What's new

What does the iPhone 3G need? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
For all the love of the new iPhone, it seems there's equal annoyance and disappointment with it. I'm curious what people think it needs -- not necessarily an "I wish..." list, but what important feature is lacking that keeps you from upgrading or leaves you disappointed with the whole affair.

I'm really impressed by the iPhone. I lust for one.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
But being married and having a budget, I don't see it in my future. Were cash not a concern, the one major roadblock is AT&T. Until the iPhone is available on Verizon, I doubt I'd go for it, even if I found an extra $1000 to spend on a phone.

After that, lack of Cut-and-Paste, no syncing for Notes ,and no ToDo app seem braindead to me. But I want a fully integrated PDA / phone more than phone with a killer web browser.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Dave, if Verizon is a support is a show-stopper for you (and if AT&T service is bad in your neck of the woods, I certainly understand), don't bother with the other stuff, because Verizon availability isn't happening: Verizon CEO to Steve Jobs: Drop Dead

El Jobso isn't known for his sense of humor. Unless Verizon fires CEO Ivan Seidenberg and does major groveling -- no iPhone for them. (There is a precedent -- Pixar refused to renew with Disney until they got rid of Eisner who had also dissed Apple/Jobs in various ways).

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Since you can already create appointments --- and even sync them with your office --- I don't see the absence of a "To-Do" list as a show stopper. (Heck you could just enter them into a note ...). In any event, with the "App Store" up now you can be sure that any perceived lack of functionality will be fillled by a third-party developer.

The only real deficiency of the iPhone is the lack of an ability to switch out the batteries.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's like switching banks: I could do it if sufficiently motivated, but there's not enough reason yet. V's CEO's comments: crazy!

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

This has been one of my few complaints with the the iPhone and OS X for that matter. I actually prefer MS Outlook's way of handling tasks. :eek: Since I prefer the Mac and use an iPhone, I've tried to adapt to Calender, but it is clunky and doesn't work the way I'd like it to work.

ErichH

Screenwriter

I agree. It does serve as another notice to Apple (hopefully) The real thing would be global in the system - no app.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Apple are well aware of that and they are working on copy/paste -- it just hasn't made it in yet.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The rumor right now is that Apple has one final iPhone release
planned for late next year that will be the "ultimate" phone that
everyone had hoped for. It should also be out in time for the next
broadband upgrade (4G?).

Consider this only rumor.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I expect a bump to 32GB and possibly a longer lasting battery by Christmas.

Other nice to haves:
Voice Dialing
Stereo Bluetooth
Copy n Paste

Even if it doesnt get those tho I'm swapping over once my contract is up round the 1st of the year.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Another key weakness for the iPhone and other smart phones: no voice dialing!

I don't get it. My basic 2-yr old phone does voice dialing over a bluetooth earpiece. Why don't the super phones do this? And how do people survive without it?

I don't follow cell phone news much. But it seems 3G / cell broadband is only now moving into the mainstream. Is there likely to even be a 4G service next year? (maybe so. I'm not up on these things.)

A coworker showed me the bubble-level app for the iPhone. Very cool
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
He also told me that he uses it to diagnose the random failures of the accelerometer subsystem. Very Uncool :frowning:

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
This rumor (source?) is guaranteed wrong in two respects:
There will never be "one final iPhone release" unless Apple decides to close its business and return the money to its share holders (apologies to Michael "OK, so the Pocket DJ went down in flames, but now we have Rob Enderle working on our new MP3 player" Dell). Every year or so there will be a new iPhone model or models. New faster CPUs, better batteries, better cameras, video, greater capacity, smaller form factor, higher rez. screen... sky is the limit.

Second, AT&T is barely rolling out their 3G network. 4G sufficiently operational by NEXT year for a 4G iPhone release? Highly doubtful.

ErichH

Screenwriter

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
According to this Steve Jobs says that a firmware fix is on its way.
As I still have my 2G iPhone, I can't speak from experience, but lately in New York City AT&T's Edge (2G) performance has been deteriorating badly. I get full five bars at my office but lately Edge has been slooooooooooooooooooow. I'm guessing that in highly populated, upscale urban areas, AT&T's data network (be it 2G or 3G) is getting overwhelmed.

I don't think that AT&T (along with Apple or anyone else) came anywhere close to anticipating iPhones sales/popularity. And as we know iPhone users consume orders of magnitude more data than any other mobile device. Bottom line -- AT&T needs to beef up the network.

It would appear that there is an iPhone issue of some sort as well, best guess is that it handles switching back and forth between 3G and Edge really badly. Of course there may be other stuff as well.

But, I don't think that ANY mobile network ANYWHERE in the world has previously experienced iPhone caliber data demands. When people parade reports of problems in London as proof that AT&T is blameless, I think they are missing the point -- huge surge in data demand == network problems. I think that cell carriers worldwide will get a handle on it, and Apple will fix the glitches on their end, but no one has been prepared for the iPhone's popularity, and catching up will take time.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Personally I think the iPhone should have come with two cans
and string.

A lot of unhappy iPhone owners these days where I work.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Not sure I get it -- if anything Apple's problem is the opposite -- they have been working way too hard to get any number of project out on a strict schedule -- and the result have been mixed at best. They need a little more play and less work to regroup.

So, did any of you 3G sufferers load the new iPhone 2.0.2 firmware -- does it improve the quality of the string between the two cans?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, I am a bit mystified by Eric's response as well.

Everyone within my personal community has seen no major
performance boost with the 2.0.1 firmware. Since 2.0.2 was
released yesterday it will be a few days before I know the
results of that upgrade.

In fact, yesterday one of my co-workers returned his iPhone to
the Apple store for dropped call problems and was promptly given
a replacement.

For me, the "awe" of this phone has worn off. I rarely use any of
the apps I downloaded. Thus, I am left with a device that hardly
works well as a phone or business tool.

The next purchase I need to make is the Juice Pack due out next
month. That should get me through a single day without completely
draining the battery of the iPod which seems to be a daily ritual.

ErichH

Screenwriter
'All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy' An old saying/proverb. Also used in the Shining (Kubrick) to great effect.

Apple put a product out that you can play with (most apps are useless games) that doesn't work in the most important areas (communication). The Apple shiny is dull.

OK?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
my first gen iphone seems to work very well.
as a phone and as a little game player.

i have no complaints.

now there are people who have the 2nd gen iphone
who are saying the iphone is...

"a device that hardly
works well"

it took 2 iphones t figure that out?
the second one is marginally better then the first one as far as i can figure.

so you already knew what you were getting when you ought it again this summer.
new apps are showing up every day.
there is bound to be something that can do what you need

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks