What's new

What to spend $500 on? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've come into a small inheritance, of $500, and the terms are that it be spent on something fun and unnecessary. I'm not allowed to abide by my nature, and save it, invest it, or pay bills with it.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

So my wife and I are discussing how to blow our windfall.

What would you do with such a sum?

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Terms for real? Is there some way it can be taken away from you if you put it in savings?

If I left money to people I would want them to do whatever they want with it.

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
Two backpacks for back country hikes, if you're into that kind of thing. If not, I still vote for the backpacks (the tent and other gear is another issue).

Balloon trip.

Parachute drop.

Helicoptor scenic tour.

All of it on black! (if you gamble)

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
..or Ipod, new shoes (shoes that are too expensive otherwise), some crazy bottle of wine that is more than $20, but less than $500 (maybe $300?), new 24" computer monitor, a nice piece of art for the home, a new light fixture for the home, multiple annual magazine subscriptions, personal trainers at a gym...too-many-ideas

Marianne

Supporting Actor
A weekend break - you should be able to get a couple of nights in a fairly good hotel and a nice dinner, and pay for the gas to get there, if it's not too far!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
iPod Touch is tempting
Maybe a game system; my wife wants to play the new Lego Indiana Jones game and I need a new game system for that. We've got a zillion magazines already.

A personal trainer is very intriguing.

Artwork for the house... Hmm....

My wife wants a dog. We could pay for half a purebred with this (the gift that keeps on taking.
)

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Get yourself a pair of bass shakers for your home theater, with a dedicated amp. It's in the price range, totally fits the category of unnecessary but fun, plus you can tell us all about it!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

My wife wants to retroactively apply it to our theater season tickets. I'm not sure that's allowed. Ah the burden of unexpected wealth ;)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Well, since I finally received my $600 check from the Feds I'm kind of in the same situation. I thought there were three ways to go. #1-something activity based (parachuting? Don't think so). #2-something tangible (BluRay player?
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
). #3-something irresponsible (one helluva night at the Pub?
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
In my younger days, maybe). So I decided on #2. A Samsung 1400 BR player and two discs are on the way. Still have $280 left so maybe a couple of sway bars for my old Fiat.

As for you, Dave? I'm sure #3 is out of the question so I'd say #2 as well. Get something(s) that you can get the maximum enjoyment out of for the longest period of time. Or go jump out of an airplane! But don't forget the chute. And maybe some more salsa.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

There's your answer: Playstation 3, and assorted games for it including Lego Indiana Jones. I'm playing Lego Star Wars at the moment and it's a hoot!

(And you get a BD player to boot, assuming you don't already have one. But that might violate the "unnecessary" condition -- us HT enthusiasts "need" to have the latest bestest home video format, no? :laugh: )

But the trip also sounds good.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The salsa's on the ground in case the 'chute doesn't open.

I was telling my wife that no matter the windfall, it's never enough. Were it $25, I'd be wishing it were $50 to buy a new game. At $500, I wish it were $1500 for a new TV or speakers. Were it $10,000, I'd wish it were $15k to build a new deck. Were it $100k, I'd grumble that it's not enough to retire and live a life of leisure.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'm getting ready for my yearly October Horrorthon...so....

22" LCD widescreen monitor...probably Samsung ($300)
PC sound system of some significant wattage...probably Logitech ($200+)
Then I'd...erm, well, that's it! Wow! Took care of that wad fast enough!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks