Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Interview with the Vampire (10/7), Poltergiest (10/14)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted August 04 2008 - 08:06 AM

Blu-ray.com - Interview with a Vampire; Poltergeist Announced

Quote:
Interview with a Vampire; Poltergeist Announced

Posted August 4, 2008 03:12 PM by Josh Dreuth

Warner Bros. Warner Home Video has announced that they will bring 'Interview with a Vampire' to Blu-ray on October 7th. A week later, on October 14th, they will bring 'Poltergeist' to Blu-ray as a digibook with never-before-seen photos and inside information. Both titles will be presented in 1080p VC-1 video . It is still unconfirmed in these releases will use Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital for the soundtracks.

No extras have been announced for 'Interview with a Vampire', but extras for 'Poltergeist' will include documentary "They Are Here: The Real World of Poltergeist Revealed".

No additional information was releases about either title at this time.

I was wondering what kind of Spielberg tie-ins there would be with the inevitable Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull BD release. Here's hoping for some more.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#2 of 31 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted August 04 2008 - 09:09 AM

Very cool.
Glad I held off on the Poltergeist SE dvd last year.

Posted Image

Now if only we could get some real extras...

#3 of 31 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,527 posts

Posted August 04 2008 - 09:30 AM

Interview with a Vampire is very much in need of an upgrade. The original DVD was released over 8 years ago (June 6, 2000).
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#4 of 31 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,478 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 04 2008 - 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack
It's unfortunate but it's not a surprise.

#5 of 31 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,397 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 04 2008 - 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack
Very cool.
Glad I held off on the Poltergeist SE dvd last year.

Posted Image

Me too.

But I doubt real extras will ever come, because I'm sure the legal department will eviscerate them.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#6 of 31 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,703 posts

Posted August 04 2008 - 01:44 PM

Must have Poltergeist! Great news indeed. Thanks for sharing this Paul.

#7 of 31 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,255 posts

Posted August 04 2008 - 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Glover
Must have Poltergeist!

Indeed! Didn´t get the SD DVD, so great news! I´ll be also getting "Interview with the Vampire". Kinda liked it.

#8 of 31 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,234 posts

Posted August 05 2008 - 02:50 AM

I'm still pissed about the special features debacle with Poltergeist. The film is too important and has too much history for it not to be talked about, even if some of the truth is ugly. But I will get it on BD. Let's just hope they don't blow it by not providing lossless audio.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#9 of 31 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,947 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted August 05 2008 - 05:03 AM

Great! I nearly upgraded Poltergeist over the weekend to the most recent one since it was only about 8 bucks. A BD will be much MUCH better. A definite future purchase and I CAN'T WAIT!

I pulled Interview out of the bargain bin months ago. It's still wrapped. Was saving it for October. But I'll definitely upgrade it too.

Both these are beyond worthy of better media. Very exciting!

The original Poltergeist DVD is one of the great disappointments in my DVD buying history. The opening credits look terrible.
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#10 of 31 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,255 posts

Posted August 05 2008 - 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillG
I'm still pissed about the special features debacle with Poltergeist. The film is too important and has too much history for it not to be talked about, even if some of the truth is ugly.

I feel your pain. I was also super-pissed, that they didn´t even include one featurette ("They Are Here" was just some lame "real life"-doc) or something like that... I guess the truth is "that ugly" after all.. Shame.

#11 of 31 OFFLINE   David (C)

David (C)

Stunt Coordinator

• 220 posts

Posted August 05 2008 - 07:37 AM

Quote:
I'm still pissed about the special features debacle with Poltergeist. The film is too important and has too much history for it not to be talked about, even if some of the truth is ugly. But I will get it on BD. Let's just hope they don't blow it by not providing lossless audio.
better to make peace

#12 of 31 OFFLINE   Rolando

Rolando

Screenwriter

• 1,320 posts

Posted August 05 2008 - 08:37 AM

How could someone get there hands on the E! THS on Poltergeist? Is it out on video? YouTube? anyone having a recording? wher can I buy/rent?
Rolando Avendano

My Collection

#13 of 31 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,234 posts

Posted August 05 2008 - 08:53 AM

Quote:
better to make peace

Yeah, I saw that doc. which was why I was so surprised that there wasn't anything of value on that DVD. Plenty of people associated with the film were willing to talk then.

#14 of 31 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,478 posts

Posted August 05 2008 - 09:15 AM

Having seen it, I have a hard time trusting that E! True Hollywood Story as a serious look at the movie. I think they wanted to talk about 'the Poltergeist curse' more than anything else. Unless Tobe Hooper comes out and says that Spielberg made the movie, I doubt any documentary will change anyone's mind about who directed what in the movie. Personally, I think Steven Speilberg directed the big effects scenes in the movie but Tobe Hooper directed the bulk of it.

I'm surprised that no one has posted a You Tube link to an EPK featurette and says that because it focuses on Speilberg that that's proof that he directed the entire movie. Of course, they completely disregard that Speilberg was probably the most famous director on the planet and Tobe Hooper was the guy who directed low budget horror movies so the EPK would feature Speilberg much more than Hooper. Another bit of 'proof' that I like is that there's a picture or footage of Speilberg wearing a hat that says "Producer/Director" so that proves he directed it. However, that disregards that it had to be a secret that he was directing the movie but he apparently had a hat made so everyone could know the secret.

#15 of 31 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,234 posts

Posted August 05 2008 - 09:42 AM

Quote:
However, that disregards that it had to be a secret that he was directing the movie but he apparently had a hat made so everyone could know the secret.

That should be easy, wasn't he directing E.T. at the time?

#16 of 31 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,277 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted August 05 2008 - 09:51 AM

that is a 7 minute making of poltergeist

here is another.
at about 50 seconds it changes from the first video above to what appears to be TCM footage.

then about 65 seconds in the double hat is there on Speilberg, really hard to see what it says.

facebook.com/whotony

#17 of 31 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,478 posts

Posted August 05 2008 - 09:55 AM

Quote:
That should be easy, wasn't he directing E.T. at the time?
That's exactly why I find it such flimsy evidence to say that he directed Poltergeist.

#18 of 31 OFFLINE   Rolando

Rolando

Screenwriter

• 1,320 posts

Posted August 05 2008 - 04:43 PM

Well I don't know the whole story but what would you call what he seems to be doing on the set. I am no expert but he does seem to be "directing" the crew...
Rolando Avendano

My Collection

#19 of 31 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,090 posts

Posted August 05 2008 - 11:15 PM

I've read a few different stories about who really directed Poltergeist but I do know the film itself is completely unlike anything Hooper has made before and since. If there were no credits and I had to guess just from the vide of the film I'd say it was a film directed by Spielberg.

Anyway I'll be picking up both Poltergeist and Vampire. Posted Image
Death before Streaming!

#20 of 31 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,478 posts

Posted August 06 2008 - 07:11 AM

I'm sure that Speilberg directed scenes in the movie and had a strong creative hand in the entire movie but that doesn't mean that he directed the whole thing. Like I said before, who are they going to focus on in the EPK footage- the guy who directed Jaws, Close Encounters and Raiders Of The Lost Ark or the guy who directed The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Eaten Alive and The Funhouse?

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow