22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 DaveF

DaveF

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 12,508 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 29 2008 - 07:39 AM

For all the love of the new iPhone, it seems there's equal annoyance and disappointment with it. I'm curious what people think it needs -- not necessarily an "I wish..." list, but what important feature is lacking that keeps you from upgrading or leaves you disappointed with the whole affair.

I'm really impressed by the iPhone. I lust for one. Posted Image But being married and having a budget, I don't see it in my future. Were cash not a concern, the one major roadblock is AT&T. Until the iPhone is available on Verizon, I doubt I'd go for it, even if I found an extra $1000 to spend on a phone.

After that, lack of Cut-and-Paste, no syncing for Notes ,and no ToDo app seem braindead to me. But I want a fully integrated PDA / phone more than phone with a killer web browser.

#2 of 23 Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,858 posts

Posted July 29 2008 - 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF
I'm really impressed by the iPhone. I lust for one. Posted Image But being married and having a budget, I don't see it in my future. Were cash not a concern, the one major roadblock is AT&T. Until the iPhone is available on Verizon, I doubt I'd go for it, even if I found an extra $1000 to spend on a phone.
Dave, if Verizon is a support is a show-stopper for you (and if AT&T service is bad in your neck of the woods, I certainly understand), don't bother with the other stuff, because Verizon availability isn't happening: Verizon CEO to Steve Jobs: Drop Dead

El Jobso isn't known for his sense of humor. Unless Verizon fires CEO Ivan Seidenberg and does major groveling -- no iPhone for them. (There is a precedent -- Pixar refused to renew with Disney until they got rid of Eisner who had also dissed Apple/Jobs in various ways).
Hold on tightly, let go lightly.
My Twitter page

#3 of 23 ErichH

ErichH

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted July 29 2008 - 11:48 AM

Dave - cut and paste is one of a number of items that will happen via the store - iClarified - Apple News - MagicPad Features Copy and Paste for iPhone
It's possible they think the calender & contacts are enough of a PDA. I'll bet there are plenty of devs who have just what you want, but are waiting in the approve que.

I hate all carriers, so mum Posted Image

My main hold at this point is QC.

#4 of 23 Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,155 posts

Posted July 29 2008 - 03:27 PM

Since you can already create appointments --- and even sync them with your office --- I don't see the absence of a "To-Do" list as a show stopper. (Heck you could just enter them into a note ...). In any event, with the "App Store" up now you can be sure that any perceived lack of functionality will be fillled by a third-party developer.

The only real deficiency of the iPhone is the lack of an ability to switch out the batteries.
Joseph
---------------

#5 of 23 DaveF

DaveF

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 12,508 posts

Posted July 30 2008 - 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Bolus
Since you can already create appointments --- and even sync them with your office --- I don't see the absence of a "To-Do" list as a show stopper. (Heck you could just enter them into a note ...). In any event, with the "App Store" up now you can be sure that any perceived lack of functionality will be fillled by a third-party developer.

The only real deficiency of the iPhone is the lack of an ability to switch out the batteries.
While not a killer for me, ToDo is quite different from calendar appointments. See a Palm PDA for the relationship between a calendar and good ToDo list.

Quote:
Dave - cut and paste is one of a number of items that will happen via the store - iClarified - Apple News - MagicPad Features Copy and Paste for iPhone
I don't understand. Is it copy and paste within the app? Or is an app giving c/p to all iPhone apps? That doesn't make sense. Imagine if OS X had no Copy & Paste, and you had to choose among competing apps with different copy/paste methods to get it (partially) working on your system. It's just a bad approach.

Quote:
Dave, if Verizon is a support is a show-stopper for you (and if AT&T service is bad in your neck of the woods, I certainly understand), don't bother with the other stuff, because Verizon availability isn't happening: Verizon CEO to Steve Jobs: Drop Dead
It's like switching banks: I could do it if sufficiently motivated, but there's not enough reason yet. V's CEO's comments: crazy!

#6 of 23 DavidJ

DavidJ

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted July 30 2008 - 09:11 AM

Quote:
While not a killer for me, ToDo is quite different from calendar appointments. See a Palm PDA for the relationship between a calendar and good ToDo list.

This has been one of my few complaints with the the iPhone and OS X for that matter. I actually prefer MS Outlook's way of handling tasks. Posted Image Since I prefer the Mac and use an iPhone, I've tried to adapt to Calender, but it is clunky and doesn't work the way I'd like it to work.

#7 of 23 ErichH

ErichH

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted July 30 2008 - 11:50 AM

Quote:

I don't understand. Is it copy and paste within the app? Or is an app giving c/p to all iPhone apps? That doesn't make sense. Imagine if OS X had no Copy & Paste, and you had to choose among competing apps with different copy/paste methods to get it (partially) working on your system. It's just a bad approach.

I agree. It does serve as another notice to Apple (hopefully) The real thing would be global in the system - no app.

#8 of 23 Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,858 posts

Posted July 30 2008 - 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErichH
I agree. It does serve as another notice to Apple (hopefully) The real thing would be global in the system - no app.
Apple are well aware of that and they are working on copy/paste -- it just hasn't made it in yet.
My Twitter page

#9 of 23 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Advanced Member

• 37,284 posts

Posted July 31 2008 - 03:19 AM

The rumor right now is that Apple has one final iPhone release
planned for late next year that will be the "ultimate" phone that
everyone had hoped for. It should also be out in time for the next
broadband upgrade (4G?).

Consider this only rumor.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#10 of 23 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Nutter

• 14,800 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted July 31 2008 - 04:12 AM

I expect a bump to 32GB and possibly a longer lasting battery by Christmas.

Other nice to haves:
Voice Dialing
Stereo Bluetooth
Copy n Paste

Even if it doesnt get those tho I'm swapping over once my contract is up round the 1st of the year.

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#11 of 23 DaveF

DaveF

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 12,508 posts

Posted July 31 2008 - 05:27 AM

Another key weakness for the iPhone and other smart phones: no voice dialing!

I don't get it. My basic 2-yr old phone does voice dialing over a bluetooth earpiece. Why don't the super phones do this? And how do people survive without it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
broadband upgrade (4G?).
I don't follow cell phone news much. But it seems 3G / cell broadband is only now moving into the mainstream. Is there likely to even be a 4G service next year? (maybe so. I'm not up on these things.)

A coworker showed me the bubble-level app for the iPhone. Very cool Posted Image He also told me that he uses it to diagnose the random failures of the accelerometer subsystem. Very Uncool Posted Image

#12 of 23 Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,858 posts

Posted July 31 2008 - 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
broadband upgrade (4G?).

Consider this only rumor.
This rumor (source?) is guaranteed wrong in two respects:
There will never be "one final iPhone release" unless Apple decides to close its business and return the money to its share holders (apologies to Michael "OK, so the Pocket DJ went down in flames, but now we have Rob Enderle working on our new MP3 player" Dell). Every year or so there will be a new iPhone model or models. New faster CPUs, better batteries, better cameras, video, greater capacity, smaller form factor, higher rez. screen... sky is the limit.

Second, AT&T is barely rolling out their 3G network. 4G sufficiently operational by NEXT year for a 4G iPhone release? Highly doubtful.
My Twitter page

#13 of 23 ErichH

ErichH

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted July 31 2008 - 06:14 AM

The original thread

Apple - Support - Discussions - iPhone 3G Reception Problems? You're ...

The current

I have to say, after scanning both, hardware QC is my number 1 pick. There were a few attempts on ID numbers to track source/build date as well as sim card number differences (a waste of time) with some people reporting good units after July29. I don't trust any of it, but the discussions are illuminating.

#14 of 23 Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,858 posts

Posted August 18 2008 - 05:24 AM

Quote:

I have to say, after scanning both, hardware QC is my number 1 pick. ....
According to this Steve Jobs says that a firmware fix is on its way.
As I still have my 2G iPhone, I can't speak from experience, but lately in New York City AT&T's Edge (2G) performance has been deteriorating badly. I get full five bars at my office but lately Edge has been slooooooooooooooooooow. I'm guessing that in highly populated, upscale urban areas, AT&T's data network (be it 2G or 3G) is getting overwhelmed.

I don't think that AT&T (along with Apple or anyone else) came anywhere close to anticipating iPhones sales/popularity. And as we know iPhone users consume orders of magnitude more data than any other mobile device. Bottom line -- AT&T needs to beef up the network.

It would appear that there is an iPhone issue of some sort as well, best guess is that it handles switching back and forth between 3G and Edge really badly. Of course there may be other stuff as well.

But, I don't think that ANY mobile network ANYWHERE in the world has previously experienced iPhone caliber data demands. When people parade reports of problems in London as proof that AT&T is blameless, I think they are missing the point -- huge surge in data demand == network problems. I think that cell carriers worldwide will get a handle on it, and Apple will fix the glitches on their end, but no one has been prepared for the iPhone's popularity, and catching up will take time.
My Twitter page

#15 of 23 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Advanced Member

• 37,284 posts

Posted August 18 2008 - 08:40 AM

Personally I think the iPhone should have come with two cans
and string.

A lot of unhappy iPhone owners these days where I work.

Ronald J Epstein

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#16 of 23 ErichH

ErichH

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted August 18 2008 - 09:12 AM

All play and no work makes Apple a dull boy.

#17 of 23 Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,858 posts

Posted August 18 2008 - 11:19 PM

Quote:
All play and no work makes Apple a dull boy.
Not sure I get it -- if anything Apple's problem is the opposite -- they have been working way too hard to get any number of project out on a strict schedule -- and the result have been mixed at best. They need a little more play and less work to regroup.

So, did any of you 3G sufferers load the new iPhone 2.0.2 firmware -- does it improve the quality of the string between the two cans?
My Twitter page

#18 of 23 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Advanced Member

• 37,284 posts

Posted August 18 2008 - 11:26 PM

Yeah, I am a bit mystified by Eric's response as well.

Everyone within my personal community has seen no major
performance boost with the 2.0.1 firmware. Since 2.0.2 was
released yesterday it will be a few days before I know the
results of that upgrade.

In fact, yesterday one of my co-workers returned his iPhone to
the Apple store for dropped call problems and was promptly given
a replacement.

For me, the "awe" of this phone has worn off. I rarely use any of
the apps I downloaded. Thus, I am left with a device that hardly
works well as a phone or business tool.

The next purchase I need to make is the Juice Pack due out next
month. That should get me through a single day without completely
draining the battery of the iPod which seems to be a daily ritual.

Ronald J Epstein

#19 of 23 ErichH

ErichH

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted August 19 2008 - 03:41 AM

'All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy' An old saying/proverb. Also used in the Shining (Kubrick) to great effect.

Apple put a product out that you can play with (most apps are useless games) that doesn't work in the most important areas (communication). The Apple shiny is dull.

OK?

#20 of 23 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,846 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted August 23 2008 - 01:22 PM

my first gen iphone seems to work very well.
as a phone and as a little game player.

i have no complaints.

now there are people who have the 2nd gen iphone
who are saying the iphone is...

"a device that hardly
works well"

it took 2 iphones t figure that out?
the second one is marginally better then the first one as far as i can figure.

so you already knew what you were getting when you ought it again this summer.
new apps are showing up every day.
there is bound to be something that can do what you need

facebook.com/whotony

Back to Apple and Macintosh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow