What's new

Mossberg sez don't get Mobile .Me (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This seems silly: typical disconnect between technology pundit and normal user. What "normal" person has two Macs, two PCs, and an iPhone and is working on the same data simultaneously on all four? Besides a super power user for the WJS, who is going to hop between five systems to edit the same addresses and emails within ten minutes?

I'm intrigued by MobileMe, and normal use would be checking it once every few hours between work and home. And a 15 minute sync delay is short enough that it would be on an iPhone by the time you got off the computer and got on the road to go to a party.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I synch 4 Macs and one iPhone, and regularly use a PC that I don't (yet?) synch, and also have a neglected Mac I don't synch. I never thought of myself as a super power user -- the most powerful Mac I currently own is a 1.6 GHz Intel Mac Mini. I'm writing this on a 5.5 year old PowerBook.

I also think that Mossberg's article is essentially correct -- MobileMe -- not ready for prime time. Sure, as a long time .Mac (and iTools before it) user, I'm stuck with it -- I have no choice. Indeed synching actually works much better than it did under .Mac But email has been a disaster.

That said: I think Apple will fix it. This is way too high profile to be swept under the rug. Once they fix it, it will be worthwhile, except it is missing one HUGE feature -- domain names/hosting.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I agree 100% with Ted.

MobileMe is far from perfect. Mossberg hit it on the nose that
everything pushes properly as it should except when using a laptop
and having to rely on sync which does not happen automatically.

In addition, in order to push my non-MobileMe emails I had to go
through an elaborate setup by having everything forwarded through
GMAIL to MobileMe.

The one thing I am confident of is that Apple will fix this. Mr.
Mossberg's article will be a huge help as it will serve as a wake-up
call to Apple to do what they need to do.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I wasn't clear: normal people have multiple PCs. But do most people edit the exact same data on multiple PCs within in a 15-minute window, causing synching problems? This particular complaint seems unlikely for most people, even those with multiple computers and an iPhone. (but I've not used the service so maybe this really bites people)

I didn't see any value in .Mac, but MobileMe is intriguing with its online calendar, mail, and addresses. While not a pressing issue, I'm annoyed by my data scattered across a phone, a PDA, and the computer. MobileMe might unify everything. I'm looking forward to Apple fixing all the other problems.

An aside: my wife first watched the overview video and was completely puzzled why everything was kept "in the Clown". What did clowns have to do with her Mac and her email? :confused: I had to explain that it was "cloud"; a geek term now made mundane by Apple
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
If you thought Mossberg was harsh, wait 'til you read David Pogue's article

DaveF: I don't want to take the time explaining the scenario, but yes, it can definitely happen to the most innocent of multiple machine users. But, in the scheme of things it isn't a big deal. Reviewers point it out, because it makes Apple guilty of (initially) false advertising ("push" and all that).

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Yes but if Apple didn't live and breath hubris, there would have been no iPhone in the first place. To think that they could come out of nowhere with a phone that would turn the entire industry on its head required not just hubris but balls the size of small planets. We want Apple to keep swinging for the fences -- just bring your glove and watch out for foul balls. (OK, enough mixed metaphors).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If you have a chance, I'm interested in how this sync error plays out.

I'm just glad my wife has only suffered the initial few days of outage: that letter to Pogue from the poor woman who lost all her email is terrifiying. There's something profoundly broken when a failure in the online backup system also destroys local data.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
E-mail: there is a Mailbox:Archive Mailbox option in Mail and I'd advise everyone to do it often. It saves all your mail locally where MobileMe can't touch it. You can then recover the whole thing, at worse you'd lose the Mail since the last backup -- not years worth of stuff. I'll do another Archive, just as soon as my Drobo arrives, which is hopefully by Monday at the latest.

I'll tell you one synch error that's driving me bananas -- every day I'm getting a totally bogus Synching Email accounts thing to keep deleted messages on the server (which I DON'T WANT) and there is no option to say -- NO. Just allow or cancel -- and cancel means it will try again the next time it synchs, and allow means it keeps doing it again and again anyway.

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor

I really hope they do. At least this is a start.

I was hoping that MobileMe would be a usefull mobile email/calendar/contacts for me to use from home and work, but unfortunately it's not :frowning:

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
FWIW, in addition to the 30 day extension that Apple gave MobileMe users earlier, I just got notice that Apple is adding another 60 day extension on top of that.

They seem to be owning up to the problems.

-Keith

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yes, got that same notice in my email this morning.

The only problem I have with MobileMe at this point is that
while information seems to sync instantly between my iPhone
and desktop, there is a significant delay to sync information
on my Macbook Pro.

In fact, this is a common problem from what I read. The laptop
relies on a sync function that even in automatic mode only updates
every few minutes.

Sometimes I have to wait 10 minutes for email that appeared on
my iPhone to get pushed to my laptop.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Go into the Mail preferences on your MacBook -- you should be able to get it to check the for new mail once a minute.

Ted

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
If you are anxious and don't want to wait 10-15 minutes for your desktop data to sync with MobileMe and the iPhone, you can always initiate a sync manually from the Sync menu at the top of the screen.

Attachment 1093

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks