-

Photo
- - - - -

55 Days at Peking

Robert Harris

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   FrosteyV

FrosteyV

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted July 28 2008 - 03:43 AM

Mr. Harris, do know of any developments in the release of the restored version of this Charlton Heston epic? I heard that it was being restored along with two other Samuel Bronston films, El Cid and The Fall of the Roman Empire. El Cid has already come out and, to me, looks spectacular compared to the print I had seen for the last 20 yrs.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,659 posts

Posted July 28 2008 - 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrosteyV
Mr. Harris, do know of any developments in the release of the restored version of this Charlton Heston epic? I heard that it was being restored along with two other Samuel Bronston films, El Cid and The Fall of the Roman Empire. El Cid has already come out and, to me, looks spectacular compared to the print I had seen for the last 20 yrs.

You might want to check out the A few words about... review database over on the DVD movie forum and you will see that El Cid was not exactly a RAH favourite, you will also find a few words about FOTRE.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   FrosteyV

FrosteyV

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted July 28 2008 - 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverK
You might want to check out the A few words about... review database over on the DVD movie forum and you will see that El Cid was not exactly a RAH favourite, you will also find a few words about FOTRE.

Thanks for the tip. I admit I am just a movie fan and not a real afficionado. I am nowhere near as discriminating as you, RAH, and others, so to me, the restored El Cid was light years ahead of what I had previously seen, but nothing special to others with a real eye for the details and exceptional knowledge about the film restoration processes available. In any case, I still would like to know if there are any developments about 55 Days at Peking.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,512 posts

Posted July 28 2008 - 08:57 AM

El Cid has not been "restored."

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   FrosteyV

FrosteyV

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted July 28 2008 - 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Harris
El Cid has not been "restored."

Sorry if I offended you with my nomenclature. Never mind.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,743 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted February 22 2010 - 01:56 AM

The Weinstein Company has just made a deal to have their DVD's distributed worldwide through Sony.  Right now this only makes mention of upcoming and newer films, such as NINE, but I would like to see the rest of the Samuel Bronston films out on DVD.  I await "patently" for some kind of news.

This has been coming since the Weinstein's sold their part of Genius in trying to straighten up their finances. 
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,659 posts

Posted February 22 2010 - 03:32 AM

I would doubt that Sony handling the distribution for Weinstein will change anything for these titles which in this case means that I find it improbable that the movies will get released anytime soon and highly improbable that they will be released in appropriate quality.

Of course I would love to be proven wrong by the release of both movies in Blu-Ray editions with the usual attention that Sony gives to their classic releases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahollis 

The Weinstein Company has just made a deal to have their DVD's distributed worldwide through Sony.  Right now this only makes mention of upcoming and newer films, such as NINE, but I would like to see the rest of the Samuel Bronston films out on DVD.  I await "patently" for some kind of news.

This has been coming since the Weinstein's sold their part of Genius in trying to straighten up their finances. 

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Nick*Z

Nick*Z

Stunt Coordinator

• 224 posts

Posted August 23 2012 - 11:58 PM

Neither El Cid nor Fall Of The Roman Empire were 'restored' for their deluxe packaged DVD releases. However, the image harvest on both was still light years ahead of the bootlegged copies we've had to contend with from Japanese distributors over the years. With Sony on board there is some minor optimism that these films as well as 55 Days at Peking and Circus World will be given their due some day. Whether any of us commenting on these discussion boards today will live to see it is another matter. Bottom line: all are worthy of restoration and preservation - some are in more desperate need than others. So, hope and pray is the order of the day, and writing letters of inquiry to Sony. The more you hound (politely, though), the more you alert incoming executives of the public interest in such titles. So, write those letters and keep them coming.

Forum Nav Content I Follow