Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What to spend $500 on?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#21 of 28 OFFLINE   Jim_F

Jim_F

Screenwriter

• 1,078 posts

Posted July 25 2008 - 11:20 PM

Quote:
iPod Touch is tempting Posted Image

One of the coolest $500 toys ever. Holds my entire music collection, a few movies, some games and controls iTunes/AirTunes via my wireless network. Oh yeah, internet and email too. Best of all, it's not a phone.
"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember."

#22 of 28 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted July 26 2008 - 12:18 AM

My wife was in the same situation a few years ago - almost exactly the same amount, and from a grandmother's will (but maternal rather than paternal).

In the end we thought it appropriate to get something that would remind us of the old lady and bought a limited edition print and got it framed. We were fortunate to find an etching of a field of cow parsley, which bizarrely enough was one of her favourite plants. The picture looks great, and (though this wasn't the intention) its value has risen well above what we paid as the artist has grown more collectable over the last few years.

In case you're wondering what cow parsley looks like - http://en.wikipedia....iki/Cow_parsley

#23 of 28 OFFLINE   BrettV

BrettV

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted July 26 2008 - 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF
I was telling my wife that no matter the windfall, it's never enough. Were it $25, I'd be wishing it were $50 to buy a new game. At $500, I wish it were $1500 for a new TV or speakers. Were it $10,000, I'd wish it were $15k to build a new deck. Were it $100k, I'd grumble that it's not enough to retire and live a life of leisure. Posted Image

You are very wise.

Focus on the positive.

It's 500 dollars you didn't have before and that you get to spend on something fun!!!

#24 of 28 OFFLINE   Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted July 26 2008 - 08:40 AM

Quote:
The salsa's on the ground in case the 'chute doesn't open.

Try using Silica instead of Salsa. I hear Silica absorbs impact. Posted Image

#25 of 28 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,869 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted July 26 2008 - 10:15 AM

Rent Brewster's Millions. That should give you some ideas. Run for office as None of the Above. I'll vote for you.

#26 of 28 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,121 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 26 2008 - 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan X
Try using Silica instead of Salsa. I hear Silica absorbs impact. Posted Image
Yes but it also absorbs water and I do not wish to be dessicated. It's not the fall that kills you, but the subsequent dehydration...

#27 of 28 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,651 posts

Posted July 26 2008 - 09:20 PM

Anything you can do together (and without any kids, if applicable). Strictly speaking that would count as an investment, and perhaps even not be unnecessary, but the contents, what you decide to do could meet the terms fully.

That driving trip could be nice. Make sure it includes something slighjtly sinful - like a private sauna.

Cees

#28 of 28 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,121 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 27 2008 - 12:42 PM

I looked at various toys, but I really don't want any new stuff at the moment. I have a hard time finding time to play with the toys I already own. Posted Image

I think we're going to apply our unexpected riches to pay for the season tickets to the local Broadway Theater League for the upcoming '08-'09 season, an unplanned splurge last month. But we had a good time with Wicked and all the shows for the new season look good. So it should be a lot of fun, and a good "investment" for my wife and I to spend good time together.

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow