Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Titanic and the missing Trailers on the U.S. DVD

Van Ling

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   EnricoE

EnricoE

Supporting Actor

• 516 posts

Posted July 29 2008 - 11:25 PM

van, is there a reason why paramount dropped the trailers for the u.s. release of the dvd? fox had them on their dvd including a storyboard version of the teaser, which i'd love to see in final form, but that ain't gonna happen Posted Image

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Van Ling

Van Ling

Stunt Coordinator

• 160 posts

Posted July 30 2008 - 06:29 AM

Enrico, the Titanic SE was originally to be a 4-disc set for both domestic (Paramount) and worldwide (Fox) release, but when the planned new documentary was dropped late in the process (the official word being that JC wanted to wait until Leo could participate, so it would be complete), Fox elected to keep it a 4-disc set while Paramount dropped it to a 3-disc set to save costs. Basically, without the doc, there was one and a half discs' worth of bonus material left; you could either make it two discs with some unused space, or reduce it to one disc. As a result, Paramount elected to toss a bunch of materials to fit all the bonus materials on a single disc. Since Fox was handling the international discs, they could do it differently from Paramount, so they did. V

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   EnricoE

EnricoE

Supporting Actor

• 516 posts

Posted July 30 2008 - 08:44 AM

understandable why they did it.

thank you van Posted Image

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted August 01 2008 - 01:30 PM

I just want to say thank you for providing the final words on this subject, which was full of so much speculation and head-scratching all in frustration as everyone was left in the dark about these things.

The answers to these questions are so...reasonable and non-controversial than what most of us here on HTF thought when discussing the DVD release.

So, Thank you very much!

Posted Image

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Mark_TB

Mark_TB

Second Unit

• 345 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska

Posted August 23 2008 - 08:36 AM

Van, was the documentary ever completed with Leo's participation? Is there still a chance we might see this down the road as part of the BD presentation? Mark

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted August 23 2008 - 04:27 PM

I hope it's released and contains something, anything related to the film's music. That was one aspect of the film all but ignored on the DVD, save for the cast/crew commentary track. The music, separate from that song, had a vitally important impact on the film and deserved to be recognized beyond that one song. I figured the documentary must have featured something about it, but because the doc was dropped and there was nothing else about it in any other featurettes to include, that was that.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Van Ling

Van Ling

Stunt Coordinator

• 160 posts

Posted August 23 2008 - 09:18 PM

Mark, the doc was never completed, and as far as I understand it, Leo has not given an interview for it. We can always keep our fingers crossed that it will happen one day... Nicholas, there was indeed supposed to be a nice section on the music, as documentarian Ed Marsh did do an interview with James Horner. Sadly, most of the great interview bits had been earmarked for the doc, so I was not able to use any of them for the "white rabbit"-style video segments ("pods") that I had put together and finished before the doc was dropped. And believe it or not, I never even SAW any of the doc put together; Ed was working on it full-time while I was focusing on everything else: the video pods, the commentaries, the deleted scenes, the still galleries, etc.... which kept me pretty well busy. The DVD menus, by the way, were done by Drissi Multimedia. V

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted August 24 2008 - 05:00 AM

That documentary sounds like one of the great unseen holy grails of DVD, much like the long rumored 'Cocooned' Paul Reiser deleted scene from "Aliens" and various cut scenes from the original "Star Wars" trilogy.

Speaking of deleted scenes, including those Titanic deleted scenes and alternate ending, fully restored and sound mixed was downright perfect. So many wonderful moments included.

In a strange way I'm sorry we know more about the documentary, because now we know more about what we're missing!

Posted Image

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted August 26 2008 - 12:54 PM

The real answers on issues like this usually are. Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   JakeLip

JakeLip

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted May 24 2009 - 01:35 PM

Just throwing this idea out there -- but perhaps the documentary can be completed now and released with the eventual Blu-ray? Considering that Cameron has AVATAR finally coming out in December, it would seem an ideal time to revisit Titanic in hi-def, especially on the international front because Fox is the distributor for both films. On that note, Van, are you doing anything for the release of Avatar at this point? I assume it will have an elaborate DVD when it streets sometime next year, but I think it's pretty wierd that the movie is slated for a December theatrical release and we have yet to see any trailers/behind-the-scenes EPK footage/posters or what have you.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Screenwriter

• 1,921 posts

Posted August 26 2009 - 08:53 AM

Any word on a blu release of Titanic with the missing extras?

Oh and nice cameo in the film; you really looked convincing being lost. 
My Blu Rays
http://www.blu-ray.c...ol...=Dj Matt B

Favorite films of all time in no order
1. Zodiac 2. Dawn of the Dead (1978) 3. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 4. Blade Runner 5. The Warriors 6. Dark Knight 7. The Godfather  8. Bullitt 9. Experiment in Terror 10. Raiders of the Lost...

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted August 26 2009 - 10:13 AM

With Jim Cameron having the film converted to 3-D, don't be surprised if that is what we're ultimately all waiting for in terms of a Blu-ray release. Of course I hope that documentary is included, so all aspects of the film's production can be finally shown with no exclusions.

Paramount would also (more than likely) place it under their new "Sapphire" series of releases (Braveheart, Gladiator, Forrest Gump - Titanic certainly qualifies to join those under that new banner)