What's new

Has anybody converted to rentals? (1 Viewer)

Aragorn the Elfstone

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I'm relatively new to blu-ray. New in the sense that I'm now finally enjoying the format - but not so much in the fact that I've had a PS3 for a few months now.

I've been rather reluctant to jump into Blu-ray because I don't want to rebuild my movie collection - which I have no doubt I would do (I'm a sucker for picture upgrades). However, I can't deny the detail and beauty of Blu-ray. The films I watch on the format look so much like true film.

Couple this with the fact that my tastes in film have grown so much in the past couple years that I've bought many more movies than I ought to have - and I've realized that the time has come to either dump my entire home video collection (about 200 VHS and 300 DVDs) and start from scratch (which would be almost impossible) or come up with an alternative.

For me that alternative has to be renting movies only (from Netflix). Buying was easy when I was younger since I was naive and imagined that DVD would be IT as far as the future of home video. My buying only progressed as the years went on. I'm at the point now where I want to not only experience more and more movies, but I want to see them in the best way imaginable.

Does anyone else do this?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I started renting some again w/ the switch to Blu (as has many others it seems), but I don't think I will ever go w/ renting (or VOD/download) alone or even as the primary source of movies for my HT. Heck, I never rented much even before I started buying DVDs and getting into HT about a decade ago.

But yeah, I think many of us can empathize w/ you in figuring out whether and how much you should/will/want to upgrade of your existing collection. I'm still trying to figure that one out myself. So far, I've decided to sell off a bunch of DVDs that I probably wouldn't own if they weren't so cheaply available :D while trying to figure out what (and when, partly due to pricing/sales) to upgrade certain titles. And going forward, I plan to buy mainly BDs only (w/ very few exceptions), but will do so more selectively at a reduced volume compared to before.

Basically, I don't expect to spend less $ on film collecting going forward, just being more selective -- and well, maybe allocating a little bit toward one of the cheaper rental plans for most months like rent-2-per-month-for-$4-to-$5 and switching to one of the higher plans on occasion (like during the summer) when I need to do some catching up. :D

_Man_

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
As far as SDDVD's go Netflix has saved me a bunch of money. BR I'm being more selective in titles I purchase. There are just too many to buy!

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
I too, accumulated a large library of DVD's, and have no regrets.

Since BD has come along, I find that purchases are a bit more selective, based on the film and the merits of the particular disc. It's a real treat to find a decent sale (which are becoming scarce), and at those times I let down the guard and stock-up on a few replacement titles.

It breaks down something like this:

15% purchase of "must have" titles upon release.
25% purchase when the price is right.
60% rental.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Like most, I'm being much more selective with my Blu-Ray purchases as well. I'm also renting a lot of "on the fence" titles since my local Blockbuster starting stocking Blu-Ray discs(and apparently I'm the only one renting them since hardly any are ever checked out). My days of crazy blind buying are effectively over.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Since you've got arguably the best blu player out there (PS3), there's certainly no reason not to buy blu discs, at least for new releases, and replace only the catalog titles you feel particularly passionate about. Even if you don't have an HDTV yet, your PS3 will down-rez blu discs so they'll be perfectly viewable on whatever set you own. No reason not to start future-proofing your collection now.

I wish there were more blus out there that I wanted to buy. There are plenty in the "wouldn't mind having" category, but few right now that I feel I must own, so I do plenty of blu renting via Netflix (do it now before they jack up the price later this year).

I nearly bought Robocop on blu the other day, but came to my senses--I don't want to support Fox's pricing.

Looking over the blu release sked for the next few months, my strategy, with a few exceptions (Starship Troopers, The Doors, Godfather, Iron Man) will remain, "Wake me up when they announce The Lord of the Rings."

--Jefferson Morris

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I too am being much more selective on my purchases, so I'm renting BD from Netflix. I've bought several BDs of favorites & I don't feel guilty about it.

But for most new releases, rental is fine.

With all my entertainment choices, I'm about to get selective with cable too. There is simply no reason to have to pay cable for all these crappy, horrible looking SD channels now, when all I want are the HD channels. Perhaps I'll look into satellite packages.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

Not to mention it is a horrible transfer and NO special features. :angry: Even when that title has gone on sale at my local Fry's, I've told people who pick up the disc to read the cover that they would be much happier with the 2-disc Special Edition DVD released only a few months prior to the BD release.

Jeff McMillan

Stunt Coordinator
After spending years accumulating various media (books, music, cds, etc.) I've made a point to stop purchasing more than I can consume in a timely fashion. Now that I'm on the HD train I rent a lot more than I used to buy, and I'm fine with it, because a lot of the dvds I bought were watched only once or not at all.

I'm also discovering so many movies/tv shows that I enjoy that I don't have the desire/time to re-watch things as much as I used to.

In short: Netflix sure is great.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Aragorn the Elfstone

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John

That's something I've got to watch out for as well. I've noticed of late I'm buying alot of books - and I've yet to get to them. I think perhaps some regular trips to the library are in order.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Good advice. That two-disc edition was very nearly the last standard-def DVD I ever bought. But I've waited so long now that I figure I might as well just keep waiting for Fox to port the whole damn thing over in a proper blu edition. Although I imagine that won't happen at least until Aronofsky's Robocop sequel/reboot unspools (If just about any other director were working on that, I'd be screaming bloody murder, but I consider Aronofsky the arguable heir to Kubrick, so I'm intrigued to see his take).

--Jefferson Morris

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i had no idea aranofsky was redoing robocop.

yes i have started to rent more then ever before over the last 2-3 years.

i ended up with well over 1500 dvds the first 7 years.
I've sold about 500 of those over the last 3 years and will continue to liquidate.

have about 100 or so on hd disc and also have been using netflix for
the majority of my hdm watching.

it is just too expensive and takes up too much space to keep buying them.

Aragorn the Elfstone

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Thanks for the input guys.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
Seems like the best way to go for now is to move forward with new releases on Blu (while being much more careful and selective), and perhaps sell off dvd purchases I bought on impulse (and regret), and consider perhaps double dipping on the big ones later on down the line (Star Wars and LotR come to mind). As for other films I already own that I can't justify repurchasing (95% of my collection), I'll make use of Netflix as I planned.

One thing's for sure: I'd be double dipping on the upcoming SE of L.A. Confidential either way (it's been a long time coming) - so it might as well be Blu-ray. :emoji_thumbsup:

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
With me, it's just "business as usual"; which means:
* New movie in a genre I'm interested in : *** Must Purchase *** (Sci-Fi/Action/Adventure/Disney Classic Animation/Pixar)
* New movie in a genre I have only a mild interest in : *** Rent.*** (Romance/Drama/Mystery/Horror)
* Catalog Titles of interest: *** Place in Purchase Que *** (Meaning I'll purchase them when the budget permits.)

So, as always, its a mixture of purchasing and renting for me.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I've always mixed renting with buying, though in the first couple of years of DVD the rental option wasn't really available.

I take the same approach to BD, I don't need to own everything that gets released nor do I want to but at the same time upgrading my current DVD collection to BD as the titles become available doesn't bother me.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I buy most everything, almost never rent. Of course I rarely see a film in the theater so that money saved there goes towards the purchase of the film. I can own a film on Blu for less then taking the family out to the theater to see a film once.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Of my 100+ Blu-ray discs, quite a few being blind buys, only one so far did I get rid of, Shoot'em up. I liked it but the rewatch factor is zero so I traded it for Twister with an AVS member.

Worse case, I sell it, but at that point I'm still money ahead.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks