Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Any more Studio Ghibli from Disney?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted July 28 2008 - 02:11 PM

Did Disney cease their Studio Ghibli releases? I dutifully collected them as they came out a while back, but there's been this lull (the last release being, what, two years ago now?), and so several films remain unreleased. There's Only Yesterday, Ocean Waves, and the new Tales from Earthsea. Also, Princess Mononoke could use a re-release.

Has there been any word? My Ghibli collection is incomplete.

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,167 posts

Posted July 29 2008 - 05:50 AM

Ponyo on a Cliff should be here in either 2009 or 2010.

Tales of Earthsea can't released here until Lionsgate's licence of the Earthsea property expires next year.

Only Yesterday has been dubbed, Disney just hasn't expressed any interest in releasing it. Would be a good Criterion rescue though.

The Ocean Waves/I Can Hear the Sea rights was apparantly not initially included in the package Disney acquired from Tokuma Shoten (as with Grave of the Fireflies). They have however since issued it on dvd in R2, so most likely Disney views it as a potential under seller (no "name" director, little action, etc.) and is ignoring an R1 release purely for that reason.

There you go.

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted July 29 2008 - 06:51 AM

Thanks for that educated response. Sounds grim, though... One would think that the name Studio Ghibli would be enough for these to sell.

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,240 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted August 11 2009 - 01:05 PM

Ponyo is in theaters this month.

the two trailers make it like 2 different movies.
the teaser seems like a light new take on the little mermaid and says so in the teaser, the trailer seems like the ocean is rebelling and Ponyo has to save the world.

facebook.com/whotony

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Martin Teller

Martin Teller

Screenwriter

• 2,414 posts

Posted August 12 2009 - 04:58 AM

It's pretty much both of those things.

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   IanUngstad

IanUngstad

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted August 12 2009 - 10:09 AM

All these titles are going out of print? Anyone know if the Ghibli films are going to be rereleased in new editions?

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,167 posts

Posted August 17 2009 - 09:22 AM

No plans at all

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   IanUngstad

IanUngstad

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted August 17 2009 - 10:41 AM

Has Disney lost the rights to the Ghibli library? I know that Ponyo just came out...but could the older titles be going out of print because the license has expired?

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted August 17 2009 - 12:20 PM

Or they could be preparing a promotional re-release with Ponyo's DVD this Fall.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,942 posts

Posted August 18 2009 - 04:14 AM

http://www.ghibliworld.com/

^according to that there are Region2 box sets that exists on ebay and so on. but not here. and the ones that are here are obviously R1. there is a rumoured boxset of Blu-Ray versions of these movies =). that'd rock.

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,167 posts

Posted August 18 2009 - 09:45 AM

I still hope that one day the Criterion Collection will step up to the plate and say "Hey can we have some of these?" Princess Mononoke at the very least could use that level of treatment.

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted August 18 2009 - 09:59 AM

I would hope that if Criterion were to ever license animated film, they would dig a bit deeper than the Ghibli films and free some of Warners, MGMs, Columbias Golden Age animation that have been vaulted away for decades...

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   donnie_d

donnie_d

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted August 19 2009 - 10:29 AM

according to ultimate disney there will be re issues this fall for 3 titles...