Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Clear and Present Danger"what with that Loading Crap"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Peter Neski

Peter Neski

Supporting Actor

• 898 posts

Posted July 31 2008 - 05:23 AM

No resume play because this disc has that stupid "Loading "Crap .whats with
that? why this BR theres no stupid game on it,why?

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,220 posts

Posted July 31 2008 - 05:29 AM

(Removed by me)

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted July 31 2008 - 05:37 AM

I suspect BD+ is behind this. Clearly there are millions of people looking to pirate high-def images of Harrison Ford point his finger at someone every five seconds. Posted Image

Posted Image
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,280 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted July 31 2008 - 08:20 AM

Currently, BD-Java programmed titles cannot perform Stop/Resume. They will also commonly have a load screen of some kind.

I've heard that a firmware upgrade in the future may resolve the Stop/Resume issue.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator

• 198 posts

Posted July 31 2008 - 09:27 AM

I had my copy of Starship Troopers arrive today and this is a BD-J title.

Interestingly enough, when you activate the Bonusview feature it reloads the Java and then kicks off the BV from the start of the film (regardless of where you were when you activated it).

Then upon leaving BV it reloads the Java and drops you back into the film at the point where you left off.

This is the first example that I've seen of a Java disc effectively reloading and then resuming. So hopefully a firmware update to the PS3 will allow resuming for all BD-J discs as this is currently a real pain.

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted August 01 2008 - 12:02 PM

This is turning into my major pet peeve with Blu-ray, and while I've 'upgraded' 30 or so titles so far, I'm almost getting ready to go back to dvd only until this gets resolved. The idea that I can be in the middle of a movie, and then I've got to go through 5 minutes of loading and then manually try to get back to where I left off is just a major pain in the ass, and really pissing me off.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted August 01 2008 - 01:01 PM

I hit pause, and try to be back to my seat really fast.

But i agree, would be nice to stop, and come back to where you left off on the JAVA discs.

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Vern Dias

Vern Dias

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted August 01 2008 - 03:22 PM

On my HTPC, I have yet to see the "loading" icon stay up for more than 3 or 4 seconds. So, I would blame the player implementation, rather than the underlying architecture. I do agree that finding the point you want to resume from is a pain, though.

Vern

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted August 01 2008 - 03:51 PM

I've found that most BD-J discs have the "bookmark" feature. So, while you may have to wait for the title to reload, finding your place is easy as long as you remember to bookmark it.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted August 03 2008 - 12:48 AM

Well, maybe it's just my blu-ray player, but it doesn't seem to have a bookmark feature.

I hit pause, and try to be back to my seat really fast.
Well, when it's my son's bedtime, and we can't watch again til tomorrow night, that would be a long pause. Posted Image
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted August 03 2008 - 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kaplan
Well, maybe it's just my blu-ray player, but it doesn't seem to have a bookmark feature.

I have seen the feature, but never used it. Its not player based, its disc based. I have a Sony BDP300, and 350.

Quote:
Well, when it's my son's bedtime, and we can't watch again til tomorrow night, that would be a long pause. Posted Image

Yea it would!
When my kids were little, movie time started WHEN they went to bed. Not much, i was allowed to watch, when they were awake. Posted Image

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted August 03 2008 - 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kaplan
If your Blu-ray remote has a green "B" button (which I believe is standard), any disc with the bookmark feature should respond to it by creating a bookmark. Existing bookmarks are usually accessed under scene access, although sometimes I've found them elsewhere (e.g., special features).

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted August 03 2008 - 03:19 AM

Yeah 3 to 4 seconds loading is what I experience. 5 minute loading sounds like a player specific issue.
Death before Streaming!

Forum Nav Content I Follow