about Rodriguez as coach for some of the same reasons and this is one football season I'm not excited about (for the Wolverines at least) going into the season. There was just too much off-season turmoil and I'm not sure they got the right guy. I too hope I'm wrong and I'll of course give the guy a chance.

#18 of 154 OFFLINE   JustMe

JustMe

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted August 11 2008 - 06:48 AM

Leghumpers will not remain #1 as they must play Florida. GO GATORS!

#19 of 154 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted August 11 2008 - 06:54 AM

Would be interesting to see an undefeated UF vs an undefeated UGA. The likelihood of this happening is slim though, because that would mean that both teams already defeated LSU.

#20 of 154 OFFLINE   Greg Layton

Greg Layton

Second Unit

• 268 posts

Posted August 11 2008 - 07:24 AM

I'm not hoping for much this year... If my Kansas State Wildcats can get back to a bowl game I'll be pretty ecstatic. I'm not very enthusiastic about the new contract that Ron Prince just received... he doesn't seem to have a clue as to what he's doing.
Watched/Top 10 Lists
2006 List 2006 Top 10
2007 List 2007 Top 10
2008 List 2008 Top 10
2009 List (incomplete)My AFI movie list is here.

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow