Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

surround sound speaker placement?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Cloud

Cloud

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted July 24 2008 - 11:41 AM

Speakers will be on stands, roughly at listening height. What location is better, directly to the left and right of the listening location or slightly behind and to the left and right of the listening location?

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,734 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted July 24 2008 - 02:08 PM

I think surrounds should be elevated and on the back wall to de-localize the sound and improve the experience for those not in the sweet spot. However, I use rather large bookshelves for surrounds and have placed them on stands to the sides and about 16 inches behind me. This sounds very nice in the sweet spot but less than adequate everywhere else. I've considered replacing them with wall mounted bipoles/dipoles, but haven't yet. I didn't like them directly to the sides but someone else might feel otherwise
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Cloud

Cloud

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted July 24 2008 - 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene c
I think surrounds should be elevated and on the back wall to de-localize the sound and improve the experience for those not in the sweet spot. However, I use rather large bookshelves for surrounds and have placed them on stands to the sides and about 16 inches behind me. This sounds very nice in the sweet spot but less than adequate everywhere else. I've considered replacing them with wall mounted bipoles/dipoles, but haven't yet. I didn't like them directly to the sides but someone else might feel otherwise

Thanks for your opinion. I really don't have the choice to mount them on the back wall so I'm stuck with stands. Once I finish the stands I'll probably have to just try them in both locations to see whats better. I just wanted to know what most people do, see if theres an option I'm missing or some way thats better than another.
I'll be using rather large bookshelves as well.