What's new

*** Official THE X-FILES: I WANT TO BELIEVE Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Buzz on this hasn't been very good, I'm sorry to say, and most reviews today are negative. I still want to see it for myself.

Let's hope this doesn't kill the franchise.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The X-Files: I Want To Believe". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "The X-Files: I Want To Believe" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Blake Comeaux

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going see this on Saturday. Roger Ebert gave the film 3½ stars, but I have no idea how familiar he is with the series itself. I am still optimistic, however. I purchased the complete series set a few months ago to prepare. I know it's a standalone film, but I'm sure it will be much richer, if you know the backstory of the characters going in. I look forward to seeing the difference in opinion between those who are and those who aren't familiar with the series.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Thats to bad, i had high hopes for this. I started to get worried when i didnt see any buzz, even a week or two ago. Guess i can skip it at the movies, and throw it on the Blu-ray rental pile. Probably will be on disc in 3 months.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I saw it last night and as a major X-Files fan, I thought it was good but not great (and nowhere near as bad as the online reviews have said). I will say that I don't think there's much reason for the casual fan or non-fan to see the movie but for the dedicated fan, I'd recommend it just because it's fun seeing Mulder and Scully together again even if it's just an average XF story.

There's lots of in jokes with former prodcuers and directors being used as names of places and Mulder's cell phone.

EDIT: As for continuing the franchise, even if the movie had been amazing, it still wouldn't have done well at the box office with all the competition its facing so this is the end either way. Just look at how little people have been talking about it here. And if you can't even get much interest for an XF movie on the internet, there isn't much hope to interest the average movie goer.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
There has been almost no push from the studio on this movie. No one I knows is even aware it is coming out. If they were going to do an X-FILES movie then it should have been and end all-beall, with all the answers we have wanted for years. Just be done with it. Now that will never happen because this turkey will bomb over the weekend.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
I'm surprised by the amount of people who are willing to write this off without seeing it.

I do agree that Fox has been terrible with marketing this one, but I'm looking forward to checking it out tonite.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Does this new movie make sense without having seen the last few seasons of The X Files? I was a fan and watched S2-S7 avidly. But I quit when Duchovney left the show. So I've no idea how the story ended, if it even did.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

So don't sweat not having followed the show in its later years. Not necessary.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Based on the fact I saw this at a 7:00 show on a Friday night in one of the theater's tiniest auditoriums which was only half full -- this is the last X-Files adventure we are likely to see. It will be lucky to finish third, if not fourth behind "Mama Mia" in its second weekend.

After all was said and done, this one's only for the fans. The uninitiated will be able to follow the plot, but the relationship between Mulder and Scully is at the heart of the film, and it will only be truly felt by the fans. Truth be told, I would have preferred if the film had centered on Werewolves as early "spy photos" suggested.

And did anyone else notice the VERY misleading shots in the TV spots? One was a shot of the capital that looks to be on fire that never appeared in the movie. And another was adding a blue glow to when:

Amanda Peet is tossed off the building

I'm all for keeping their secrets, but these shots kinda mislead one into thinking the story is far more epic than it really is.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That's a fair critique but I LOVED that they did that. I'm sick of seeing trailers and commercials that show all the best bits of a movie so seeing misinformation was a nice change of pace (and appropriate since it was The X-Files
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
).

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Had one day left on my Vacation today so I and about 5 others took in the 11:40 am showing of the X-Files: I Want to Believe. I liked it, it was almost refreshing to see a movie that was'nt all CGI and Explosions. But the story was almost too Low Key and probably would've been stretched thin at a single episode length. I just did'nt understand the motivations of the eventual Baddies, still it proved an interesting mystery. I'm glad the film did'nt center around the "Conspiracy" but I still think a Stronger "Monster of the Week" story could've been Made. Duchovny and Anderson still inhabit Mulder and Scully if not a bit world beaten at this point in their lives. I love Movies made in the Winter and to film this in the Dead of Winter only added to the Atmosphere, and the Film did tackle Belief's both Religious and Spiritual, which the series tackled in depth. But this Movies was not served too well by throwing in as a Summer blockbuster as it is clearly not, and Fox would've been better to have held this for the Fall where it would not have had to compete with the Dark Knight. Alas I fear this is the End for Mulder and Scully's adventures but if so the film left them in a good place.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
$10 Million opening weekend? ouch. Guess they are glad it only cost $40 million to make.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
Agreed the main flaw of the film is the whole human body parts ring is too small potatoes of a "villain". They should've gone with something more dramatic and supernatural IMO.

Also they needed at the beginning to shake the Mulder/Scully relationship up a bit. Don't these people socialize with other people of the opposite sex? Couldn't they introduce a little bit of sexual tension/jealousy? I thought they were going to do that with Amanda Peet's character, but she's really given nothing to do in this movie (as is Xzibit).

Still it was enjoyable once it got started. The Father Joe character is an interesting one, but by the third act the movie dissloves into the generic

"One of the agents (Mulder or Scully) is trapped, having lost their cell phone, by evil nutjobs, the other agent (Scully or Mulder) then has to go rescue them, resolution, Scully is still a sketpic despite some amazing coincidences"

I mean that whole formula is sooooo tired.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
It wasn't as bad as some of the critics have been saying, but I felt it wasn't an appropriate storyline for the X-Files. It was fun see Mulder and Scully again, but the whole film felt like a mediocre episode of Chris Carter's other series, Millennium. So much for 90s nostalgia!

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
So did they actually get DD and GA out on a boat to row toward a tropical island in the end credits? Seems like it could have been stand-ins/CGI. It was a quick shot in motion at a distance, so it was hard to tell. And the resolution of even HD will hardly be better.

Of course, it does seem like a good excuse for the principals to start a vacation after shooting in snowy Vancouver.

They still call each other Mulder and Scully
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks