Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Which progressive scan DVD player should i get?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Jae_P

Jae_P

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted November 30 2001 - 09:42 PM

I plan on getting one very soon so i need some help on choosing the right one.Posted Image I just bought a Toshiba 50h71 and my interlaced DVD player needs to go. I only want to spend about $250. I dont even know which brand is good so id be happy to hear some suggestions. THanks.

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Scott-C

Scott-C

Supporting Actor

• 865 posts

Posted December 01 2001 - 03:16 PM

My brother-in-law just purchased a Panasonic RP-56 and I must say, I'm very impressed with this PS player. The picture quality seems outstanding. No chroma bug!

There is a Sony (model number is xx700xx) that I've heard good things about, but I believe it does in fact have the chroma bug (if you notice this).

I believe both of these players can be had for under $250.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Herve Papirer

Herve Papirer

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted December 01 2001 - 11:46 PM

I am very satisfied about picture and sound quality with my Denon 2800 and would buy it again if I had to.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Nathan_R

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor

• 719 posts

Posted December 02 2001 - 03:16 AM

as an alternative, have you thought about a scaler/line doubler instead of throwing out your interlaced player? I bought an Iscan v2 (no component input) and run everything through it except for HDTV signals. It cost me $350 and allowed me to get a better picture from my VCR (*sigh*) and my LD player (*yea!*) while GREATLY improving the dvd picture imho. I have a Panasonic CV-50 interlaced changer and a Pioneer Elite DV-36 progressive changer. The Elite has a decent internal doubler, but I turned it off completely once I bought the Iscan. I think that's been one of the best investments I've made for the HT in recent memory.
Of course, this is just an opinion.
Regards,
~~Nathan
...just lost drunken men who don't know where they are and no longer care.

GeorgiaHDTV.com

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Ernest

Ernest

Supporting Actor

• 528 posts

Posted December 02 2001 - 04:38 AM

JVC progressive scan players are excellent and are reasonably priced.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   John Corbett

John Corbett

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted December 02 2001 - 07:00 AM

I just got a Toshiba SD3750 yesterday and so far it looks great. I will be able to give a better review in a few days as I also got a Toshiba 34HF81 TV yeterday and I am still in tweak mode. However, after spending many hours connecting and setting things up I put on The Fifth Element just check out a couple of fav scenes. WOW!!! I ended up watching the entire film. The SD3750 was putting an excellent picture on the screen.
Reality....what a concept.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Shanthi

Shanthi

Stunt Coordinator

• 109 posts

Posted December 02 2001 - 07:27 AM

I have a Sony DVP-NS700P and very happy. It has a chroma bug but IMHO no big deal and it is I believe under $250.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Jae_P

Jae_P

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted December 02 2001 - 09:15 AM

What is a chroma bug? Do all Sony DVP-NS700P have the bug?

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Scott-C

Scott-C

Supporting Actor

• 865 posts

Posted December 02 2001 - 01:54 PM

This link will give you some info on the chroma bug.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Jae_P

Jae_P

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted December 02 2001 - 02:45 PM

Thank you for the link. It was very interesting and also very confusing. In the article it said something about the picture losing resolution when using a progressive scan dvd player. So does this mean that getting a progressive scan player might not improve the picture but instead make it worse for some tvs?? Then how do i decide if i should get one or not? Could someone explain this to me in lay mans term. If thats how you spell lay man.