Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

SMPTE to Establish 3-D Home Entertainment Task Force

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,285 posts

Posted August 02 2008 - 04:34 AM

A heads-up from Penton-Man post #4641 @ Blu-ray.com.

SMPTE to Establish 3-D Home Entertainment Task Force

Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,563 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted August 04 2008 - 06:06 AM

I would love to see the 3-D films from the 1950's and others in a proper 3-d format on video. Just look at all the films that were shot in 3-D - The Illustrated 3D Movie List

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,169 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted August 05 2008 - 07:17 AM

This has me excited. I've only ever seen a handful of 3-D films in theatres and would love the opportunity to replicate the experience @ home, especially with some of the 50s classics.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,563 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted August 06 2008 - 11:04 AM

Mitsubishi and Samsung have had 3-d 120hz rear projection TV's for a few years but, there are no 120hz dvd players. You need to run it through a PC. I'm guessing until most dvd players and TV's are 120hz you will not see the release of these old and new 3-D films in the proper 3-D format.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,169 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted August 06 2008 - 01:05 PM

I was aware of that and wondered how their 3-D effect stacks up against Real D, which runs @ 144 hZ (24 fps with each frame for each eye displayed 3x).
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,563 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted August 07 2008 - 01:57 AM

I saw a demo a few months ago. It was on a 73 inch Mitsubishi. I thought it looked fantastic. They showed scenes from Beowulf and others that originated in 3-D. They also showed scenes from one of the Star Wars films which of course was converted to 3-D. I have seen other films in the field-sequential method that were coverted from 2-D to 3-D and they looked terrible. This looked great. Objects were actually coming out of the screen.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users