Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is anyone friends or know a celebrity?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,923 posts

Posted August 01 2008 - 08:39 AM

I am not asking for names. But, a few of my friends were talking about this while watching a baseball game. We wondered how a celebrity meets new friends (who aren't in the business)? How do they know if they want to be friends because they get along or because they are a celeb? On a similar note. My friends son goes to the same school as Bruce Springsteen's son. And you have to wonder when this kid meets someone. How does he know they just being friends with them because they like him or because his dad is Bruce Springsteen?

So I am curious if anyone here is friends or knows a celeb pretty well that might be able to answer this? And I am not including people who knew a celeb before they were big.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#2 of 32 OFFLINE   Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,044 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted August 01 2008 - 10:00 AM

A business relationship is one way.

You provide some service and do a good job. The celeb in question keeps coming back. Over time, you become more and more friendly to the point where you are exchanging birthday gifts and getting invited to their wedding.

-Keith
As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#3 of 32 OFFLINE   Lucia Duran

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter

• 1,089 posts

Posted August 02 2008 - 01:50 AM

I've met quite a few celebs, but I have never known any personally or been friends with any.
NO SHIRT

NO SHOES

NO SHELDON

#4 of 32 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted August 02 2008 - 02:30 AM

I have a distant cousin, who is somewhat a celebrity. His name is Clyde King (do a Google search). I've met him once, so we're not really "friends". Just kinda neat knowing he's in the family........... Posted Image
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#5 of 32 OFFLINE   drobbins

drobbins

Screenwriter

• 1,870 posts

Posted August 02 2008 - 03:19 AM

Being as we are reaching here... My sister studies gorillas in Africa. She has been in a few documentaries on TV and in magazines. No paparazzi though, so I guess she is not a celebrity.

#6 of 32 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,343 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted August 02 2008 - 04:24 AM

Shelly Fabres used my name in a song a couple of years ago...ok, maybe it's more than a couple of yearsPosted Image
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#7 of 32 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted August 02 2008 - 05:12 AM

My brother is good friends with this guy:

Chris J. Johnson

Not a celebrity, but he was on a short lived series.

#8 of 32 OFFLINE   Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 960 posts

Posted August 02 2008 - 05:51 AM

Kind-of a different subject but I'm related to Evelyn Ankers, the scream queen of the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Posted Image

I don't personally know anyone famous however.

#9 of 32 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted August 02 2008 - 06:25 AM

One of my cousin's friends is a good friend of John Cho (Harold and Kumar).

#10 of 32 OFFLINE   Don Solosan

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor

• 748 posts

Posted August 02 2008 - 06:54 AM

Todd, I don't know how old Springsteen's son is, but I would hazard the guess that most kids don't know/care about the Bruce. And if they do, it's an abstract kind of thing. If they like the son, it's for his own qualities as a person.

I have a friend whose kids attend school in the LA area, and they know the children of a fair amount of actors, producers, musicians, etc. While they might think it's cool that so-and-so is Big Star's son, if he's a creep, they avoid him. For the most part -- from what I hear -- these kids don't make a big deal about who their parents are, and act like normal, nice people.

#11 of 32 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted August 02 2008 - 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd s
... I am not including people who knew a celeb before they were big.
Well, thread rules are always getting broken, aren't they? Posted Image

It's been years ago now but my niece used to be really well known when we lived in Kansas.
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#12 of 32 OFFLINE   Jimi C

Jimi C

Screenwriter

• 1,209 posts

Posted August 02 2008 - 02:55 PM

My good friend since high school is a second cousin of Vincent Gallo.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/theend13/sabres.jpg[/IMG]

#13 of 32 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,833 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted August 03 2008 - 09:07 AM

My brother used to jam sometimes with Jerry Garcia and Billy Kreutzman. They wanted him to play in a band they were forming but my father put his foot down and absolutely forbid it, saying there was no future in such a band.

The band is known as The Greatful Dead.

When I was an engineer at Lockheed, one of my draftsmen was Chuck Yeager's kid.

When I studied 'cello, my teacher was a student of William Van den Berg, who was a student of Pablo Casals. Van den Berg was the principal cellist under Stoki when Fantasia was filmed and shows up in several scenes. Heck I took a class from him at UCSC years ago.

Quote:
My good friend since high school is a second cousin of Vincent Gallo.

My good friend since high school used to work for Ernest and Julio Gallo. Is that about the same thing? Posted Image
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#14 of 32 OFFLINE   Jason Adams

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor

• 631 posts

Posted August 03 2008 - 03:47 PM

I made a movie (well short mockumentary) with Doug E. Doug in it, called Slapboxing: The Quickness of the Hand. He lives just down the street from the high school. That turned out well.

I also knew a kid that was the cousin of Rob Thomas's wife. He went to his wedding to her and brought pictures to us to show.

#15 of 32 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted August 03 2008 - 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Adams
I made a movie (well short mockumentary) with Doug E. Doug

Whom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Adams
I also knew a kid that was the cousin of Rob Thomas's wife. He went to his wedding to her and brought pictures to us to show.

This is going well. Posted Image

Did I get to theonion.com by mistake?
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#16 of 32 OFFLINE   Jason Adams

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor

• 631 posts

Posted August 03 2008 - 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Gale
Whom?

He was in a bunch of Disney movies in the 90's...Cool Runnings...That Darn Cat...he was also a voice in Shark Tale, and also in the revival of Cosby. Not a *huge* celebrity, but he has some name recognition.

#17 of 32 OFFLINE   Tim Maynard

Tim Maynard

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted August 03 2008 - 05:48 PM

Haha. Sanka "Kiss my lucky egg" Posted Image
Tim Maynard
"You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth!! No truth-handler you!! Bah!! I deride your truth-handling abilities!!"

#18 of 32 OFFLINE   Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted August 04 2008 - 04:10 AM

This is an interesting question because it points towards how our social circles are structured. Just about everyone knows someone who knows someone who's famous, but so far it seems no one here can say they are friends with a famous person.

I have a pretty limited social circle on a day-to-day basis: family, work, neighbors, and friends. I would guess if I added up all the people that know me by name throughout my whole life, the number would only be a few hundred--extended family, former classmates, members of organizations I belonged to over the years, etc. As for people I can currently call non-family "friends" (which I define as someone you could turn to when you needed a favor such as helping them move) I would put that number under 50.

Anyway, fame seems to be rare and fleeting, and also a tightly-knit group. Once famous, they probably have limited opportunities to interact outside of their circles. Heck, even non-famous people often complain about not having opportunities to meet new people. Ask anyone who is having trouble finding a proper mate.
"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink

#19 of 32 OFFLINE   Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,972 posts

Posted August 04 2008 - 04:14 AM

I've had Simon LeBon over for dinner. He usually calls when he's in town.

#20 of 32 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,923 posts

Posted August 04 2008 - 04:42 AM

My brother went to a wedding of a friend of his from college. At the wedding were the Estevez's (Emilio & Charlie) and the Penn's (Sean, Chris). His friend grew up in a house next to the Estevez's and Penn's. So they became friends as kids. My wife who loves Emilio was pissed my brother didn't take her. Posted Image
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow