Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

AIRPORT

Robert Harris

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   L BENDER

L BENDER

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted August 05 2008 - 03:50 AM

I remember seeing Airport at the Radio City Music Hall in TODD-AO when it first came out and was very impressed with the TODD-AO image. Do you think the TODD-AO elements still exist, and if so who might have them. It would be nice to see a new 65mm transfer onto dvd someday, but I doubt that will ever happen.

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Stephen PI

Stephen PI

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted August 05 2008 - 07:55 AM

Universal should hold the 65mm original negative and the 4/6-track stereo audio mixes. I thought that the dvd release could have been a lot better.
I also remember vividly seeing "Airport" at the Odeon, Leicester Square, London in 1970. I had no prior knowledge that the film was shot in 65mm. It was a big surprise when the film started. I recall the vivid clarity of the snow flakes during the opening credit sequence and Alfred Newman's marvellous score in the wonder of 6-track stereophonic sound!
When the day arrives of a blu-ray release, I hope Newman's score will be available as a 5.1 isolated track.
Steve Pickard

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Jamey K

Jamey K

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted December 11 2008 - 03:44 AM

I saw it in Houston in the middle of the summer and was just blown away by the snowy runways. The current DVD of Airport isn't near as good as what I remember. The Airport sequels and "AirPLANE" took some of the greatness of this film away but it was a huge box office winner! I'd love to see Universal really spend some time on restortation of this film.

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Stephen PI

Stephen PI

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted December 11 2008 - 07:22 AM

They ran it on HDNET Movies recently and the picture quality in 1080i was spectacular.
Steve Pickard

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   dannyboy104

dannyboy104

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted December 18 2008 - 01:31 AM

The good news , this is being screened as I type this on channel 4 hd in the uk,the bad news , is that after the opening credits ,they have changed the aspect ratio from 2:35:1/2:20:1 aprox to 1:85:1,makes the split screening very tight. Apart from that,the picture looks great.

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,688 posts

Posted December 18 2008 - 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy104
The good news , this is being screened as I type this on channel 4 hd in the uk,the bad news , is that after the opening credits ,they have changed the aspect ratio from 2:35:1/2:20:1 aprox to 1:85:1,makes the split screening very tight. Apart from that,the picture looks great.

WHAT ?! I wonder who on earth produces cropped version of widescreen movies even in this day. Wasn't it also Universal that released a severely cropped DVD version of El Cid and Fall of the Roman Empire in the UK ?

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,934 posts

Posted April 03 2009 - 09:17 PM

Radio City Music Hall had to be retooled to show Airpport. It was the first 70 mm film they ever showed, so the equipment and six channel stereo had to be installed.

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Eric Vedowski

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit

• 304 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted April 04 2009 - 12:16 AM

I would certainly welcome a decent copy of this on DVD, loved it as a kid. Saw it at a theatre with a D-150 curved screen and the presentation was fabulous.
Just for kicks-details on the Dimension 150 system:
Widescreen Museum - The Todd-AO / 70mm Wing - page 14 - Dimension 150

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Stephen PI

Stephen PI

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted April 04 2009 - 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverK
WHAT ?! I wonder who on earth produces cropped version of widescreen movies even in this day. Wasn't it also Universal that released a severely cropped DVD version of El Cid and Fall of the Roman Empire in the UK ?
You obviously haven't been watching any of the Cinemax HD channels. They crop 'Scope films all the time.
Steve Pickard

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,688 posts

Posted April 05 2009 - 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen PI
You obviously haven't been watching any of the Cinemax HD channels. They crop 'Scope films all the time.

I have had the displeasure to hear of these practices.

But channel 4 in the UK is different in so far as they usually show things in the original aspect ratio, including movies in scope and 4:3 ARs.
So somebody must have gone through the trouble to supply them with a cropped master - horrible !

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   PaulTalbot

PaulTalbot

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted November 15 2009 - 11:01 AM

Does anyone know the reason for the disappointing quality of the R1 Universal DVD of AIRPORT?

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 833 posts

Posted March 09 2012 - 05:24 AM

My understanding is that AIRPORT is going to be released on bluray in September. Does anyone have any insider info if the transfer will be from the TODD-AO elements? It would really be nice if Universal went the full nine yards on this release. Will we see SWEET CHARITY anytime soon? Maybe someone with industry contacts could get an answer about the TODDAO question.

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,252 posts

Posted March 10 2012 - 12:52 AM

Love this film. Hopefully it gets the best treatment and is released in the highest quality possible. Spawned a lot of really lousy disaster films, all way over the top as far as believeability. Airport was classy, original and suspenseful. A bit dated now with all the flying rules, but still a great film.
Stan

Forum Nav Content I Follow