Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Men's Dress Shoes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 OFFLINE   SethH

SethH

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted July 24 2008 - 02:50 PM

I'm in need of a decent pair of dress shoes for work. I read some Forbes article that says a pair of good men's dress shoes start at $350. Well, I'm not going there.

My current dress/work shoes are Merrells that were about $80. I've been very pleased with the comfort, but they aren't the greatest looking dress shoes in the world.

So what brand or shoe should I look at? I'm willing to pay more than the $80 that I spent on my Merrells, but I want the amount to be more like a pair of shoes rather than a car payment.

Priorities are as follows: 1) Comfort 2) Looks

#2 of 24 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted July 24 2008 - 03:40 PM

If I were trying to stay at that level, I'd look at L.L. Bean's penny loafers for $99. Bean manages to makes stuff that looks decent without charging a fortune, and most of their footwear comes in wide sizes. I can't vouch for these from personal experience, but they were the first thing I thought of.

Classic Penny Loafers, Rubber Sole: Slip-Ons at L.L.Bean

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#3 of 24 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted July 24 2008 - 04:15 PM

For something a little dressier (lace up) Johnston & Murphy have a good looking shoe for $160.00.
Remember, people will judge you on this choice.

Johnston & Murphy: DOBSON MOC TOE - Black Nappa
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#4 of 24 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,326 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 25 2008 - 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethH
I'm in need of a decent pair of dress shoes for work. I read some Forbes article that says a pair of good men's dress shoes start at $350. Well, I'm not going there.

My current dress/work shoes are Merrells that were about $80. I've been very pleased with the comfort, but they aren't the greatest looking dress shoes in the world.

So what brand or shoe should I look at? I'm willing to pay more than the $80 that I spent on my Merrells, but I want the amount to be more like a pair of shoes rather than a car payment.

Priorities are as follows: 1) Comfort 2) Looks
I'm just an engineer, so what do I know? But I buy Florsheim dress shoes at DSW for $80. The latest pair, brown dress, are comfortable and I can wear them all day without problem.

If you're in sales, an executive, or earning $300k a year (or just love shoes), get yourself some $350 dress shoes. Otherwise, buy a nice pair for under a $100.

#5 of 24 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted July 25 2008 - 01:38 AM

Sierra Trading Post - Save 35-70% on Famous Name Brands has some nice dress shoes sometimes.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#6 of 24 OFFLINE   Jason Kirkpatri

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit

• 389 posts

Posted July 25 2008 - 03:48 AM

Your priorities are the same as mine. I'm wearing a pair of Dockers with the "all motion comfort" feature. Black shoe, lace up. 1.5 years old and still looking good. Paid $120 Canadian at Shoe Warehouse.

#7 of 24 OFFLINE   Mike O'Connell

Mike O'Connell

Second Unit

• 490 posts
  • LocationOverland Park KS

Posted July 25 2008 - 04:39 AM

I like Rockports. I realize they have the Vibram soles and they do not have the dressier leather soles, but they are light weight and last a long time if you take care of them.

#8 of 24 OFFLINE   KurtEP

KurtEP

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted July 25 2008 - 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Gale
For something a little dressier (lace up) Johnston & Murphy have a good looking shoe for $160.00.
Remember, people will judge you on this choice.

Johnston & Murphy: DOBSON MOC TOE - Black Nappa

I'm wearing a very similar pair of Johnston & Murphys right now and they are quite comfortable (just don't plan on walking too far in them).

If you want to invest in good dress shoes, be sure to find yourself a good cobbler. I've had a few pairs of shoes (notably some Kenneth Coles) that I've had resoled 3+ times. As long as the uppers are looking good, you can normally have this done for far less than the price of a new pair, and if your guy is any good, they'll look and feel like new.

My experience with $300+ shoes is limited, as the one pair I paid that much money for (Bruno Maglis) had to be returned almost immediately after I bought them because of a broken clasp. I find that most shoes from around $120 to $250 are just fine. Cheaper ones tend to be much harsher on the feet, and don't normally look as good. I wouldn't bother paying much more than $300 unless I were going to have them custom made.
Lay down your law books now, they're no damned good -- The Eagles

#9 of 24 OFFLINE   Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted July 25 2008 - 06:01 AM

I wear Allen Edmunds that I bought at an outlet Mall. If you have an outlet mall near by, you can definalty find some well made shoes for good prices and usually from many makers (Cole Hahn, Johnston Murphy, Bass, etc.).

#10 of 24 OFFLINE   Mort Corey

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts

Posted July 25 2008 - 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtEP
If you want to invest in good dress shoes, be sure to find yourself a good cobbler.

Though I wear boots, I can't agree more with this statement. Some of my favorite footwear has been re-heeled, new tips, new soles, etc..for the last fifteen years (about ten times) and they still look like new on top and have become more comfortable over the years. If the lasts (sp) are well made, good foorwear can last almost forever.

Mort

#11 of 24 OFFLINE   Jon_Are

Jon_Are

Screenwriter

• 2,038 posts

Posted July 25 2008 - 12:59 PM

Quote:
...the one pair I paid that much money for (Bruno Maglis)...

[OJ] You'd wear those ugly-ass shoes?? [/OJ]

Jon

#12 of 24 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted July 25 2008 - 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Are
[OJ] You'd wear those ugly-ass shoes?? [/OJ]
Jon

Thought you were being harsh, until I went to the site and saw the "Men's Collection.

As we've heard, "Beauty is in the eye of the Pimp."

Well, it was something like that. Posted Image
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#13 of 24 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted July 25 2008 - 03:25 PM

I’ve not read the Forbes article, but here is another vote for Allen Edmonds. A pair at suggested retail costs in the neighborhood of $300, but you should be able to find them for well under $200,

Once I bought my first pair, I never bought any other kind (for work). They are by far the most comfortable dress shoes I ever owned—and they last a very long time (making the cost actually not too bad). The best combination of looks and comfort for business I found.

I still have several pair, but now I mostly just buy good waking shoes, hiking boots and loafers.
¡Time is not my master!

#14 of 24 OFFLINE   Jon_Are

Jon_Are

Screenwriter

• 2,038 posts

Posted July 26 2008 - 12:39 PM

Quote:
Thought you were being harsh...

The "Ugly-Ass Shoes" comment was a reference to OJ Simson. During his trial, the prosecuters made a connection between the murderer and a pair of Bruno Magli shoes, which he said OJ wore. To which Simpson replied, "I wouldn't wear those ugly-ass shoes!"

Jon

#15 of 24 OFFLINE   KurtEP

KurtEP

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted July 27 2008 - 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Gale
Thought you were being harsh, until I went to the site and saw the "Men's Collection.

As we've heard, "Beauty is in the eye of the Pimp."

Well, it was something like that. Posted Image

I got the joke right away, but I've got to admit that there isn't much in their current lineup that I'd buy. For whatever reason, there aren't a lot of what I'd consider good looking dress shoes out there today. I refuse to spend good money on shoes that look like crap, however, so it looks like I'll just have to lower my expectations. Of course, If I ever find that pair of Mezlans I lost in my recent move, I'll be back in business.
Lay down your law books now, they're no damned good -- The Eagles

#16 of 24 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,657 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted July 28 2008 - 07:00 AM

I buy stuff from SierraTradingPost all the time, they have some good coupons out every now and then and they have a very good return policy too.

i wouldn't spend $350 on any pair of shoes. Heck, my double plastic mountaineering boots weren't even $350 and I would depend on my feet for getting off the mountains in winter.. Posted Image

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#17 of 24 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted July 29 2008 - 01:33 AM

Well Jay, I can’t argue about shoes saving my life, but when back when I worked, I was in my (dress) shoes 10–14 hours a day. Comfortable shoes that looked good were at least as important as my hiking boots that I wore only on the odd weekend (though much more often now).
¡Time is not my master!

#18 of 24 OFFLINE   sapphirekishi

sapphirekishi

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted February 11 2009 - 05:12 PM

You may have a try at www.nikesjordan.com or www.nike-schuhe.com

fresh design and reasonable price
excellent quality and good service

you may find what you need.

#19 of 24 OFFLINE   listenwong

listenwong

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted April 01 2011 - 02:28 PM

Give her love,give her VitaBella My Friend married last month,she bought a wedding dress what she is loving very much.  This site may help you: http://www.weddingdress.com.ph/  Yours sincerely.

#20 of 24 OFFLINE   spslokesh

spslokesh

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted April 18 2011 - 09:57 PM

hello,

I am lokesh from india .I am seller from online fashion site.

please click this link for apparel & garments information...............Apparel & Garments

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow