Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

WHV Press Release: Warner Bros. and the Homefront Collection

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,779 posts

Posted July 24 2008 - 10:10 AM

Honor America’s Military Heroes with Ronald Reagan, Irving Berlin, Bette Davis, Errol Flynn, Humphrey Bogart and Barbara Stanwyck Warner Bros. and the Homefront Collection Includes Two New to DVD Titles from WHV November 11 Bonus Features Include Newsreels, Vintage Shorts, Feature Commentary and an All New Documentary Burbank, Calif. July 23, 2008 – Warner Home Video (WHV) gives three cheers for the red, white and blue, saluting the studio’s WWII legacy with a special new DVD collection entitled Warner Bros. and the Homefront. Arriving in stores November 11, Veterans Day, this highly anticipated three-disc set is built around the three all-star, song-filled extravaganzas made by the studio’s finest talents during the tumult of WWII. Headlining the collection is the first-ever WHV release of one of the biggest box-office hits of the era, Irving Berlin’s This is the Army, starring Ronald Reagan, George Murphy and Mr. Berlin himself, presented in its original roadshow format for the first time since its opening engagements. The collection also contains the long-awaited DVD debuts of two irresistible musical cavalcades featuring the biggest WB stars trying their hands at musical entertainment in Thank Your Lucky Stars and Hollywood Canteen. The Warner Bros. and the Homefront collection is laden with an impressive array of special features, including commentaries, vintage Warner short subjects and Looney Tunes classics from WWII. Most significantly, the collection also contains “Warner at War,” a brand-new documentary which explores the studio’s fierce patriotism and unswerving dedication to aiding our country’s armed services on the battlefront, while entertaining those left behind at home. Warner Bros. and the Homefront will be available as a collection only and will sell for $39.92 SRP. Order due date is October 7. About the Films Irving Berlin’s This Is the Army (1943) Irving Berlin showed his abiding love for his country with, among other cultural accomplishments, decades of Broadway hits, the unofficial national anthem God Bless America (Veterans Day will mark the 70th Anniversary since the song was first performed and introduced to America and the world on “The Kate Smith Hour” 1938 Armistice Day CBS Radio Show broadcast, and as recreated in the movie version) and this World War II spirit-lifter. Originally conceived as a Broadway musical, the original stage production featured 350 real-life GIs, giving their singing-and-dancing all to raise nearly $2 million (then an astronomical sum) for Army Emergency Relief. At every performance, the highlight of the show was the moment when its composer, Mr. Berlin himself, would take center stage and sing “Oh, How I Hate to get up in the Morning.” The show was such an enormous success that Warner Bros. assembled a film adaptation with lightning speed, in order to spread the show’s unique blend of patriotism and entertainment to audiences everywhere. This Academy AwardÒ-winning screen adaptation stars (future U.S. Senator) George Murphy and (future U.S. President) Ronald Reagan cast as a father and son producing team who put on one stupendous military musical revue before the son marches off to war. Most of the same GIs who earned standing ovations every night on Broadway appear in the film version, along with leading lady Joan Leslie and guest stars Joe Louis, Kate Smith and even Irving Berlin himself. Directed by Michael Curtiz (Casablanca), This is the Army was an instant big-screen smash with audiences and critics, and became the top grossing film of 1943. All proceeds from the film were donated by Warner Bros. to Army Emergency Relief, and in 1950, Jack Warner donated the film itself to that organization. Removed from authorized distribution for more than a half century, Warner Home Video is proud to make the original roadshow version of the film available, under exclusive license from Army Emergency Relief and the God Bless America Fund. DVD Special Features: · Commentary by Joan Leslie, Dr. Drew Casper · Edge of Darkness trailer · Newsreel · 1943 WB short: The United States Army Band · 1943 WB cartoon: Confusions of a Nutsy Spy · All new WHV Documentary: Warner at War · Original theatrical trailer Thank Your Lucky Stars (1943) The stars come out to play in the joyous World War II-era Thank Your Lucky Stars. A breezy, behind-the-Hollywood-scenes story about young talents hoping for a big break glitters with specialty numbers featuring Golden Era greats. Virtually every Warner star under contract to the studio braved the opportunity to sing and dance for the good of the nation’s morale, with the result making the film an instant classic. The one Warner star who declined to break character was perhaps the studio’s biggest, but Humphrey Bogart’s appearance in a scene being out-tough-guyed by S.Z. “Cuddles” Sakall virtually steals the film. Legendary song and dance man Eddie Cantor takes a leading role in the film’s story, with Dennis Morgan and Joan Leslie featured as the romantic leads. The film also provided Dinah Shore with her film debut, taking on several of the film’s great songs by Frank Loesser and Arthur Schwartz. Warner stars best known for more serious roles let their guard down in memorable musical sequences including John Garfield, Errol Flynn, Ann Sheridan, Hattie McDaniel, Olivia de Havilland and Miss Bette Davis, whose witty, wry, jitterbugging rendition of They’re Either Too Young or Too Old is “the cherry on the top” (Clive Hirschhorn, The Hollywood Musical). DVD Special Features: · Watch on the Rhine trailer · Newsreel · 1943 WB shorts: Food and Magic, Three Cheers for the Girls, The United States Navy Band · 1943 WB cartoon: Falling Hare · Theatrical trailer Hollywood Canteen (1944) The legendary Hollywood Canteen was a massive and glamour-filled nightclub for GIs, located in the heart of tinseltown. Stars from every studio in town sacrificed any extra hours they could to help entertain soldiers who were temporarily in Los Angeles. The Canteen was where Joan Crawford might cook the eggs and John Garfield might scrub out the frying pan. The movie Hollywood Canteen is a snappy, starry salute to that World War II landmark, built around a storyline involving a corporal who wins a date with winsome Joan Leslie. Real-life Canteen co-founders Bette Davis and Garfield plus dozens more luminaries – including The Andrews Sisters, Jack Benny, Eddie Cantor, Barbara Stanwyck and even Roy Rogers with his horse Trigger – dazzle the troops as well as modern fans in “a great big scrambled vaudeville show with enough talent to have made a dozen fine movies” (Howard Barnes, New York Herald Tribune). DVD Special Features: · The Conspirators trailer · 1944 WB shorts: Proudly We Serve, Report from the Front, I am an American · 1944 WB cartoon: Stage Door Cartoon · 1945 WB cartoon: Herr Meets Hare · 1946 WB cartoon: Hollywood Canine Canteen · Theatrical trailer Warner Bros. and the Homefront Collection Street Date: November 11, 2008 Collection Price: $39.92 SRP All films are in B&W except for Irving Berlin’s This Is the Army; All Titles Not Rated

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,388 posts

Posted July 24 2008 - 03:27 PM

Sold. Thanks to Warners for releasing an official "TITA". Some great extras on this set also; I'm particularly interested in the new "Warner @ War" documentary.
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   AndrewWickliffe

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted July 29 2008 - 11:03 AM

Umm... color me unimpressed. Warner could easily have turned out a six movie box set here with unreleased titles. They could have easily turned out three six movie box sets with this theme. I hope they're testing the waters for future releases.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Richard M S

Richard M S

Supporting Actor

• 641 posts

Posted July 29 2008 - 03:55 PM

I am looking forward to seeing all 3 films and I am really looking forward to the extras. I thought I readon another thread one of the films would have an overture and an outtake song. I wonder why they are not mentioned here in this press release.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   BethHarrison

BethHarrison

Second Unit

• 435 posts

Posted July 29 2008 - 05:45 PM

I might pick these ones up as I am a massive WWII history buff. I was just going through the number of actors who actually fought in Europe and the Pacific during WWII and the list is quite staggering. (though technically some of these guys were not contracted as actors at the time) Lee Marvin Tyrone Power Henry Fonda Richard Burton Raymond Burr Charles Bronson Paul Newman Jack Lemmon Clark Gable Jimmy Stewart Tony Curtis Sidney Portier (lied about his age to enlist) Jack Warden Charlton Heston Rock Hudson Burt Lancaster Karl Malden Christopher Lee Robert Mitchum Victor Mature Charles Durning The list goes on....sorry for the ramble

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,231 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 31 2008 - 09:54 AM

Is this worth a blind buy? I've bought most of Warners musical collections, but these seem kinda Broadway style instead of my preferred "Let's put on a show gang!" format for the musicals. If that even makes sense Posted Image

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted July 31 2008 - 11:51 AM

These are the "Let's Put on a Show, Gang!" movies to end all "Let's Put on a Show, Gang!" movies. They reflect the best of WB contract players during the WWII period, often lampooning their movie images, as in the case of Humphrey Bogart and Errol Flynn. Roy Rogers introducing Cole Porter's "Don't Fence Me In" and Bette Davis singing Frank Loesser's "They're Either Too Young or Too Old" are worth the price of admission alone. They do have linear plots and the Panama-Frank script of THANK YOUR LUCKY STARS is quite funny. The restoration of THIS IS THE ARMY is a major archival event. Check out the imdb for the cast members including Irving Berlin himself, Joe Louis, and Kate Smith with many stars from the original Broadway production (Henry Jones, Gene Nelson, Gary Merrill) making their film debuts. Check out Paramount's STAR SPANGLED RHYTHM to get an idea of what to expect!
Charles Hoyt

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted July 31 2008 - 01:02 PM

Yes indeed, that sums it up perfectly! All 3 are wonderful movies, definitely worth a blind buy!!!
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted November 13 2008 - 08:06 AM

DVDBeaver has the screen captures here

Looks very good!!!! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#10 of 12 ONLINE   Rob W

Rob W

Second Unit

• 490 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted November 13 2008 - 08:23 AM

The restored 'This Is The Army' premiered on TCM on Tuesday night ( looking magnificent ) and started with an overture that ran a good 7 or 8 minutes. I'm assuming it will be on the disc as well.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted January 10 2009 - 02:14 PM

So happy to have these films on DVD Posted Image

In case some of you missed it, at the end of the Warner at War documentary, the following films are listed as "available from Warner Home Video" so I guess they are upcoming:

Uncertain Glory (44)
Edge of Darkness (43)
Background to Danger (43)

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,476 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted January 10 2009 - 09:20 PM

That phrase also indicates that they are/were available on VHS tape, so they may, they may not be upcoming on another format. Nice thought though.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users